Spurs (H) 2nd Leg - Post Match Thread

Maybe. I made that point at the time. Pep subsequently said that he felt the team did not have the physical capacity to play our normal attacking game at Spurs. Can we argue that given we are sat at home, whilst he trains the players?

I am worried about Sane. I find it very odd that his involvement in this tie was almost non-existent.
I'm worried about Sane. Its very, very disturbing. Sane wins games on his own. Its not like he doesnt track back - this element of his game has improved massively this season. Maybe it's a Sane/Mendy thing. Pep didnt play them together at the start of the season either.

Our defending has been poor on too many occasions this season - especially in the Champions League I think Pep needs to start CL games with a double pivot. Gundogan clearly can't play the role on his own. Our DM was non existant last night till Kev was pulled a bit deeper.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd scrap VAR altogether.

For me, it ruins the whole experience and that's watching on TV. God know how crap it is at game where you don't have a clue what's going on and are left standing around for minutes.

IF it stopped refs and officials from cheating, then I would put up with it. But clearly it doesn't. We have the wide open cheat-goal of (a) deciding what to review and what not to review, and (b) refs deciding to look at the video and ignore the bloody evidence anyway. Complete joke and a waste of time to the detriment of the game imo. I'd rather just put up with the normal cheating rather than video assisted cheating.

You thinking Aguero was bad last night shows how much you know. Fuck me, just noticed your Gundogan comment too. Try another sport, petal.
Didn't say Sergio was bad actually but it's all a matter of opinion friend. Maybe you should have stayed monosyllabic - that way I could give you the benefit of the doubt. Gundogan the great - lol

Can see this having a longer term effect on things as it's known that we have a decent number of fans who already have distaste for CL, and believe in conspiracy's against us and this just fuels that further.

In order to keep top players you need to be seen as one who gets CL, not any domestic treble. They don't give a care about that.

We have some players already looking to possibly go in Leroy and Gundo and I think this might settle it for at least Leroy, even if he doesn't track back enough.

Pep's approach leaves us vulnerable here at this level as teams get better because they know what he wants to do, and just wait for their chances on the counter where the talent is good enough and we seem to have mentality problems.

I think some of that comes from the changes to the back 4 that are constant. Yes, injuries are partially to blame, but our 2 centre halves change all of the time. Are there any top clubs or even good clubs that do so as frequently? Our depth there, as well as the injury records of Kompany and lately Stones, plus concerns about Nico leaving combined with Vinny's age, needs for Pep's system, his emphasis on a happy dressing room and a possible transfer ban lead him to possibly let such a rotation go on.

Kev, Raz and Bernardo were immense, but it wasn't enough.

3 goals at home is a sad thing to ignore over very borderline VAR decisions had they gone either way. Both went against us, but I don't think it was a conspiracy.
Utter Bull-Shit

I agree, VAR is being used incorrectly. There is no consistency the ref should review anything that is referred to him on the pitch side monitor, he did for Llorente but not for Sterling. Above all else VAR is supposed to be used when there is a clear and obvious error. The linesman didn't even flag and the ball fell into Aguero's path by way of a ricochet it wasn't played to him and the last clear touch came off a Spurs player so VAR shouldn't have even been consulted for the offside in my opinion.

Moving forwards though VAR is going to be in every game in the very near future and there will be plenty of times when it works out well for us.

What really stinks for me is the away goals rule as that needs scrapping its outright unfair just like golden goal was.

In theory VAR should favour us in the long run but last night that Sterling goal getting chalked off was simply one of my worst moments in nearly 50 years of being a season ticket holder - not that I actually used my seat last night (had to give it away due to being at work 200 miles from MCR) - I celebrated like a maniac and I'm one of those guys that often checks the liner has not flagged before getting carried away. A horrible fucking experience.

That needs to change. If it is marginal, they should flag if a goal is scored and then let VAR decide. If there's no flag the goal should then stand. The flag would hopefully prevent the sort of cruel and unusual punishment we endured last night. Sure it would delay some celebrations of perfectly good goals but surely better that way round.

On the other hand, if the flag is raised players tend to stop. If what you suggest was applied, they would be told to carry on every time the flag is raised which would waste a lot of time and energy.

Couple of unfortunate mistakes by Laporte last night punished in first half. He has hardly put a foot wrong all season so impossible to be angry with him really.

Just totally gutted - not much more to say really. Saturday cannot come soon enough.

The atmosphere last night at the stadium (not just at the start) throughout the whole game was truly magnificent. Then after the fallout of the drama the posts on this this thread showed something similar to the atmosphere -

It showed that we City fans do actually care about wanting to win this competition. My one reserve is this, and it is about the booing. Would the UEFA bigwigs who sit in their suits want a team in a CL final beamed all around the World, and have the anthem at the start booed for all to hear and witness ?? I dont think they would

I honestly believe it is time to put this booing to bed, the atmosphere we created last night, the consistent singing, shouting our team forward and the jeering of the opposition when they had the ball is what is needed now
If you are suggesting that we stop booing because it has gone on a bit too long then I empathise, if you are suggesting we stop because the big wigs at UEFA will conspire to ensure we never win then I passionately disagree with you. That is EXACTLY the reason we started in the first place and it would be more reason to CONTINUE.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.