Spain v England - Sun 14th July, 20:00 | Euro 2024 Final

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We lack the quality in critical positions - deep lying playmaker and goalkeeper but as a squad we were better than Spain and the manager just didn't have the ability to work things out.

He tried to fit the best players and ended up with a lop sided system.
Wouldn’t even call it lopsided. Maybe in the group stages yes, but it looked like you had it worked out, apart from the fact Kane should have been replaced and regarding Bellingham. He should at least have been subbed at some point to see a different dynamic in play. He definitely has a problem with holding the ball too long. He won’t pass to Phil at all.
That should have been knocked on the head early doors.

The fact is Southgate put these players in and then had your keeper boot it long bypassing the lot of them.
When you tried to play football you actually troubled Spain, but it was for all of about 15 minutes, in total.

Johnny Boulders was immense in CD.

Imagine what attacking outlet he could have been had he used him in the DM role that Pep uses him for.
John Stones is perhaps the greatest example of Southgates inadequacies. We are using the likes of foden and Kane and bellingham having poor tournaments to highlight southgates shit tactics but Stones was England's player of the tournament without a doubt and has a legit claim to make it in the team of the tournament, he was excellent throughout yet we didn't once see him play his natural club game despite the fact we know he's arguably the best around at it and it was something we were crying out for.

He didn't do it because he was instructed to do something else by the manager. We had a ferrari in defence and restricted it's use to doing the weekly shop.

They've been the best players for the best teams in Europe, they weren't carried by anybody, they did the carrying if anything. If you compared the two starting 11s for the final before the tournament, you're taking maybe 3/4 spanish players maximum other the English players and the England bench is vastly superior.

I'm not blinded by anything, we play shit football because of the manager, it's nothing more complicated than that, we all know it and have been saying so for years. trying to claim the players aren't as good as we think when they've proven they are for their clubs is just a weird stance to take.
Then why was the simplest stuff beyond them? It did on my telly at least. Regardless of a shit manager, “brilliant players’ still turn up and show they are brilliant. Who did that? Stones, that’s it. How could he play so great snd the rest looked as far away from brilliant as they did?

Maybe they are brilliant, we will need to wait and see, because there was fuck all remotely near that on show.

Pep can help England perform at their best. Klopp maybe, too. The rest I'm not sure.

Southgate is mediocre but very lucky with draws. Better managers may have to play Spain, France or Brazil before the quarters...England had great generations before and top managers but failed.

The closest they come to being the best was in 1990. Had they won the WC in 1990, it wouldn't have been due to luck. Top team that.
Yeah I would love see someone like Pep take an international side, but I think Pep in particular won't fancy it. Too little room for his tinkering maybe.

There was rumors of Ancelotti taking Brazil, I'd like to see that.

I'm pretty sure I said "on paper". On paper, man-for-man England should have a squad playing as well as Spain, but they aren't obviously. You can't possibly tell me a squad with PL's PotS, Bundesliga top scorer, La Liga's PotS isn't meant to be a good team? I've held the one holding them back is Southgate. England haven't been playing well all tournament, I think I said as much before.

Maybe you see an overrated team, I see a team with very good players wasted by a poor coach.

Again, I reiterate I don't support England. I have no dog in this Euro fight. I was hoping for the more attractive side to win, thus Spain.
Whose paper though? England’s? Nobody else’s.

We lack the quality in critical positions - deep lying playmaker and goalkeeper but as a squad we were better than Spain and the manager just didn't have the ability to work things out.

He tried to fit the best players and ended up with a lop sided system.
6 is the most important position in the squad, one thing Southgate recognised is that Rice isn't good enough for it and used Phillips as a runner for his shit-ness previously. It's why he would always pair him with guys like Henderson, Gallagher and just anyone that will just eat up yards. But Rice IS the runner, he's not a guy who can control games and his positional awareness at a high level is weak. Wharton is the closest England has to a 6, but Southgate does this thing where he calls up players and just never bothers with them (Branthwaite another example). Just remember back to when everyone was imploring him to call up Foden and he left him in the u21's.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.