Southampton post match thread

That's what Pellegrini has had to consider and the risks and rewards involved and he decided to rest players yesterday. If it backfires on him then he will be open to the accusation that he made the wrong decision but I do not believe that he made an unreasonable decision in the circumstances.

Even a forfeit would've been better than the "team" he played yesterday. It would also have been better for the injury & fitness risk assessment, if I follow your reasoning.
Regardless of Madrid, playing a B-team for a Premier League fixture is a huge sign of disrespect to the competition itself, the opponents your playing and last but not least the travelling support.
I could perhaps have understood a little if there was nothing more at stake, but given how we still have to fight for top 4 and how it's not unthinkable that we'll drop points v. the tarquins next weekend, I can't believe that you would just give away 3 points like we did yesterday.
Yes, Wednesday is an important game, but we're arriving their maybe not fysically but definitely mentally bruised. Not sure which one's worse.

Winning trophies is nice, me , I'd like to walk away from the game and not feel cheated through lack of effort and desire, we are being conned by them, we had players with half there ability 10 years ago putting in more effort, and that's a fucking disgrace with this alleged philosophy we are told is at the club.

I agree. Yesterdays perceived lack of effort was awful. I say perceived, because i think there
were players out there that just ain't good enough. So in effect you are playing with 7/8 players.
So everyone looks shit.

I hear you mate, I really do and I've accepted my views are simplistic at best and no doubt wrong at worst.

That said, in life you have to push yourself and football is no different. Take Sturridge, a player who his own manager has come out and said he needs to earn to deal with a little pain, to play through it, to just get on with doing what he does and that's play football. Its a physical game, a contact sport and you get kicked and you take the knocks and sometimes, its impossible to carry on and play but for me, the majority of the times its a case of mentally being strong and saying I'm going to do this, I'm going to play and do my job.

The poster above named several sporting events, all gruelling and as much a test of the mind and mentality as they are fitness and those competing, do it with niggles, aches and pains but they do it.

Seems to me that the modern day footballer wants to be different and wants to cry off at any and every opportunity and unless !00%, doesn't often want to know and that's sad. given the money and the adulation they receive.

It probably doesn't help when they know they will
I hear you mate, I really do and I've accepted my views are simplistic at best and no doubt wrong at worst.

That said, in life you have to push yourself and football is no different. Take Sturridge, a player who his own manager has come out and said he needs to earn to deal with a little pain, to play through it, to just get on with doing what he does and that's play football. Its a physical game, a contact sport and you get kicked and you take the knocks and sometimes, its impossible to carry on and play but for me, the majority of the times its a case of mentally being strong and saying I'm going to do this, I'm going to play and do my job.

The poster above named several sporting events, all gruelling and as much a test of the mind and mentality as they are fitness and those competing, do it with niggles, aches and pains but they do it.

Seems to me that the modern day footballer wants to be different and wants to cry off at any and every opportunity and unless !00%, doesn't often want to know and that's sad. given the money and the adulation they receive.

Doesn't help that they still get a huge cheque irrespective of performance. Other sports i.e. tennis, you get paid per performance

I agree. Yesterdays perceived lack of effort was awful. I say perceived, because i think there
were players out there that just ain't good enough. So in effect you are playing with 7/8 players.
So everyone looks shit.
11 full internationals in the starting line up, it was apllication, heart and desire which was missing yesterday not ability and that's down to the manager, i guarantee next season if we do get beat it won't be down to lack of desire heart and organisation.

You make some good points but where i can't agree is what will happen when Guardiola takes over, i think the clubs mentality will change almost overnight, a strong,tactically astute,first class man motivator who is obssessive to the minute detail will radically overhaul the lethargy that Pellegrini has created and will inspire and bring out the best in a squad which is going through the motions and the deadwood will be cut adrift ,w'ell finally be managed by top quality.

Yes, we will be managed by top quality. Doesn't guarantee the performance levels will change though. Our squad needs a deep clean

Thing is, if we lose in Madrid this doesn't necessarily mean the manager made the wrong call. He can't guarantee progression, all he can do is maximise our potential to get through the tie. He's done that, now it's up to the players to perform and to a certain extent in the lap of the gods. That's sport.

I agree.

And those two games just can't come and go fast enough.
Absolutely.

Goodnight. And may your god go with you...

hqdefault.jpg

11 full internationals in the starting line up, it was apllication, heart and desire which was missing yesterday not ability and that's down to the manager, i guarantee next season if we do get beat it won't be down to lack of desire heart and organisation.

You obviously think that some of our players are better than i do.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.