Spurs (A) | Post-Match Thread

Was just answering in a thread that seems to have been pulled. But a similar conversation seems to have gone on in here;

He was great 1st half but tired 2nd half. Change should have been made in that position to put Rodri in at that point. He has to get through a lot of work and he had "proper" games for 3 months unlike most of the squad. If he is managed corectly, he will still be great for us in the games where we need him
I thought Fern was excellent in the first half but the unfortunate truth is you really only get 60 minutes out of him at a maximum, these days. Certainly in the high octane level of the premiership.
An hour a week. Love the guy, but We really do need a long term replacement. Having said that I d still play him in that hour ahead of anyone else we have.

I haven't read the full thread content so aopologise if this has been mentioned.

One thing I have noticed is that FFS is less effective through a game when Cancelo is playing, and thats because Cancelo is less likely to overlap preffering to come inside. This cuts off Mahrez's prefered route, but also the full back is always going inside without the threat of being caught out by overlapping full back.
Also when Cancelo is played the ball coming inside he's on his wrong foot and can only go one way, but Mahrez doesn't want the ball back outside as thats also on his wrong foot. Cancelo is better when Sterling is out right stretching the defense on his right foot.
I just think we should have a run of games with a right footer on the right wing and vice versa and see how that goes because we are predictable at present

Sorry i think Pep talked bollocks when making his excuse for picking a weakened side, Tottenham are faster and fitter that us ,we could not match them even if everyone was match fit, we beat them by putting our best team out and letting skill shine through,.
It is also worrying that our only striker is not starting and when it is obvious that others can not do the job he gets put on the wing? i do hope that Pep is not doing a Maureen and deliberately playing a weakened side so he gets his transfer money.
No guarantee at all we’d have beaten them with our strongest side.

Our weakest side is better then most in the prem aswell, so it’s not that bizarre to think he might rotate players and use our full squad.

your talking as if you would do a better job then pep ;)

We was shite. We have been shite since March. We have a tough few games coming up. If we continue to be shite we will be in the shite come October. Not lookin very promising at moment.

No guarantee at all we’d have beaten them with our strongest side.

Our weakest side is better then most in the prem aswell, so it’s not that bizarre to think he might rotate players and use our full squad.

your talking as if you would do a better job then pep ;)
No he isn't, he's commenting on a forum about what he saw and putting his opinion. Don't be so protectionist

About 400m worth of players started that FA cup semi final including Laporte, Cancelo, Jesus, Dias, Sterling and KDB. Not bad for a U12's team.

I can't even remember how Rodri and Fernandinho played tbh, but clearly Pep wasn't happy and perhaps thought, I am not fucking watching that again next week.

You said

I offered a potential explanation for why he picked Gundogan. So far, your reasoning has been "bRaINFarT". Pep has never publically stated why he did what he did, he doesn't need to.

For the last time, I have stated on multiple posts, I THINK IT WAS THE WRONG DECISION.

However, it is possible to put a reasoned argument forward that Pep thought Gundogan would be better than Rodri and Fernandinho.

Before we played Dortmund he said;

Easy to see why he thought someone who is "incredible as a holding midfielder" might be decent enough to play as a holding midfielder in the CL final would you not say?

The way people talk about this decison its like we dropped Ederson and played Carson in goal with Samaras up top with KDB on the bench.
Again, what's the value of the squad got to do with our best team?

We knew what our strongest side was based on form, & that included one from Fern or Rodri. If Pep thought Gundog was all you say he was as a CDM, why not play him there all season?

You state Guardiola made that statement before our match with Dortmund, but neglected to comment on what he said AFTER the CL Final. Pep said that the omission of Rodri & Fern from the beginning was tactical. He went on to say that City have an expansive attacking ethos, & that is how he wants us to play.

We both know the probable truth of the matter is Guardiola yet again threw a surprise curveball to wrong foot Chelsea, but he only ended up throwing his own players, & our plans into disarray.

Pep & Pep alone decided to rip up what had got us to the final, & apply a new set of tactics for the CL Final....... His plan failed miserably! :-|

Yet again, Pep did what many fans & pundits feared he'd do. I've no idea why you're even attempting to defend & justify that fateful move, but I won't as I knew as soon as I saw the line up how the match would probably pan out. We knew our strongest team & best formation. Pep should have shown faith with what got us to the final. That defeat was all on him.

I would agree with the sentiment that it's last season and over with but I'll give this a reply.

We played Chelsea in the league with Rodri in midfield - we lost. We played Chelsea in the FA Cup with both playing - we lost.

Is it out with the realms of logic that the greatest manager in the world looked at the two games against Tuchel and decided that rather than trying the same thing again, he would actually just play a complete possession type team to control the tempo and the match efficiently? It turned out to be the wrong choice but this hounding of Pep for trying something different is honestly rather boring now. As so often happens in football, if it came off he would be lauded as a genius and we would be continually going on about how great he is. In fact, if we would have played one or the other, I really wouldn't be surprised if people had a dig and asked why we played the same as other previous 2 defeats as it didn't turn out well in either occasion.

Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up, say the system didn't work, applaud our opponents for being better and get on with it. It appears you'll be using this as a beating stick for Pep which is completely your prerogative but fairly unfair imo considering how much success we've had, how many domestic records his teams have broken and how many times his system and tactics have paid off and ultimately changed the landscape of British football
Mate, I'll make really simple.....

Ederson
Walker
Stones
Dias
Zinchenko
Rodri/Fernandinho
Gundog
Silva
Mahrez
Foden
KDB

This is the team we wished for & many expected, but just as many feared Pep would mess with what worked trying to pull a surprise. He pulled a surprise alright. He surprised & flumoxed his own players & we lost!

Again, please explain why Pep chose to do this for the single most prestigious match in our history?

Again, you mention Rodri & Fern playing in recent Chelsea defeats. OK then, can you supply both starting line-ups so we can contrast & compare within the context of a FULL line up.... :-|

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.