Spuds v CITY - Official Match Thread

lionheart said:
Freestyler said:
Barry out, been shit for 2 months, was dire at Bolton, and i'm sorry but sylvinho isn't up to it, de jong back if well.
Spuds 2-1.
Are you on medication? Sylvinho was excellent, much better than Bridge. Not sure if SWP or NDJ will be fit. As Harry will be chomping on the bit after Saturday, I fear a Spurs backlash. Could be a humiliating 4-0 defeat.

Indeed !!! You can tell he is very experienced. Had a few OK shots too !!

If everyones fit:

....................Given....................
Richards....Touré....Lesscott....Sylvinho

..........de Jong.....Kompany..........
SWP.............Tévez..........Robinho

.................Adebayor.................

If de Jong/SWP are out:

....................Given....................
Richards....Touré....Lesscott....Sylvinho

.........Zabaleta.....Kompany.........
Robinho.........Tévez...........Petrov

.................Adebayor.................

2-1 city.

lionheart said:
Freestyler said:
Barry out, been shit for 2 months, was dire at Bolton, and i'm sorry but sylvinho isn't up to it, de jong back if well.
Spuds 2-1.
Are you on medication? Sylvinho was excellent, much better than Bridge. Not sure if SWP or NDJ will be fit. As Harry will be chomping on the bit after Saturday, I fear a Spurs backlash. Could be a humiliating 4-0 defeat.

I dont know wtf you are talking about, Sylvinho was great

aiming for 4th correct prediction in a row... away win

score 0-1 ade ??

Look at Wolves and how they earned their win at Spurs. Can we emulate that?

''a tenacious, determined and disciplined display as they effectively suffocated Spurs''y
''But McCarthy, up against Spurs manager Harry Redknapp for the first time, formulated a plan to nullify that threat and it was executed superbly by his players''.
''Wolves showed tremendous resilience''
''Inevitably, Wolves's strategy was to sit back and protect their advantage''
''no more than Wolves deserved as they shut Tottenham out''

Doesn't sound like us at all does it?

Worryingly: ''Tottenham's desperation was evident, with high balls going into the box aimed at substitute Peter Crouch''

2 - 2 and I'll take yet another draw in this one ta.

We can win this one ,im alway's more confident against footballing team's, we need all our flair player's IMO, Spur's aren't physical . . . . .Bit like us.

....................Given

Micah........Toure..Lescott.....Sylvinho

SWP..........NDJ.....Ireland.......Robbie

.................Ade.....Tevez.

If De-Jong is still out then put Barry in, and if SWP doesn't make it I'd play Weiss, there left handside is there weak spot.
2-0 or 2-1 to us.

We could get turned over at Spurs, because we will go there and try and play football. If you do that away from home against teams with the goal-scoring power of Spurs, you have to be very very good, and right on the top of your game

A point would be a great result.

woodgate and/or king may well be wheeled out for this one. they are only expected to play once every 6 months, but normally do very well. i'd expect one of them to partner bassong, who has been pretty good.

on a similair topic, it wouldn't be a surprise if modric made his return for an hour or so, so they have plenty to to boost their hopes of a strong reaction to the miserable defeat against wolves.

speaking of that game, the fans have slaughtered harry on the forums. people who think we are an exceptionally fickle bunch might be surprised by the level of criticism aimed at redknapp generally, especially as their four games before that include the 9-1 win, and draws away to villa and everton. the other loss was at the swamp of course. like us they are bemoaning the inability to role over the bottom teams, but they have a slightly better record than us in that area.

no surprises, the fans see this as their biggest game of the season so far. the wolves game seems to have knocked their confidence a little, but they think they always struggle against teams who shut up shop, and will fare better against us. they think our defence is worse than theirs. perhaps the consensus is a high scoring game where they sneak the winner. the fans seem to want a positive approach to the game... like some of us.

me, I'm not too sure. if they struggle against teams who shut up shop, then maybe the hughes will look to play a containing game for the first sixty minutes, and hope for a moment of brilliance. if it's not happened, then he'll switch it up. this nearly worked at liverpool... to be honest, I think spurs likely to be a fair bit better going forward than liverpool were when we faced them, but more likely to concede early on.

de jong would be a big asset in this game as defoe will drop deep, so I think he'll be sent out in his thermals and a facemask, if necessary.

slyvinho probably has the experience to make him the best candidate to keep tabs on lennon. barry is just too slow, and hughes won't want to break up toure and lescott at this stage. whoever plays there will not be making too many forward runs, I imagine, but it's just as important IMO to keep corluka from moving the ball forward and building up the play, or to catch him out of position. we surely have the pace to give him problems.... robbie would be a good option, but my feeling is that he struggles more with left footers than the right footers who look to cut in, so petrov must be considered.

huddlestone and palacios are a fine match in midfield, between them they have energy, pace, strong tackling and the ability to bring the ball forward (palacios) and height, strength, and outstanding passing (huddlestone). the flip side is that they don't really protect the back four in open play, so there should be space behind adebayor for tevez to scheme.

wright phillips would have been ideal to target their left back, as, there will be space there on the counter for someone to get shots away.

the worry is that they are good at unpredictable movement and passing in the opposition half, but the high pressing game we play might nix that before it gets started. I don't recall them being good from set plays, or playing a lot of crosses in, where we have struggled. interesting to see if crouch gets the nod alongside defoe.

really, we do have more than a slim chance here, even without SWP and Bellamy. if we go all out tho, they could easily grab an early goal and make us look a bit foolish as we press forward.

so I expect something like ireland on the right drifting infield, robbie on the left, dejong and barry in the middle, with tevez and adebayor drifting out to the flanks a bit.

With NDJ now being unavailable (per OS latest) I now predict a 5-0 defeat. Seriously, we are the type of team that Spurs love to roll over, primarily because we have no clue how to shut up shop and defend. Never mind, we should win our next two games thereafter so it won't be the end of the world.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.