Spurs thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, Bill.

To say that Spurs reversing their decision to furlough staff proves beyond doubt that they were just being greedy seems like confirmation bias on your part, I'm afraid. Reversing the decision doesn't actually prove anything other than that the backlash had become even costlier than not furloughing staff. At the risk of repeating myself, despite Daniel Levy's reputation for being tight with player wages, he has a good reputation within the club for being a conscientious employer for the non playing staff. He didn't make the decision for shits and giggles.

Until the COVID19 crisis is safely behind us, it's far too early to say what any club should or shouldn't have done. But if the suspicion or expectation is that hard times are coming, you tighten your belt now, right? You don't wait until it's too late. What we do know is that, more than any other club (and by some margin), the cornerstone of Spurs' business plan is the use of its primary asset - the stadium. And since full and proper use of stadiums will be among the very last ways that life returns to normal, it means that Spurs will likely suffer the biggest financial hit of any club. All of which is exacerbated by the fact that, at a daunting £637m, they are carrying considerably more debt than any other club.

We don't know what financial pressures Spurs are under. We don't know to what extent their creditors are calling the shots. With respect to COVID19, we don't know what is going to happen tomorrow, let alone in a year or two year's time. And given that there is so much that we don't and cannot know, those who have been ceaselessly and self righteously churning out moral certainties should expect to be challenged. That's all I've been doing. I hate to have to repeat myself yet again but........it's not that I believe the critics to be categorically wrong; it's that I can't agree that they are categorically right.

Jim,

Spuds either needed the furlough assistance or they didn't .

Applying for it then changing their mind 'cos the shit hit the fan makes your club look small time money grabbers on a par with the Dippers..

Why reverse the decision if they are in such Dire Straights according to your analysis ?

Surely they'd take the money and live with the fallout if it's protecting jobs and keeping Spuds afloat..

Think about that for a minute..!

Is the furlough money going to make that much difference in the grand scheme of things or was it seen as an opportunity to grab some free money?

My heart bleeds for you regarding your club being the most heavily in debt due to your brand new. state of the art stadium which now needs paying for..

Taking a few million off the Government is nothing but a drop in the ocean in the grand scheme of things and like you say above, the damage to the Spuds brand this has caused far outweighs the couple of million or so your club would have claimed..

Initially a really poor commercial decision on your clubs part wouldn't you say Jim..?

Anyway Jim, my tea's nearly ready, steak, baked potato and salad which is a result as this morning I was told it was going to be frozen pizza..!

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this, what I would say to finish off though is, I wouldn't have felt comfortable if City had gone down the furlough route and I would have found it extremely difficult to put forward as good of a case as you have, defending my clubs decision..!

I hope I'm not taking too much of a pivot with this thread, but I have a few observations about how footie is treated by the meedja generally. Case in point: why do they always quote footie salaries as weekly, e.g. "XYZ player gets £200,000 per week". When did we ALL stop getting paid weekly....about 40 years ago, was it? Everything else is monthly: from council tax to your mobile phone bill. Why do they always equate footie salaries to a 'weekly wage'. Class snobbery, perhaps?

Also, why did they come (pretty exclusively and nastily) for footie players with their flaming torches and pitch forks? What other section of society did they point the finger at for 'not doing something'? Bankers, rock stars, city fat cats???? Nope. And in doing so, they devalued anything our game did as "you were shamed into doing this". Much as I despise the modern game (present Kompany excepted), I honestly believe the players and clubs would have done something of substance without being publicly 'shamed'.

I do find it illuminating that though fans might feel the game has moved a million miles from its working class origins, the legacy media still sees footie through a class prism.

Last edited:
I hope I'm not taking too much of a pivot with this thread, but I have a few observations about how footie is treated by the meedja generally. Case in point: why do they always quote footie salaries as weekly, e.g. "XYZ player gets £200,000 per week". When did we ALL stop getting paid weekly....about 40 years ago, was it? Everything else is monthly: from council tax to your mobile phone bill. Why do they always equate footie salaries to a 'weekly wage'. Class snobbery, perhaps?

Also, why did they come (pretty exclusively and nastily) for footie players with their flaming torches and pitch forks? What other section of society did they point the finger at for 'not doing something'? Bankers, rock stars, city fat cats???? Nope. And in doing so, they devalued anything our game did as "you were shamed into doing this". Much as I despise the modern game (present Kompany excepted), I honestly believe the players and clubs would have done something of substance without being publicly 'shamed'.

I do find it illuminating that though fans might feel the game has moved a million miles from its working class origins, the legacy media still sees footie through a class prism.
When I retired, the DWP asked me how often I preferred to be paid. I opted for monthly, as, like you say, that what I been used for most of my working career. The DWP acknowledged and confirmed this in writing, then started paying me weekly! For several weeks I tried to get this altered but gave up in the end.

I watched the highlights of their FA Cup defeat to Coventry the other night. The passing back to the keeper looked really odd, like watching an old film where everybody in the pub lights up cigarettes.

Weird.
I watched that as well and my heart was warmed as I was reminded about Spurs' shirt advertising shambles from that final too as I'd totally forgotten about that total cock up. Nice to see them get beaten by an own goal as well.

I watched that as well and my heart was warmed as I was reminded about Spurs' shirt advertising shambles from that final too as I'd totally forgotten about that total cock up. Nice to see them get beaten by an own goal as well.
Gary Mabbutt doing a Tommy Hutch!

Karma!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.