Spurs (H) 2nd Leg - Post Match Thread

VAR as it stands cannot give a definitive answer in really tight offsides. They appear to be using bog standard 25fps video, so even if they pick the very best freeze-frame (not a given) this could be as much as 1/50th of a second out from where the ball is actually struck. A player can move nearly 20cm in 1/50 sec; a ball can move even further than that. This means that when players are moving (as they usually are) either in to or out of an offside position, it just isn't feasible for VAR to be certain when you're dealing with a really tight one with just a few centimetres in it. This should all be quite obvious but there doesn't seem to be any recognition within the VAR system (or from the TV pundits) that their freeze-frame is going to be anything less than perfect.

All that said, I don't think we can grumble about the Aguero off side last night.

This is a great point.

Its one of the most valuable sports in the world but key decisions have now been handed to a system which is technically not fit for purpose. The VAR video feeds should be UHD 60 to 100 fps video, the equipment is available to do it.

The Sergio 'goal' last night was a lot closer than it looked, probably less than 100mm in it... more video frames could well have confined he was onside

VAR as it stands cannot give a definitive answer in really tight offsides. They appear to be using bog standard 25fps video, so even if they pick the very best freeze-frame (not a given) this could be as much as 1/50th of a second out from where the ball is actually struck. A player can move nearly 20cm in 1/50 sec; a ball can move even further than that. This means that when players are moving (as they usually are) either in to or out of an offside position, it just isn't feasible for VAR to be certain when you're dealing with a really tight one with just a few centimetres in it. This should all be quite obvious but there doesn't seem to be any recognition within the VAR system (or from the TV pundits) that their freeze-frame is going to be anything less than perfect.

All that said, I don't think we can grumble about the Aguero off side last night.
Maybe it should have a tolerance favouring the attacker? Maybe they should use 500fps to reduce max player movement to 1cm? Maybe we just carry on as we are? Either way we have a line, we have a rule and we stick to it.

Maybe it should have a tolerance favouring the attacker? Maybe they should use 500fps to reduce max player movement to 1cm? Maybe we just carry on as we are? Either way we have a line, we have a rule and we stick to it.

Yes, and I'm happy with the idea of VAR stepping in where there is the proverbial "obvious error". But this requires the people using VAR to at least understand what its limitations are. Maybe they do understand the limitations, but are now scared of being roasted by TV pundits who have always put way too much faith in their freeze-frames.

At half-time last night they showed a VAR off-side decision from the Liverpool game where the ball was completely hidden behind another player. I honestly couldn't understand why they'd gone to the trouble of drawing in lines to show whether the attacking player was in an off-side position, when you literally couldn't see any of the ball.

Only just been able to bring myself to go online.

Gutted doesn’t even come close. The feeling of unconfined rapture followed by absolute desolation is one I’ll never forget.

We lost because of the same old problems. The first two spuds goals were utterly needless (as was the goal on the first leg). Individual errors. Let’s just say the third goal may have been disallowed against the istree clubs. They’ve got battered for 160 out of 180 minutes across two legs but gone through.

Working away in Edinburgh and so Bluemoon advise was to watch City in the 3 Sisters bar. Thinking it was a place where City fans from the area would go. Fucking rammed with Liverpool fans !! Not great when you celebrate like a Loony when Sterling bags the winner only for hundreds in the pub to go mental when VAR was given offside. Horrible night, great game but can’t help but believe UEFA are bent !!

Strange bunch. They were watching city not Liverpool?

Also any Liverpool fan with half a brain (rare I accept) should know that it would have been far better for them if we’d progressed

What a fantastic game of football tho, marred by two dodgy decisions, as it was, it was still a nail biter.

Don't get me wrong I'm gutted. Absolutely.

Felt like crying when they scored that last goal, but then what seemed like an age of holding breath for the var decision anger followed.

Then more joy at Sterling's ht, then disbelief we could be denied.

Again.

Pep's said we did our best, & on the night, we just faced an incredible team that stretched us for over 90 min.

Regardless of var, a team was going away last night as losers and after that game it was a pity someone had to lose.

Fu(k var & fu(k uefa, the corrupt bastards.

I wonder wtf will happen on Saturday now. I can't go, I'm working away.

Win that & we win the treble. That's all we need to focus on now.

VAR completely ruined the evening for me. What is the fucking point of watching a live game then having to stand around waiting to see if you can celebrate a goal based on a decision by some **** watching TV (which might turn out to be wrong)? Win or lose last night felt like going to watch games has changed significantly, and not for the better.

Just to put a downer on things, we also lost to a Spurs team without a couple of their best players.

In good news maybe Pep will convince the board for the need for a few top class players in key areas in the summer as its clear we're just short.

That was just so fucking cruel. So fucking cruel.

The anti-93.20.

Never felt shock like that. The joy, the linesman's flag down, the spurs players on the floor, not appealing. Then offside.

Gutted. We deserved more.

I'll get over it though, as long as they don't go on to win the thing. And we win the league.

It came down to very small margins. 1st leg, we missed a penalty. That was huge in the context of the tie and then defended awfully for their goal. Yes their 3rd last night should not have counted but we created most of their chances by giving the ball away sloppily inside our own half, which we have done so a lot this season. We still had chances to win but our set pieces are a joke, even free kicks these days, Sane aside v Schalke, look poor. We all know we are probably the worst team in Europe for corners though last nights were a new low.

Going back to small margins, we were unlucky Kane crocked himself. Spurs look much better without him and with Son up front. Look at the winning run they had when he was out earlier this season. Then another injury last night which led the the guy coming on to score the 3rd.
Honestly cannot complain re the result, it could have gone any way last night and bar letting Spurs waste time constantly from every throw in and goal kick and not adding enough injury time on for the injury and time wasting, and being lenient on yellows (how did Rose stay on the pitch), compared to the cheat we had last season v Liverpool i have no real issues with the officials in the 2 legs. Crap defending and goal keeping is what has knocked us out.

Going back to Rose, what a horrible little cheat of a player he is. Always been a diver but last night was pathetic, especially when he held his face and replays show he was not even touched

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.