Splitting the Bill

About twice a year we meet up with a group of a dozen ex work colleagues for a meal and a catch-up. All is very pleasant until the bill arrives.
Then invariably the waiter plonks a bill down for the whole table and the couples who have ordered three courses, including the most expensive mains suggest we just split it equally and then round it up for a generous tip.
Me and wifey don’t have huge appetites,so we just have 2 courses and relatively cheaper mains.
Any practical suggestions of a repeat performance at the next catch up?
You sound cheap

Why not just stay at home, save everyone the hassle. You must not enjoy it and by writing here it shows you thinking about it a little too much

You can have table service at McDonald's now and it's provided for free. Order on the app or big tablets and select table service rather than collect from counter.

Really?! Wow… Mind blown.

Gibbo and I are having a day out in town on two weeks Friday. I might try and take him to Vegan Shack but if he insists on dead animal then a McPlant for me it is.

About twice a year we meet up with a group of a dozen ex work colleagues for a meal and a catch-up. All is very pleasant until the bill arrives.
Then invariably the waiter plonks a bill down for the whole table and the couples who have ordered three courses, including the most expensive mains suggest we just split it equally and then round it up for a generous tip.
Me and wifey don’t have huge appetites,so we just have 2 courses and relatively cheaper mains.
Any practical suggestions of a repeat performance at the next catch up?
I have a very British approach to this.

I order from the mid range of prices. I typically order chicken or maybe a burger. Never the steak. I don't drink that much so won't be the top spender there.

As for number of courses. I will always go 1 or 2. Never 3.

Others will do what they do, I will observe, mental notes taken re those having a well done sirloin and a glass of red with it.

I won't argue when it comes to splitting the bill.

But for those who take the piss. I just think less of them. And I hold on to that view for a very long time.

We had curry club for a few years when I lived near to Brick Lane in East London.

You could take your own booze in so we’d generally say a starter each and main each before splitting the bill. A quid or two matters little.

I do miss those nights!

Really?! Wow… Mind blown.
Lol. I generally don't do it as I see it as taking the piss, but if you've got a big order or are a parent with small kids it makes more sense.

(you also can't tip staff in McDonald's as it's against their policy)

Gibbo and I are having a day out in town on two weeks Friday. I might try and take him to Vegan Shack but if he insists on dead animal then a McPlant for me it is.

I guess it’s the school holidays so perhaps you should get back to your colouring
Not me on here starting a thread about what could amount to £20 / £30, no doubt it causes you anxiety as all is well until the bill comes, then you get all sweaty and nervous

You and wifey with your small appetites should stay at home, get a meal deal from some supermarket

I have a very British approach to this.

I order from the mid range of prices. I typically order chicken or maybe a burger. Never the steak. I don't drink that much so won't be the top spender there.

As for number of courses. I will always go 1 or 2. Never 3.

Others will do what they do, I will observe, mental notes taken re those having a well done sirloin and a glass of red with it.

I won't argue when it comes to splitting the bill.

But for those who take the piss. I just think less of them. And I hold on to that view for a very long time.
But what if it is agreed at the beginning, before any orders are made that all can get what they want?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.