Spurs Post Match Thread

FanchesterCity said:
It was hardly an earth shattering performance from City, in fact for periods it had a real feel of 'clinging on'. However, we did cling on when we needed to, and we ourselves had some moments when we were putting Spurs under pressure too.

If I was a Spurs fan I'd been feeling a little hard done by, but that's football. You win some, you lose some. We've lost games like that ourselves.

We got the 3 points though, and that's what matters.

On the Aguero penalty, I'd said it was an innocuous coming together (wasn't intentional), but it's still a foul. Sergio's ankle was clipped. I'd probably hate it to be given against us, but technically, an accidental foul is still a foul - ergo penalty.

Defending from set pieces wasn't great, especially corners. I'm worried we're playing the offside trap very dangerously. A better quality opposition that Spurs might have put us to the sword.

Anyway, hopefully Hull can do us a small favour tomorrow, and we can salvage a respectable runners up position.

Amazing how differently people see things on here. Maybe it looked different on the telly, but I went today and thought we were very good value. A very disciplined and professional performance away to decent opposition. Not scintillating by any stretch of the imagination, but the only times I was worried all afternoon was whenever they got a corner or free kick. Lots of very good individual displays as well

Sir Knives said:
I don't know what game some of you were watching but Manchester City FC were anything but superb today. The team just basically did what it has been doing all season; doing enough to get by against less than average opposition and holding on for the win. Alot of the players need to be shown the door asap and replaced with players that can play with a bit of sense (and urgency). I also get the feeling Mr. Pellegrini doesn't get it at this level either, it just seems like the only things he cares about are formation and attacking, he has even sacrificed the once formidable defense this team was known for.

To become a European elite you have to change the way the team plays, everytime I watch City these days it feels like something is off, almost like you have all the ingredients of a top team but for some reason aren't making it happen, I never could quite put my finger on it but now I think it has dawned on me. I came to the conclusion that City lacks two things: 1) the ability to retain possession and 2) the ability to press correctly. To rule Europe you have to know how to keep the ball and move it well, have quick interplay, penetrating runs, etc but everytime I see a City player with the ball he either holds the ball far too long and takes unnecessary touches or he tries a sexy hollywood pass to a teammate that's 25 yards away, but watch a Barcelona, Chelsea, or Bayern and see how quickly they move the ball around with short passes and not giving the opposing team time to regroup, when they do lose possession it doesn't take long for them to get it back because they press, which brings me to my next point.

The players you have leak the ball like a sieve and I don't understand why so many expensively priced players can't win a ball back from the opposition, there were times today I would see some of your players practically give up balls that were easily chase-able and would scream and ask myself "Why did he let that go?" "Why not press?" I don't know whether pressing is not emphasized with Pellegrini or whether the players are just lazy but without it you can never be a top tier team. I can now understand why the people at the top want to go for Pep (if the stories are true), he's not just a manager but a coach that will bring this style of play into the team at the same time stamping his authority.
The Chelsea remark apart, he makes a good point. In fact he makes several. It's drilled into Pep's teams that if they lose the ball they are expected to get it back within 15 seconds or so.

Exeter Blue I am here said:
FanchesterCity said:
It was hardly an earth shattering performance from City, in fact for periods it had a real feel of 'clinging on'. However, we did cling on when we needed to, and we ourselves had some moments when we were putting Spurs under pressure too.

If I was a Spurs fan I'd been feeling a little hard done by, but that's football. You win some, you lose some. We've lost games like that ourselves.

We got the 3 points though, and that's what matters.

On the Aguero penalty, I'd said it was an innocuous coming together (wasn't intentional), but it's still a foul. Sergio's ankle was clipped. I'd probably hate it to be given against us, but technically, an accidental foul is still a foul - ergo penalty.

Defending from set pieces wasn't great, especially corners. I'm worried we're playing the offside trap very dangerously. A better quality opposition that Spurs might have put us to the sword.

Anyway, hopefully Hull can do us a small favour tomorrow, and we can salvage a respectable runners up position.

Amazing how differently people see things on here. Maybe it looked different on the telly, but I went today and thought we were very good value. A very disciplined and professional performance away to decent opposition. Not scintillating by any stretch of the imagination, but the only times I was worried all afternoon was whenever they got a corner or free kick. Lots of very good individual displays as well

I didn't go (saving my pennies at mo') and won't pretend it wasn't tense but honestly didn't think Spurs were going to score.

