Spurs thread 2014-2015

The 49ers said:
The credit goes to Sherwood. He had worked with a lot of those players as boss of the u21s so wasn't scared to chuck them into the full team even when spurs fans were saying they didn't want Kane in the team

Pochettino looks for now like another AVB riding the coat tails of one player having an amazing season. Take Kane out and it's a level below Stoke. The goals are so poorly spread out in their team that stop the supply to Kane and you stop spurs.

You can't even give him much credit for Saints as losing him and top players has made them even better.

Arsenal,Liverpool and United are having inconsistent seasons yet Spurs remain behind all of them and a severely depleted Saints team.

Well done To Kane who'll probably win player of the year being English but I'll wait till Pochettino does more with the squad before I get excited about spurs being less spursy.

I think Pochettino has done well this season. When you look at the Spurs midfield as individuals, it is poor. Mason is a Championship player, regardless of his England call up and Bentaleb is tidy but has no brain and no attacking threat/ability. However, the midfield has managed to match the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal on occasions this season. It takes a good manager to do that.

I once read something where Mourinho, Guardiola and Pellegrini had all said that Pochettino is a good manager. Managers don't often compliment each other so for Pochettino to receive plaudits fom three very good managers, he must have something.

Manc in London said:
The 49ers said:
The credit goes to Sherwood. He had worked with a lot of those players as boss of the u21s so wasn't scared to chuck them into the full team even when spurs fans were saying they didn't want Kane in the team

Pochettino looks for now like another AVB riding the coat tails of one player having an amazing season. Take Kane out and it's a level below Stoke. The goals are so poorly spread out in their team that stop the supply to Kane and you stop spurs.

You can't even give him much credit for Saints as losing him and top players has made them even better.

Arsenal,Liverpool and United are having inconsistent seasons yet Spurs remain behind all of them and a severely depleted Saints team.

Well done To Kane who'll probably win player of the year being English but I'll wait till Pochettino does more with the squad before I get excited about spurs being less spursy.

I think Pochettino has done well this season. When you look at the Spurs midfield as individuals, it is poor. Mason is a Championship player, regardless of his England call up and Bentaleb is tidy but has no brain and no attacking threat/ability. However, the midfield has managed to match the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal on occasions this season. It takes a good manager to do that.

I once read something where Mourinho, Guardiola and Pellegrini had all said that Pochettino is a good manager. Managers don't often compliment each other so for Pochettino to receive plaudits fom three very good managers, he must have something.

I am sure I read it somewhere that it was Mourinho who recommended Pochettino to Southampton, he did it with Boro to get Karanka so fair play to him there, he knows a good coach.

Manc in London said:
The 49ers said:

I think that's a bit harsh on Mason, his passing can be a bit woeful at times but he puts in a lot of effort up and down the pitch and very good at pressing. The only thing that I'd like to see more of is his dribbling, in the youth team he'd take on players with ease, he was a lot better than Townsend for it but you don't really see it yet.

Bentaleb has shown some excellent stuff this season, for me he was MOTM twice against Chelsea and was brilliant against Arsenal, he's definitely bossed a few games. I think the games are begining to take their toll on some of the players. Bentaleb and Mason have been poor the past few games

For me the only ones without a brain in the team are the defenders. Vertonghen has a brain but he's still prone to an error. The amusing thing is Rose has been our best defender this season and he can't defend to save his life

Crouchinho said:
Manc in London said:
The 49ers said:

I think that's a bit harsh on Mason, his passing can be a bit woeful at times but he puts in a lot of effort up and down the pitch and very good at pressing. The only thing that I'd like to see more of is his dribbling, in the youth team he'd take on players with ease, he was a lot better than Townsend for it but you don't really see it yet.

Bentaleb has shown some excellent stuff this season, for me he was MOTM twice against Chelsea and was brilliant against Arsenal, he's definitely bossed a few games. I think the games are begining to take their toll on some of the players. Bentaleb and Mason have been poor the past few games

For me the only ones without a brain in the team are the defenders. Vertonghen has a brain but he's still prone to an error. The amusing thing is Rose has been our best defender this season and he can't defend to save his life

Maybe I was a tad harsh re Mason. I guess it served to make my point re your manager. However, I don't believe Mason would stand out in the Championship though. I do quite like Bentaleb but he lacks positional discipline and intelligence. Credit to the manager though for making the two greater than the sum of their parts.

