Squad Strengthening In Not So Distant Future

Over the next couple of years we have some ageing players that have been crucial for us whose contracts are up.

Contracts that end soon:
Kompany - 2019 (may retire and moved into a financial role)
Agüero - 2020 (back home to Independiente)
Merlin - 2020 (back home to Spain to spend some much deserved family time)
Sterling - 2020 (may be sold before hand unless a new deal is signed)
Fernandinho - 2020 (may retire)
Gundogan - 2020 (wants to sign new deal apparently)
Delph - 2020 (not a clue)
Bravo - 2020 (not a clue)

We’re possibly looking at another rebuilding job if they all leave and we wouldn’t want to do that in one window I’d imagine with Brexit making foreign signings more difficult and FFP making a resurgence.

Replacements for Agüero and Silva being the most difficult IMO.

Thoughts? Who’d be your replacements?
Kompany - eric Garcia
Aguero - needs a purchase
Merlin - foden and bernabè
Sterling - will sign new contract
Ferna - never or de jong
Gundogan - will sign new contract but Diaz could step up by then
Delph - only rotation option Tom deli Bashir
Bravo - muric

So in reality we have the players in place already. 2/3 major signing between now and 2021 shows how good our recruitment has been. Pep and txiki have done a great job in 2 years.

I honestly wouldn't know who to buy for the CDM position.
My two dream signings that would complete City for 7-8 years would be Matthijs De Ligt (to pair with Laporte) and Kylian Mbappe (to play with Jesus as left winger and Sané as a right winger, both cutting inside).

Matthijs De Ligt would be my number one choice for replacing Kompany. And I would snatch him in a heartbeat if he signals he wants to leave Ajax, and let Kompany go. You cannot find a better and more promising centre back in the world. No discussion.

I've said it before but I just can't see de Ligt coming here. Rate him highly, but he's looking at two 24 year old CBs in Stones and Laporte. I know we'll carry four CBs at all times but if he has the chance to be first choice elsewhere I don't see him coming here. And the only way Mbappe would come here is by his own choice. Personally think he'll stay in Paris until he's 22/23 and then off to Spain.

Bravo = Muric this season may well prove it
Kompany = Sanchez if Humphrey`s does not step up
Delph = Chilwell injuries may force our hand
Fernandinho = Ndombele asap
Gundogan = Diaz
Sterling = new contract or Bailey
Silva = Silva
Aguero = I do not believe Pep will go for a striker he went for sanchez, so i think he will go for a goal scoring midfielder with good mobility Fekir could be the one?

Lots of people thinking most of these players will be replaced in house.

Foden, Diaz and possibly Eric Garcia are the only ones who will be trusted IMO. Even then we’ll still need to sign players for depth.

new back up keeper
new Fernandinio
new gundgogan
upgrade on jesus

That's all we need - amazing squad then - not that we don't have now

Lots of people thinking most of these players will be replaced in house.

Foden, Diaz and possibly Eric Garcia are the only ones who will be trusted IMO. Even then we’ll still need to sign players for depth.
I think you might be missing the obvious one Muric, as i have said this season will tell. And by the time Walker has had his day Bolton may well be ready to take up the reins
All in all our youth team should be looking at our b team and saying ` I am having his spot` and our b team should be looking at our first team and saying ` I am having his spot` and when Pep does not believe they can we should buy, over the next 2 years 5 now 4 first team players and 3 b team players contracts are up, for me LB CDM and ST are the positions we do not have anyone ready to step up and so should buy, apart from that anything that improves our first team we should buy
WHOOPS did i say 1 CDM i meant 2 as when our present CDM packs up who is his back up?

Last edited:
I think we're being harsh on Jesus (myself included) considering his age. Striker, DM and back-up keeper all priorities though. We've seen how Fernandinho's form has affected our midfield, Jesus goes through some pretty bad droughts and Aguero will always have injury doubts.

I think you might be missing the obvious one Muric, as i have said this season will tell. And by the time Walker has had his day Bolton may well be ready to take up the reins
All in all our youth team should be looking at our b team and saying ` I am having his spot` and our b team should be looking at our first team and saying ` I am having his spot` and when Pep does not believe they can we should buy, over the next 2 years 5 now 4 first team players and 3 b team players contracts are up, for me LB CDM and ST are the positions we do not have anyone ready to step up and so should buy, apart from that anything that improves our first team we should buy
WHOOPS did i say 1 CDM i meant 2 as when our present CDM packs up who is his back up?

In an ideal world it’d be exactly what we want, a clear path to the first team, and it may come in time.

Muric is a tricky one. On paper it’d be a perfect fit but young keepers need game time. The main issue is if he’s willing to play back up to Ederson and settle for the league cup games, he’d clearly be number two with the tiniest fraction of usurping Ed. The same can basically be said for any of our youth products and I wouldn’t grudge them leaving for first team football if they weren’t happy with their minutes.

Time will tell I guess.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.