Spurs (H) Post Match Thread

Hang on, i'm going to nip out and get us one. I present to you Aymeric Laporte. Job done. Anything else you need while i'm shopping?

Laporte is a good player but I would not say he’s a dominant centre back or leader, I would also suggest he backed off way to much for Spurs first goal. Our defence at times looks a shambles when teams run at us especially on counter attacks. Which is peps style and I accept that. We missed stones yesterday and he’s still in laportes category for me. Our depth for this position is very weak and will be an issue this season especially in Europe.

99% of games we will be fine but those big games like today we need a leader in defence.

We are lucky to have Laporte but he’s no captain

Every decision the refree does during 90 minutes is done publicly. VAR should be the same. Otherwise who fkng knows who is in the control room? This just stinks corruption. A few guys can alter the league depending on their own interest, while the rest of us sheeps just stand there looking like morons.

VAR has done nothing good for the sport so far, and I’m not just talking about our own 2/3 disallowed goals. It’s too slow, it completely ruins the beauty of the moment (and what is football if not for the moments?). That’s the only question we need to ask ourselves.

If this sport comes down to measuring millimeters because this is where we are heading, I think most fans would abandon the sport. But the worst part is that the rules surrounding VAR are not consistent. Sure, every situation is now recorded and can be reviewed on a screen. But put Oliver, Dean, Atkinson, Marriner, Moss in the same room watching the same screen. Most likely, and despite being able to see the video 500 times again and again, they would all have different opinions. This is a huge problem.

Even with the disallowed goal it feels like they are looking for any excuse to rule it out and make us drop points. They had to have known at half time, everyone saw they missed the penalty shout.

Although it's the weaker claim of the two we had, they could fully justify giving a penalty there and still rule out the goal if they must. It's not like anyone would argue there wasn't a pull on the arm, some may say it is harsh to give a foul but then so is the handball itself and so was not giving Rodri a penalty. Strict letter of the law on one rule but not the other in the same incident doesn't seem right either.

I suppose they may have been too focused on the handball to look for anything else. I'm not really sure what they would do if they spotted it though. Would they discount the handball because of the pull on the arm and the goal stands or would they give two decisions(handball and a penalty for the foul before it)?

Wouldn't that have been hilarious if the two decisions were separated? Rule out the goal.... Spurs players and fans celebrate... but wait it's going back to VAR again for an earlier incident... and the ref points to the spot. Spurs fans faces drop, Gundogan scores.

Either way the conversation would be so different had they given us something today. It seems they are not interested in balance. City dropping points is more important to them perhaps...

Great observation.

Of course it will...if that came off van dykes arm today and salah slotted it in they'll be celebrating 3pts....if Pogba gets wrestled to the floor at the swamp then var will kick in and they'll get a penalty. Keep watching coz it'll fuckin happen sooner rather than later mark my words.

the fouling debate over var will rage on as its interpritation so yes the pgba example you give could happen (and would happen with or without VAR)

if it happens with a handball incident and it isnt checked (and it leads to a goal - remember it will only be checked if it leads to a goal - for instanc if Salah misses in your example it wouldnt be checked by the rules of VAR - i think) - then yes I agree it would need investigation and allergations of curruption could be levelled as the new rules state that accidental or deliberate handball no matter how it happens means that it is no goal.

now the only bit extra to that is if the handball can be detected and Im sorry to say, the one by Laporte (even though completely accidental) was detectable.

Every decision the refree does during 90 minutes is done publicly. VAR should be the same. Otherwise who fkng knows who is in the control room? This just stinks corruption. A few guys can alter the league depending on their own interest, while the rest of us sheeps just stand there looking like morons.

VAR has done nothing good for the sport so far, and I’m not just talking about our own 2/3 disallowed goals. It’s too slow, it completely ruins the beauty of the moment (and what is football if not for the moments?). That’s the only question we need to ask ourselves.

If this sport comes down to measuring millimeters because this is where we are heading, I think most fans would abandon the sport. But the worst part is that the rules surrounding VAR are not consistent. Sure, every situation is now recorded and can be reviewed on a screen. But put Oliver, Dean, Atkinson, Marriner, Moss in the same room watching the same screen. Most likely, and despite being able to see the video 500 times again and again, they would all have different opinions. This is a huge problem.

And you couldn't be certain that they wouldn't change them the next match they have after Danny Murphy has put his ignorant fourpennorth in with his jaundiced and Dipper-centric view of what the LotG should be!

Did the ball even change direction after it brushed the hair on Laporte’s arm?

In what possible way has the ball brushing past Laporte’s arm hair given us an advantage to the point where they feel the goal should be disallowed?

His arm couldn’t have been any closer to his side, and he tried to head it. How can anyone with any footballing brain think that this should be disallowed.

Somebody needs to call the police because we’ve been robbed ffs

This has ruined my weekend. The one thing I look forward to all week is watching City, and this bullshit has effected me way more than it should. Piss off VAR.

My thoughts exactly.

The game should of been put to bed long before var had a chance to do us over. I’m sure Pep will be thinking the same this morning

The thing is, the decisions when to use and how to interpret VAR are not made by an "it". VAR doesn't over-rule anything or anyone. It is inanimate and just a tool being manipulated by sn unaccountable individual.

exactly -so there is room for human error or if you want to look at it from a really negative point of view, room for corruption.

However we have to believe (or we may as well not bother with the game) that that wont happen. If we belive its corrupt, why bother? Do i believe it is corrupt; no....do i belive refs (with or without VAR will make mistakes - yes...but more importantly do i believe different refs iwll interprit the same incident differently - yes....30 years ago noone would have been arguing about that being a foul by Lamela on Rodri - it was part of the game just as the inicident where Ottomendi went up for a high ball with their keeper, eyes firmly on the ball not even looking at the keeper and they have collided and the ref deems that a foul by Ottomendi - do i think thats foul no,,did the ref, yes...does that rule need looking at - yes but even then it will all come down to intepritation

I like how in cricket you hear the third umpire deliberate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.