As you know I am not a Vertonghen fan ;) Your comment re Rose was very funny.

Manc in London said:
Crouchinho said:
Manc in London said:

Maybe I was a tad harsh re Mason. I guess it served to make my point re your manager. However, I don't believe Mason would stand out in the Championship though. I do quite like Bentaleb but he lacks positional discipline and intelligence. Credit to the manager though for making the two greater than the sum of their parts.

As you know I am not a Vertonghen fan ;) Your comment re Rose was very funny.
I reckon Mason is going to grow into a decent crucial player. Like an English Flamini/Lucas Leiva.

The 49ers said:

Sherwood would claim credit for scouting Glenn Hoddle and inspiring the 1961 Double team if you gave him the opportunity. He learnt all he knows about self promotion from Harry Redknapp. He has done a good job of making the wider world think that he is responsible for the current success of Spurs' academy. Truth is, he was only involved with Spurs' younger players for three years - and even then, mostly only as an arranger of loans to other clubs.

If Pochettino is playing the young players this season, it is because he has decided that they are his best options - not because Sherwood gave a couple of them a chance at the end of last season.

I'd agree, though, that the jury is still out on whether Pochettino can do enough to make Spurs anything more than the nearly men they have been for most of the past ten years.

I never actually said he was a bad coach just so far nothing new has happened. Without a player on the form of his life they would be even worse off in an average season for Pool,Arsenal and Manure.

As far as taking credit for other people's work,I'm sure Pochettino got a chuckle out of Koeman when he claimed the saints success this season was all down to him.

Yet with players not much better or worse than his current team they have the best defence and are currently out performing spurs. Lloris is a better keeper than Forster yet only the bottom teams have conceded more than spurs.

I actually think Rose is ok whereas Walker thinks because he can run fast it'll get him out of every defensive screw up.

JimB said:
The 49ers said:

Sherwood would claim credit for scouting Glenn Hoddle and inspiring the 1961 Double team if you gave him the opportunity. He learnt all he knows about self promotion from Harry Redknapp. He has done a good job of making the wider world think that he is responsible for the current success of Spurs' academy. Truth is, he was only involved with Spurs' younger players for three years - and even then, mostly only as an arranger of loans to other clubs.

If Pochettino is playing the young players this season, it is because he has decided that they are his best options - not because Sherwood gave a couple of them a chance at the end of last season.

I'd agree, though, that the jury is still out on whether Pochettino can do enough to make Spurs anything more than the nearly men they have been for most of the past ten years.

The last ten years? Even 24 years ago with Gascoigne and Lineker they still couldn't mount a title challenge. They've not threatened the top of the league since the 70's.

citykev28 said:
JimB said:
The 49ers said:

The last ten years? Even 24 years ago with Gascoigne and Lineker they still couldn't mount a title challenge. They've not threatened the top of the league since the 70's.

You're trying to read too much into my post! I never said otherwise. I merely chose ten years as a round number and somewhat relevant period.

As it happens, I'd disagree with you about the 70's. Spurs never got close in that decade. A couple of time in the 80's, perhaps, before falling off the pace with a month or two to go. But they haven't truly been in contention at the very end of the season since the early / mid 60's.

<a class="postlink" href="http://haveyoueverseentottenhamwintheleague.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://haveyoueverseentottenhamwintheleague.com/</a>

The misery goes on and on and on.

As Pochettino reviews the current season and looks at "what's gone wrong" he can say that apart from Harry Kane , Hugo Lloris and Christian Eriksen, the rest of the squad has been a big letdown.

How many of the following ( not to mention the three above) will stay much longer at White Hart Lane.

Vlad Chiriches
Federico Fazio
Erik Lamela
Etienne Capoue
Paulinho
Roberto Soldado
Benjamin Stambouli
Ben Davies

An example of how to waste the €100m they received for Gareth Bale

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.