Ali Benarbia said:
Sir Knives said:
I don't know what game some of you were watching but Manchester City FC were anything but superb today. The team just basically did what it has been doing all season; doing enough to get by against less than average opposition and holding on for the win. Alot of the players need to be shown the door asap and replaced with players that can play with a bit of sense (and urgency). I also get the feeling Mr. Pellegrini doesn't get it at this level either, it just seems like the only things he cares about are formation and attacking, he has even sacrificed the once formidable defense this team was known for.

To become a European elite you have to change the way the team plays, everytime I watch City these days it feels like something is off, almost like you have all the ingredients of a top team but for some reason aren't making it happen, I never could quite put my finger on it but now I think it has dawned on me. I came to the conclusion that City lacks two things: 1) the ability to retain possession and 2) the ability to press correctly. To rule Europe you have to know how to keep the ball and move it well, have quick interplay, penetrating runs, etc but everytime I see a City player with the ball he either holds the ball far too long and takes unnecessary touches or he tries a sexy hollywood pass to a teammate that's 25 yards away, but watch a Barcelona, Chelsea, or Bayern and see how quickly they move the ball around with short passes and not giving the opposing team time to regroup, when they do lose possession it doesn't take long for them to get it back because they press, which brings me to my next point.

The players you have leak the ball like a sieve and I don't understand why so many expensively priced players can't win a ball back from the opposition, there were times today I would see some of your players practically give up balls that were easily chase-able and would scream and ask myself "Why did he let that go?" "Why not press?" I don't know whether pressing is not emphasized with Pellegrini or whether the players are just lazy but without it you can never be a top tier team. I can now understand why the people at the top want to go for Pep (if the stories are true), he's not just a manager but a coach that will bring this style of play into the team at the same time stamping his authority.
The Chelsea remark apart, he makes a good point. In fact he makes several. It's drilled into Pep's teams that if they lose the ball they are expected to get it back within 15 seconds or so.

It's not absolutely necessary to win the ball back with such haste though. It works for some teams, but there's plenty of other teams who don't and still manage to win games.
We don't have the skill level across the team to play like Barca. The likes of Silva and Aguero (and even Nasri in this specific regard) are great with rapid rapid and close control, but there's plenty in our team who just aren't that sort of player... they have different attributes.

Personally I think to become a European force it takes:

1) Time
We've really not been at for very long as a club, or even as a consistent team.

2) Better Players
We've had some wonderful players in recent years, but we've still been shopping in tier 2, and probably still will be for some time. Don't get me wrong, we've been buying some serious talent, but it's still not at the level of Bayern / Barca / Real. We still can't go out and buy Bale, or Suarez 'just because we can'.

3) Team Ethic
This is probably one of our biggest issues. We've got some players with a clear desire to do well for City, and some where it's questionable.
We aren't going to be a club that every young Spaniard or South American dreams of playing for. We are a club they are willing to play for at a price (and if we're lucky, they'll fall in love with us). One day we MIGHT become such a club, but right now, we're like 90% of other 'top' clubs... a step down from the European greats.

It's easy to say we should be like Barca, or Real, or Bayern etc, but the fact is, we need all three of the above before we can be serious about competing with them. We're a bloody good team, but not a European great one.

Exeter Blue I am here said:
I watched TV, and your post is exactly how I saw it.

I can judge how a game goes, whether there or on TV, by the number of expletives I use, first 10 minutes today it was up there with the worst games of the season, but after that barely any, till the last couple of minutes. I even said to my missus, that it was the most 'relaxed' 1-0 win I can remember in a while.

cleavers said:
i8rags said:
It's a fact we could of been two down. Simples unless your an idiot.
The only FACT is that we weren't, so maybe you should check who is the idiot ?
Am I losing it, coz I'm sure it's a fact that we could of been, I mean it seems to of ruffled a few feathers that 4 letter word, is it really a that much of a drama, I was going to go to Spurs today but I didn't, that's a fact, I think. Anyway me and my facts have been told off, so I'm gonna have a few brandies and get myself out of here, either way 'twas a good result.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.