Squad Strengthening In Not So Distant Future

Over the next couple of years we have some ageing players that have been crucial for us whose contracts are up.

Contracts that end soon:
Kompany - 2019 (may retire and moved into a financial role)
Agüero - 2020 (back home to Independiente)
Merlin - 2020 (back home to Spain to spend some much deserved family time)
Sterling - 2020 (may be sold before hand unless a new deal is signed)
Fernandinho - 2020 (may retire)
Gundogan - 2020 (wants to sign new deal apparently)
Delph - 2020 (not a clue)
Bravo - 2020 (not a clue)

We’re possibly looking at another rebuilding job if they all leave and we wouldn’t want to do that in one window I’d imagine with Brexit making foreign signings more difficult and FFP making a resurgence.

Replacements for Agüero and Silva being the most difficult IMO.

Thoughts? Who’d be your replacements?
Kompany - Tosin
Agüero - Nmecha
Merlin - Foden
Sterling - new deal
Fernandinho - Matt Smith
Gundogan - new deal
Delph - if he's happy being a squad member, new deal
Bravo - Muric

God it's easy this malarkey and I've saved a fortune.

Over the next couple of years we have some ageing players that have been crucial for us whose contracts are up.

Contracts that end soon:
Kompany - 2019 (may retire and moved into a financial role)
Agüero - 2020 (back home to Independiente)
Merlin - 2020 (back home to Spain to spend some much deserved family time)
Sterling - 2020 (may be sold before hand unless a new deal is signed)
Fernandinho - 2020 (may retire)
Gundogan - 2020 (wants to sign new deal apparently)
Delph - 2020 (not a clue)
Bravo - 2020 (not a clue)

We’re possibly looking at another rebuilding job if they all leave and we wouldn’t want to do that in one window I’d imagine with Brexit making foreign signings more difficult and FFP making a resurgence.

Replacements for Agüero and Silva being the most difficult IMO.

Thoughts? Who’d be your replacements?

Kompany-2019-said he wants to continue to play for another few years. When Pep was asked about his contract he deflected the question. I think the club want to see how his fitness is and probably offer him a one year extension. I don’t think well buy anyone. Eric Garcia might make the step up he looks a talent.

Aguero - 2020 - seems set on leaving but I’m on 50/50 on thinking he might stay an additional year to break PL records. Would be a shame to leave if he is still performing at such a high level. Mbappe is the obvious choice to replace him. Pay whatever it takes. I think he will move in the next few years, probably to Real but I’m sure us and Barca will also be trying to sign him. Has the potential to be the best ever imo.

Merlin- 2020 -Bernardo to replace him, better dribbler and better at shooting, worse at passing and controlling game but he can improve a lot, there will never be another Merlin but Bernardo will be world class.

Sterling- 2020- think he will sign a new deal based on latest developments.

Fernandinho - 2020 - this is a big one, we should already bring in his successor in January or next summer the latest. Hopefully Neves or De jong.

Gundogan- 2020 - think he’ll sign a new deal, would rather see him sold and someone like Rabiot brought in but I think it’s unlikely as Gundogan loves it here and Pep loves him, we can only continue to hope he rediscovers his Dortmund form.

Delph- 2020 - Lucas Hernandez would be great, World Cup winning LB that is probably as good at CB, only 22 yo.

Bravo -2020 - Muric if he performs this season and I think he’ll get his chance. Otherwise I could see us bringing in an experienced keeper for example that would be happy with the back up role.

I see Vinny signing a 1 or 2 year extension and then retiring after that. Merlin will likely go back to Spain in 2020, same with Aguero to Argentina. Fernandinho will likely either retire or play in Brazil. Bravo will likely either retire or go back to Spain.

Hopefully Sterling and Gundogan sign new deals, and if not we sell them this summer and bring in their replacements. Delph would be a useful homegrown squad player to keep around but if he wishes to leave for more playing time then no problem giving him what he wants.

Muric for Bravo
Humphrey for Kompany
Chilwell for Delph
Ndombele for Fernandinho
Foden and Paqueta for Gundogan
Bernardo and Diaz for Silva
Sterling not leaving
MBappe for Aguero though i think it might be Werner, pace and work rate ?

Kompany - 2019 (may retire and moved into a financial role) we have spent over 100mil on Stones and Laporte. They are the replacement. Otamendi to rotate unless he wants to go and in which case another CB comes in.

Agüero - 2020 (back home to Independiente)- Agree. I don't see us going for another "out and out" striker like him again. Pep likes a very fluid front line so someone who can play across the front.

Merlin - 2020 (back home to Spain to spend some much deserved family time)- Agree.

Sterling - 2020 (may be sold before hand unless a new deal is signed) Will sign a new deal.

