Spuds v CITY - Official Match Thread

Going off what Hughes has said, it seems likely de Jong will be OK for this game, whereas SWP probably won't. If that's the case, we need to approach this one like we did against Chelsea, by playing a high line and by relentlessly keeping the pressure on from all our attacking players - with players like Tevez, Robbie, Ade and Ireland, there are few teams in the league who can cope with this approach, and Spurs are hardly the most defensively robust team we'll come up against this year. They will leave space between their midfield and their defence, which Robbie, Tevez and Superman should have a field-day in.

At Bolton, our defenders had a worrying tendency to all head upfield at once, leaving us incredibly vulnerable to the break on a number of occasions. A better attacking team, which Spurs undoubtedly are, would have really punished us for this. A more rigid, defensively focussed approach will be needed, with the defenders making sure they know their positions and staying disciplined - and we've shown we can do that with these players against the Rags, Arsenal, Chelsea, Villa, etc.

Toure and Lescott won't be bullied like they were by Davies and his ilk at Bolton, and its this approach that seemed to rattle them. They aren't the type of defenders who necessarily cope that well with the rough and tumble aspect of the Premier League, which is why they look better against the better teams.

I would play the same formation as against Chelsea - a kind of 4-2-3-1

GK - Given
RB - Richards
CB - Toure
CB - Lescott
LB - Sylvinho
DM - de Jong
DM - Barry
RM - Ireland
AM - Tevez
LM - Robinho
CF - Adebayor

Subs - Taylor, Onuoha, Zabaleta, Kompany, Weiss, Petrov, Santa Cruz

If they are playing Bale instead of Assou-Ekotto, we're laughing - Ireland and Tevez should have a licence to run at him and put him under pressure, as he hasn't got a clue what he's doing when it comes to actually defending. We know all about Corluka too, who has his strengths but also his considerable weaknesses - Robbie should have a good day against him and his funny run. Lennon is the big threat for these, and Barry will need to be covering the left side of the midfield to support Sylvinho, as Robbie isn't going to help him out much. If Barry and Sylvinho can keep Lennon quiet, and we get de Jong to rough up Defoe early on in the game, I quite fancy us for a decent result against these. 3-1 to City

-----------------Given

Richards----Toure----Kompany----Lescott

----------------De Jong

SWP------------Ireland------------Robbie

----------Tevez------Lazyador

Lazydor, made me laugh big time. Anyway De Jong has Swine flu rated very doubtful. SWP has an ankle knock rated very doubtful. Bellamy one match ban. That being the case team picks itself:

---------------------Given-------------------------

Richards-----Toure--------Lescott------Silvino

Tevez-----Kompany-------Barry------Robinho

---------------------Ireland--------------------------

--------------------Lazyador------------------------

Subs - Taylor, Onuoha, Zabaleta, Weiss, Petrov (if fit), RSC, ???

Subs wise the cuboard looks bare with injuries, flu and suspensions.

Tevez spent ost of his time playing on the right for the scum. That will be the starting 11 IMO if SWP and De Jong are not fit to play still a very very good side on paper.

I think this will be a draw 2 - 2 Defoe and Keane for Spuds, Tevez and Ireland for city.

alera said:
Lazydor, made me laugh big time. Anyway De Jong has Swine flu rated very doubtful. SWP has an ankle knock rated very doubtful. Bellamy one match ban. That being the case team picks itself:

---------------------Given-------------------------

Richards-----Toure--------Lescott------Silvino

Tevez-------Ireland-----Kompany-------Barry

--------------------Lazyador------------------------

Subs - Taylor, Onuoha, Zabaleta, Weiss, Petrov (if fit), RSC, Robinho

Subs wise the cuboard looks bare with injuries, flu and suspensions. Tin hat on putting Robinho on the bench, I dont believe Hughes will start him though, doesnt travel well cant remember him ever having a decent game away from home for us.

If Hughes wont play him away at Bolton he certainly wont against Spuds where a point would be an excellent result. Barry has played on the left loads of times for villa and England and can do a decent job over there. Tevez spent ost of his time playing on the right for the scum. That will be the starting 11 IMO if SWP and De Jong are not fit to play still a very very good side on paper.

I think this will be a draw 2 - 2 Defoe and Keane for Spuds, Tevez and Ireland for city.

So good we play with 10 men, hey Alera. I like your thinking.

Whoops well spotted. I guess Robinho plays if Hughes likes it or not. Or maybe Petrov if hes is fit then he wants to go to spuds anyway so will want to put on a show.

This one will be really tough, especially without Bellamy and most likely SWP and De Jong, I'd take a point now if offered it. These are the kind of games where a draw isn't a bad result at all.

I'm more than a little concerned about a left side of the team that could well be Robinho and Sylvinho, Aaron Lennon will tear those tow apart!!

stavros said:
team to beat spurs.

..................given.................

richards...toure...lescott...sylvinho

ireland.....de jong.....barry....robinho

...........tevez.....adebayor...........

This....but it also makes you see how much we could use another right winger in Jan for cover when SWP is out.

doomuk said:
stavros said:
team to beat spurs.

..................given.................

richards...toure...lescott...sylvinho

ireland.....de jong.....barry....robinho

...........tevez.....adebayor...........

This....but it also makes you see how much we could use another right winger in Jan for cover when SWP is out.

why buy when we have weiss?

We need to score the 1st goal or we could be chasing the game, and Spurs are the Best team in the country at exploiting space in behind the back 4.

Heavy defeat is possible. For once I really hope Hughes plays a defensive game, but I just can't see that happening. if we play an open game, the pace of Lennon will destroy our left side.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.