Spiders

I haven’t validated it, but I was speaking with a work colleague the other day who lives in Perth, and he was telling me nobody had died from a Spider bite in Aus for 40 years. This subject came up, as he’d just been bitten by a red back 4 times. He lives on a farm, and didn’t even bother going to a doctor.

Doesn’t make them any less ‘scary’, but pretty sure lots more people die of bee stings in the Uk than spider bites in Oz.
1 death in 2016 was the first in 37 years.
From 2000 - 2013 there were 11994 hospital admissions due to spider bite in Australia.
It isn’t that spiders are not a risk, it’s the ready availability of anti-venom that means few deaths.

1 death in 2016 was the first in 37 years.
From 2000 - 2013 there were 11994 hospital admissions due to spider bite in Australia.
It isn’t that spiders are not a risk, it’s the ready availability of anti-venom that means few deaths.
Makes sense. I just got back from living in Oz, but where we were there weren’t any dangerous spiders. Needed to give the sea a wide berth though, as every thing in it was trying to kill you either deliberately or inadvertently.

Seem to have a plague of them here.
In the last week I’ve caught and released down the garden five big dark brown house spiders that I caught in the TV room.
That's cruel. House spiders need to be inside, they die a slow cruel demise if put outside. Use your size 9s like everyone else and get it over with.

Nothing wrong with spiders, slugs are the most disgusting creatures on this planet and probably on every other planet

Yes. This is Palm Cove, just north of Cairns. A popular tourist destination and a great spot for visiting the Great Barrier Reef. They do not put this in the brochure:

I camped at Palm Cove for a month, the last week there they closed the beach down due to the Box Jellyfish

Is it true there are sea snakes and sea crocodiles in Oz?

The world's most venomous sea snakes are found in Australian waters, as are the world's deadliest jellyfish ..... and one of their land snakes is reckoned by experts to be THE most venomous snake on Earth .... fortunately it lives in the middle of nowhere and doesn't come into contact with humans much.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.