Fernandinho - 2020 (may retire) Will stick around, if Gomes has had a stratospheric rise or Douglas Luiz has finally broken through at Girona then that problem is solved. Someone like Ndombele will no doubt be looked at.

Gundogan - 2020 (wants to sign new deal apparently), will sign a new deal unless we get a big offer.

Delph - 2020 (not a clue) depending on injuries he will probably stick around. Good 'soldier' for Pep to have in the squad.

Bravo - 2020 (not a clue) depends if after this injury he wants to stick around. Could just go back to South America and play out the rest of his career. Will be replaced by another experienced keeper, not Muric.

Kompany 2019 - Would expect him to either retire or go to a lesser division so he can enjoy his last couple of years, perhaps a return to Anderlecht or new adventure at NYCFC. Stones and Laporte are his replacements, Otamendi just signed a new deal so he will take the elder statesman role and then would expect us to try and move in Tosin or, more likely imo, Eric Garcia. Outside chance of a huge move for De Ligt but I think we're okay as much as I like him.

Aguero 2020 - Will be surprised if he does go back to Argentina immediately, think there's an MLS adventure on the horizon at least. Who we go for will depend on the Pep situation, no point buying a fluid striker when we already have Jesus and at that point Pep would only have 12 months left. Either Jesus will be filling his boots by then or we'll go big on Dybala/Mbappe type.

David Silva 2020 - Deserves to go back to Las Palmas. Already bought his replacement in Bernardo and the backup left footer role will surely be filled by Foden.

Sterling 2020 - I desperately hope he signs a new deal, love him to bits, but if he doesn't and gets a move to Spain I would understand. Maybe Sessegnon or someone to replace him. Tough to find a winger good enough whilst also filling the homegrown slot, though probably easier to fill it elsewhere ie: E Garcia/Foden.

Fernandinho 2020 - Still desperately need to fill the Toure slot at CDM as well. Ideal combination for me would be Ndombele and Frenkie De Jong but I think that is extremely ambitious. Or we could bring Kante home.

Gundogan 2020 - Just not doing it for me, had a good season but we're really missing KDB and so I wouldn't be surprised if we don't renew him. Could see us looking at Bentancur, Pellegrini etc to replace him. Maybe Lucas Paqueta if his poor start to the season is temporary.

Bravo 2020 - Don't think he's got that long to be honest, especially with such a bad injury. I'd fuck him off ASAP and give the slot to Muric with the 3rd choice slot being occupied by that Irish lad with the incredible name.

Delph 2020 - Tough to say really. I thought we'd try and get another out-and-out left back in the summer despite his amazing season but he's just too useful. Even with a blistering start by Mendy I have been wishing for Delph pretty frequently this season whenever we are defending. Would expect a small extension as a big one at his age might be a touch risky for our board.

Kompany 2019 - Eric Garcia
Aguero 2020 - idk
Merlin 2020 - Bernardo or Foden
Sterling - new contract
Fernandinho 2020 - Ndombele/De Jong/Neves
Gundogan - new contract
Bravo 2020- Muric
Delph - lifetime contract

Aguero is the hardest one IMO. Jesus is only 21 and a big talent, but I`m still not entirely convinced by him. I think Touaizi is an amazing talent, and he could be an alternative in a couple years. Don`t think there are many good young strikers we could potentially sign either. Werner is probably the best young striker (apart from Mbappe) but he's more of a Vardy type, and I don't think he would fit here

Aguero & Dinho are the only concerns imo

Kompanys best days are behind him, and may actually be 4th choice right now let alone in another year. Will probs get an extra year as I doubt that Garcia will be trusted at 18 even as 4th choice

It will be a sad day when David leaves....but Bernardo really does look like he can fill that role and Foden will surely be eyeing that spot

Dinho needs replacing but the club already know that, don't know who could come in as hes such an unbelievable player who does such a great job for this team

Gundo will resign and if he doesn't hes not indispensable

Sterling will also resign...he wont get it as good as he has it here

I hope Kompany gets a role at the club, he’s the most likeable city player of all time!

Aguero & Dinho are the only concerns imo

Kompanys best days are behind him, and may actually be 4th choice right now let alone in another year. Will probs get an extra year as I doubt that Garcia will be trusted at 18 even as 4th choice

It will be a sad day when David leaves....but Bernardo really does look like he can fill that role and Foden will surely be eyeing that spot

Dinho needs replacing but the club already know that, don't know who could come in as hes such an unbelievable player who does such a great job for this team

Gundo will resign and if he doesn't hes not indispensable

Sterling will also resign...he wont get it as good as he has it here
If Bernardo fulfills his potential he’ll become even better than David, which is brilliant but sad at the same time!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.