Spain v England - Sun 14th July, 20:00 | Euro 2024 Final

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Cucurella, not Yamal. More one-dimensional, so should have helped the decision making.

The basics angle I've seen, I expected Walker to beat him to it. That he didn't, yet didn't slide in either, isn't great. Stones was in a decent position, but can't cut everything out. Guehi let the goalscorer get goalside of him, which is criminal in those situations.

I'd say Walker/Guehi 50/50, but I've not had the willingness to rewatch it from the start of the build up, it's possible some midfielders could maybe have helped out more too.

I can confirm it is nowhere close to being Walker's fault, at all.

First off, Rice and Bellingham are far too deep, allowing Zubimendi to receive the ball in acres of space before passing to Olmo, who again has been left in acres of space as Rice and Bellingham have drifted towards the left and are far too close together. At this moment, Cucurella is galloping down the left, if Olmo plays the obvious ball to Cucurella now, then Walker has him covered, and Saka is far too slow in recognising any threat.

This is where Rice makes a tiny mistake. He moves towards Olmo instead of standing off him and cutting out the passing lane inside, Olmo plays a very clever pass inside to Oyarzabal which forces Walker to turn inside, it's a movement that costs him a fraction of a second, which is just enough time for when Cucurella receives the lay-off from Oryarzabal to hit the cross first time.

The next mistake is letting Oyarzabal get in front of Guehi, he checks briefly behind him at the same time Oyarzabal accelerates ahead of him, he should have trusted that Shaw had behind him covered.

Quite similar to Spain's first. Bellingham is slow (he was very McPointy in this game) to get recognise Carvajal in space, Carvajal's first-time ball takes out Bellingham, Rice, and Shaw allowing Yamal to drive at the CB's (here Rice is very slow in reacting). With Mainoo in Nomandsland, Walker has to track Olmo as he is the main threat, leaving Williams free at the back as Saka hasn't picked him up. Saka could see Olmo in space with Mainoo wandering infield and he should have known Walker would have to pick him up, which would leave Williams free, he should have been racing back into the LB position.

I can confirm it is nowhere close to being Walker's fault, at all.

First off, Rice and Bellingham are far too deep, allowing Zubimendi to receive the ball in acres of space before passing to Olmo, who again has been left in acres of space as Rice and Bellingham have drifted towards the left and are far too close together. At this moment, Cucurella is galloping down the left, if Olmo plays the obvious ball to Cucurella now, then Walker has him covered, and Saka is far too slow in recognising any threat.

This is where Rice makes a tiny mistake. He moves towards Olmo instead of standing off him and cutting out the passing lane inside, Olmo plays a very clever pass inside to Oyarzabal which forces Walker to turn inside, it's a movement that costs him a fraction of a second, which is just enough time for when Cucurella receives the lay-off from Oryarzabal to hit the cross first time.

The next mistake is letting Oyarzabal get in front of Guehi, he checks briefly behind him at the same time Oyarzabal accelerates ahead of him, he should have trusted that Shaw had behind him covered.

Quite similar to Spain's first. Bellingham is slow (he was very McPointy in this game) to get recognise Carvajal in space, Carvajal's first-time ball takes out Bellingham, Rice, and Shaw allowing Yamal to drive at the CB's (here Rice is very slow in reacting). With Mainoo in Nomandsland, Walker has to track Olmo as he is the main threat, leaving Williams free at the back as Saka hasn't picked him up. Saka could see Olmo in space with Mainoo wandering infield and he should have known Walker would have to pick him up, which would leave Williams free, he should have been racing back into the LB position.
As I have said a few times,Rice and Mainoo out of their depth

I'm not 100% convinced in Mainoo yet. He's played in part because he's at united and also in part because our other options aren't very inspiring. He's not at the level he needs to be at for me - yet. He may get there, but he might not.

I'm not being too biased here. The kid has a chance. But ideally he's a sub learning the role and playing a part here and there, not somebody we need to rely on at his age.
It seems to me he is very much at the level needed to get into this team. He was okay in a very average team.

It seems to me he is very much at the level needed to get into this team. He was okay in a very average team.

Yeah he's done ok, I agree. But we want better than that. Not saying it's his fault.

When he's involved he does okay, but he isn't involved enough for me. Thats mostly down to England not really having a proper functioning structure to help the team. However, he doesn't have one at united either.

I'd expect a midfielder in his role to be playing 70 passes a game with 90% pass completion. He managed the %, but never gets near the pass volume. And because it's now how united are either, we don't actually know if he can play that way, take up that responsibility.

I'd prefer Rico in there, we know he can play that way, he'd help the others take that approach too.

Cucurella, not Yamal. More one-dimensional, so should have helped the decision making.

The basics angle I've seen, I expected Walker to beat him to it. That he didn't, yet didn't slide in either, isn't great. Stones was in a decent position, but can't cut everything out. Guehi let the goalscorer get goalside of him, which is criminal in those situations.

I'd say Walker/Guehi 50/50, but I've not had the willingness to rewatch it from the start of the build up, it's possible some midfielders could maybe have helped out more too.
Nah Rice and Mainoo being 10 yards to deep - resulted in that goal. Allowed Spain to run at our midfield and pass the ball to whoever they bloody well wanted too.

I'm not 100% convinced in Mainoo yet. He's played in part because he's at united and also in part because our other options aren't very inspiring. He's not at the level he needs to be at for me - yet. He may get there, but he might not.

I'm not being too biased here. The kid has a chance. But ideally he's a sub learning the role and playing a part here and there, not somebody we need to rely on at his age.
Talented kid, but his age shows sometimes with his naive decision making.

Unfortunately, the Rags will play him every game next season on and burn him out before he is 25. There will be a giant contract bump when he is 22/23 years old to one of the most well-paid Rag players. Of course, let's not forget he will be able to learn from stellar role models like Saint Marcus, who once walked the same path as him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.