Dias
Gvardiol
Nunes
McAtee
Foden
Grealish
Savinho
Haaland

Give Ake a bit of game time for Gvardiol if possible. Rest Gundogan and give Nunes and McAtee a start. A good game for Savinho to get a goal, which I think will help him settle. Haaland will want to be the CL top scorer and will have his eye on all the records - he was frustrated to only get one last time out. So give him 60 minutes and let him try and bag a few, before switching to a false 9.

Ortega
Lewis
Akanji
Dias
Gvardiol
Nunes
McAtee
Foden
Grealish
Savinho
Haaland

Give Ake a bit of game time for Gvardiol if possible. Rest Gundogan and give Nunes and McAtee a start. A good game for Savinho to get a goal, which I think will help him settle. Haaland will want to be the CL top scorer and will have his eye on all the records - he was frustrated to only get one last time out. So give him 60 minutes and let him try and bag a few, before switching to a false 9.

I like that team — very skilful — but I just wonder if that midfield is beefy enough. Nunes and McAtee are both of them a bit slight, physically. They could get bullied. Just a question, really, since I don't know enough about Sparta.

I like that team — very skilful — but I just wonder if that midfield is beefy enough. Nunes and McAtee are both of them a bit slight, physically. They could get bullied. Just a question, really, since I don't know enough about Sparta.

I'd expect us to dominate the game and I'd hope Lewis/Gvardiol/Akanji could step in and beef up the middle personally. It's also a good test for them, which I think Nunes and McAtee need to prove themselves. I don't think Pep will pick it, because he seems to regard Nunes as a more attacking player but I personally think he's better as a box to box player and playing a deeper role and I'd like to see McAtee being given the responsibility of playing in a midfield three in a game like this.

Just on how Sparta play, I've only seen highlights of their CL games so far but they seem to defend quite deep and play on the counter and target set pieces. They've had under 30% possession in both CL games so far so considering who they've played they'll be happy to sit in and let us have the ball. Which is why I'd quite like a more creative midfield and Nunes' pace to deal with any counter attacks.

Last edited:
I agree, but only in a positive sense, i.e. I'm not reasoning “Oh let's chuck in the no-marks for this one”. I'm not saying that's your reasoning — I hope it's not. I believe that there's a skilful player there, skilful in a way that Phillips clearly was not and was never going to be. I may be wrong, but I don't think he's played a full ninety minutes for us in any match, or if he has, it's one or two. I'd now like to see what this guy is made of, if he gets proper time over a whole match. If he creates nothing, if he contributes nothing, fair enough. Sub him towards the end. But I've actually noticed him doing good things, in flashes, that have gone under the radar with many on this forum. My doubts about him concern his physicality, and his general willingness to mix it, rather than his skill.
Also, given how much we've struggled against teams that we thought we were going to be blowing away recently, I wouldn't be inclined to underestimate this lot. I'm expecting a 2-0 or 3-1 victory, in short, just getting the job done. We want to be well placed in the final table.
I understand the point you are making, but i hardly think we have any "no-marks" at this club. Our back-up/squad eleven would, at very least, hold their own in the PL IMO.

Walker out with a knee injury. No return date, but didn’t sound too serious.

KDB not fully fit. Still building up fitness.

Bobb back Jan/Feb according to Pep.

Walker out with a knee injury. No return date, but didn’t sound too serious.

KDB not fully fit. Still building up fitness.

Bobb back Jan/Feb according to Pep.

Wasn't expecting Bobb to be back as soon as that, although lots could happen before then to push it back. Would be brilliant to get him back at that time of year. We're still playing CL league phase games in January as well as the FA Cup and after a hectic December. There's really no respite this season.

With the way we've struggled to break teams down at times, Bobb in the form he was in, would have made a huge difference.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.