Spurs Vs City Post Match Thread

If ever we get a game where the officials give us as much help as Spurs got we'd score 10+ goals without breaking sweat!!

Not generally a conspiracy theorist, but the absolute scale of the error makes one wonder, doesn't it? And, when added to the US media calling De Bruyne "slightly offside" while showing the line across the field that he wasn't, I almost get the feeling that those first five wins and the pre-coronation of us as Champions in September required pundits to come out and start slaying us, and possibly officials to start leveling the playing field.

Nah.....right?

I watched it on NBCSN, and they actually drew their own line to show De Bruyne was offside, ignoring the actual pitch line showing he wasn't!!!

The other 2 decisions were just beyond belief as has been said many times here i'm sure. Both cases the liner was right on it, both miles off. It's a massive cock up, and you'd like to think he'll be given a nice run in the lower leagues for the next set of games..

There were many different reasons why we ended up getting spanked 4-1 by Spurs on Saturday:-

1 - Key players missing. If you take players as important as Hart, Kompany and Silva out of any side they'll miss them, plus Toure only lasted 55 minutes before injury meant he had to be replaced. Add to that player fatigue (Kolarov and Sagna have played every minute of every game so far, as their replacements Zabaleta and Clichy have been injured) and you've got a side not able to perform at their best.

2 - Rank bad play. There's no getting around it, many City players were just awful on Saturday. Mistakes by individuals, passing, shooting, tackling, all across the board it was well below the levels we should be expecting from a group of players as talented as ours.

3 - Officiating. We can blame injuries, we can berate the player performances, but there's one thing that's undeniable, the officials had a HUGE impact on Saturday's result. Yes, De Bruyne was marginally offside for City's goal, however we're talking an inch at most, and that's if the freeze frame moment shown on TV was actually the exact moment Toure's foot hit the ball to pass, if the freeze frame is a millisecond too late than De Bruyne is onside. Very, very close, and certainly a decision you wouldn't be lambasting the linesman for not getting right. However the equaliser for Spurs was simply unacceptable at any level, let alone the Premier League. It was so obviously offside, such a bad decision, and with no possible explanation as to why the linesman could have missed it, you'd be forgiven for thinking it was more than just bad judgement. It was such an obviously bad call you have to wonder about the intent of the linesman. Kane's goal too was offside, far more marginal than the Walker one for the equaliser, but equally, far more clearly offside than the De Bruyne one. Kane was stationary, the defence was stationary, and he was stood offside. Any linesman worth a damn should have seen it.

The blame for the result isn't accountable to just one factor, however there's no denying that, even with our injured players, and our poor display, we should have been 1-0 up at half time, which would have made a huge difference to how the second half was approached, and panned out. Spurs scored 4 times, but 2 of them should have been ruled out. You can only hope that these kinds of decisions do not continue to affect our results.

So you have total trust in pelegrini? Are not worried by our current form? Think otemendi was a must signing? You think the injuries we get is normal? If so you must be watching a different team to me?

Yes
I'm not
Yes he was
Not normal at all
Not sure

Do you believe we will win the league, based on what YOU've seen so far?

One final point for me on this game is a statistic referred to on football365, since New Year's day we have taken 2 points from losing positions in 9 games. Hull in February was the last time we got a point from a losing position. That is a shocking indictment of the mental strength of this City team.

Unless we start showing a bit more backbone and resilience we're in danger of becoming the new Arsenal, brilliant on the good days but when we're up against it lack the stomach for the fight.

We've lost to the team in 3rd and the team in 5th. Everyone is injured. Spurs really aren't shit especially the front 4. Even West Ham had one of the best creative midfielders in Europe.

If we lose to Newcastle at home then it might be worth worrying.

One final point for me on this game is a statistic referred to on football365, since New Year's day we have taken 2 points from losing positions in 9 games. Hull in February was the last time we got a point from a losing position. That is a shocking indictment of the mental strength of this City team.

Unless we start showing a bit more backbone and resilience we're in danger of becoming the new Arsenal, brilliant on the good days but when we're up against it lack the stomach for the fight.
So when we fail to score (as is the case in most of our few defeats) despite continually creating chances, you sit the guys down and discuss their mental strength?

Good luck with that, I'd be far more inclined to get them out on the training pitch to concentrate on shooting and creating space for goal scoring opportunities. Suggesting that the players are mentally weak, after only recently setting an all-time club record of most wins in a row, is stuff of nonsense.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.