Squeeze

They've been touring the States (with Boy George) just prior to the UK tour so been a busy time.

I first saw them on their farewell tour around 1982 at Birmingham Odeon and after that it was Glen solo a few times. Then I saw them at Radio City, New York in 2008 (with James as support) and last year at a festival in LA - only Chris Difford wasn't present.

Difford & Tilbrook are my 2nd fave songwriters after M&M. No one else comes near, including the Scouse chancers Lemon and Muckartney.
The best supporting act we have seen with Squeeze is definitely Nick Heyward. He went through all his own solo songs and also the Haircut 100 hits as well, so we knew nearly all the music he played.
And some wag in front of us shouted out to him - "where's your jumper Nick" ?, which brought a wry smile to his face and had everyone else in fits of laughter.
We also saw Gary Clarke one year ( Danny Wilson) , but apart from Mary's Prayer we didn't know any of his songs, so I didn't particularly enjoy his act.
And I just couldn't enjoy Badly Drawn Boy last night, he put the effort in,but he just didn't do anything for either of us.

The best supporting act we have seen with Squeeze is definitely Nick Heyward. He went through all his own solo songs and also the Haircut 100 hits as well, so we knew nearly all the music he played.
And some wag in front of us shouted out to him - "where's your jumper Nick" ?, which brought a wry smile to his face and had everyone else in fits of laughter.
We also saw Gary Clarke one year ( Danny Wilson) , but apart from Mary's Prayer we didn't know any of his songs, so I didn't particularly enjoy his act.
And I just couldn't enjoy Badly Drawn Boy last night, he put the effort in,but he just didn't do anything for either of us.
I like Nick Heyward and bought his North By North West album.
And apart from Mary's Prayer does anyone know any other song by Danny Wilson? I bet even Danny Wilson doesn't know any other song.

Back to Squeeze - my all time fave is Up The Junction. A brilliant piece of kitchen sink drama I owned on a 7 inch piece of purple vinyl.
Followed by Is That Love? and Annie Get Your Gun

I like Nick Heyward and bought his North By North West album.
And apart from Mary's Prayer does anyone know any other song by Danny Wilson? I bet even Danny Wilson doesn't know any other song.

Back to Squeeze - my all time fave is Up The Junction. A brilliant piece of kitchen sink drama I owned on a 7 inch piece of purple vinyl.
Followed by Is That Love? and Annie Get Your Gun
Tempted for me.
Saw Gary Clarke support Deacon Blue many years ago. Knew 2 songs Marys Prayer and Second Summer of Love.

Very underrated band. Had some fantastic songs over the years. I liken them to The Kinks and The Smiths(amongst others) in the sense that they paint a picture in your mind through their lyrics,which I love.
I’d put Pulp in there as well. As a kid, I used to love listening to songs that painted a picture in your head (still do) and imagine my own music videos for those songs based on the lyrics.

I’d put Pulp in there as well. As a kid, I used to love listening to songs that painted a picture in your head (still do) and imagine my own music videos for those songs based on the lyrics.
Yes, very much so. Beatles, The Jam and a few others very good at that.

The Beatles?
They wrote shite, meaningless 3 minute pop love songs and then relied on being shit faced to write the 2nd half of their career albums.
Penny Lane and Eleanor Rigby are very powerful songs in that respect. I'm not the biggest Beatles fan in the world, far from it, but they do have quite a few thought provoking songs. Not in the Smiths league obs ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.