Spurs (H) - Sun 3rd Dec, 16:30 | PL | Pre-Match Thread

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the latest I can put my ticket on the exchange thing.
It's given quite bad snow tonight in buxton.
Ideally I'll wait to see what it's like in the morning and make a decision

City and Spurs

By an act of fate Manchester City always seemed to get involved with Tottenham Hotspurs more than random chance would otherwise indicate. Up to my late teens this seemed to take the form of City being to some degree Spurs bogey side. This was no more so than in Spurs double winning season of 1960/1. Spurs had won their first eleven league matches of the season and were expected, given City`s relatively low league position, to beat City in their twelfth league game which was a midweek evening fixture at White Hart Lane on the 10th October 1960.

The Spurs side that day was essentially the one that won the double with the exception of Jimmy Greaves. He did however feature in City`s home match against Spurs the season following Spurs Double played, on the 3rd March 1962. City won by six goals to two with Peter Dobing scoring a hat trick. Surprisingly my memory is not of any of City`s goals but of one of Spurs, both of which were scored by Greaves. I was behind the goal where it was scored, the then open north end at Maine Road. The shot from Greaves surprisingly beat Trautman at his near post from approximately twelve yards.

The next memorable City Spurs match I remember and which I attended was on the 9th December 1967 at Maine Road won by City by four goals to one in atrocious wintry conditions. Because of the weather there were very few matches played that day and as a result it dominated BBC`s match of the day on television that evening. The commentator, Kenneth Wolstenholme christened it “the ballet on ice”.
I was at both those games. After the 6-2 win, the bus conductor on my way home, refused to believe we had beaten "The Mighty Spurs" by such a score, called me a clown. Somebody had an early copy of the "Pink" from the van to prove it. The conductor came back and refunded my bus fare.

For the "67" match, took me hours to drive up from Hereford (car had no heater), absolutely frozen throughout the match, left my flask of hot Vimto in the boot. actually glad when the dame ended. Another frozen return journey (no radio either).

I was at both those games. After the 6-2 win, the bus conductor on my way home, refused to believe we had beaten "The Mighty Spurs" by such a score, called me a clown. Somebody had an early copy of the "Pink" from the van to prove it. The conductor came back and refunded my bus fare.

For the "67" match, took me hours to drive up from Hereford (car had no heater), absolutely frozen throughout the match, left my flask of hot Vimto in the boot. actually glad when the dame ended. Another frozen return journey (no radio either).

Hats off to you for being at both matches.
Just out of curiosity: how advanced was the motorway network by that point? (I know very well that there isn't a motorway very near Hereford, because I went to school not very far from there, although I see that there is now something called the M50, which can't be too far away).
Also, what kind of car doesn't have a heater?! Even in ’67? Or was it just broken?

Fun fact about Hereford (which I'm sure you know, but others may not, and probably don't give a damn): all the original Pretenders, bar Chrissie Hynde, came from there.

Edit: well, I stand corrected! The M50 extension is much older than I thought.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.