Squeeze

I have seen Squeeze, Glen, Glen & Chris, John Bentley, Paul Carrack and Jools many times since I first heard Bang Bang off the first, imaginatively, titled album Squeeze many years ago.

Safe to say that they’re pretty much the soundtrack to my life.
I have seen some great gigs and some not so ( Glen at Bury Met a few years back was awful) last night was without doubt the finest I have seen.
The only song they didn’t do was This Summer. A bit of a disappointment as it was our first dance at our wedding reception. Slight gripe I would have preferred Vicky Verky off Argybargy rather than If I Didn’t Love You - but what do I know!

The audience last night was really engaged from start to finish and we came away on a high - quality entertainment from a very talented group of brilliant musicians.

Goodbye Girl is still one of them songs that punches me in the face every time!

Glad you had a top night @manclad watching Sqeeze.

Their songs still sound as good as they did over 40 years ago, my kids love Up The Junction and Another Nail In My Heart, there's another generation that Squeeze have tuned into.

Did they play This Summer? Love that one.
I can't remember what order the songs were played in,all I can remember is that they opened with " Black Coffee In Bed" and then just carried on rolling out hit after hit.
And Chris got everyone singing along with "Cool For Cats", and towards the end (after about 10 pm) they introduced each member of the band to the audience.
Interesting to note that your kids like Squeeze songs, I expected everyone attending last night to be in their 60s/70s, but there were also a lot of younger people in the audience (30s and 40s) ,so it appears that the appeal of Squeeze has filtered down to the next generation.

I can't remember what order the songs were played in,all I can remember is that they opened with " Black Coffee In Bed" and then just carried on rolling out hit after hit.
And Chris got everyone singing along with "Cool For Cats", and towards the end (after about 10 pm) they introduced each member of the band to the audience.
Interesting to note that your kids like Squeeze songs, I expected everyone attending last night to be in their 60s/70s, but there were also a lot of younger people in the audience (30s and 40s) ,so it appears that the appeal of Squeeze has filtered down to the next generation.
My kids are 12 and 16, even the eldest at 22 likes the odd song, can see them singing along word for word with their favourites.
Was it packed out?

Yes even us FOC enjoy a good squeeze now and again.

I too went last night, agreed they were brilliant, having liked them since they first broke I realised last night that I'd never actually considered just how accomplished they are as musicians, it's always been about the lyrics for me but my eyes/ears were opened last night, they are a really tight band.

Thankfully I swerved Badly Drawn Boy, really strange choice of support imo, I'm sure he has his own followers but I doubt there'll be many fans of Squeeze amongst them.
Hard to choose a favourite song from the night, they just rolled them out one after the other, as you say Chris encouraged everyone to get on their feet and it ramped up to a brilliant finish.

My last gig at the Apollo was Rod Stewart on his 1981 Foolish Behaviour tour, the place is still a great venue I reckon, a mention for the staff I interacted with as well, proper nice people, even the security guy outside wishing people a safe trip home.
Great post pal, considering Glenn and Chris are pensioners,they put a lot of effort into their songs, they have another 2/3 weeks touring through October and well into November so they must find it tiring at their age.
I was impressed with the energy and enthusiasm that the younger members of the band had during the gig, and I particularly liked the young lady singer who Glenn introduced near the end, I couldn't quite catch her name above the noise of the audience,but she was really good.

My kids are 12 and 16, even the eldest at 22 likes the odd song, can see them singing along word for word with their favourites.
Was it packed out?
It was advertised as sold out, but funnily enough the 2 seats directly in front of us were unoccupied,so it gave us a much better view of the stage than I expected.

I have seen Squeeze, Glen, Glen & Chris, John Bentley, Paul Carrack and Jools many times since I first heard Bang Bang off the first, imaginatively, titled album Squeeze many years ago.

Safe to say that they’re pretty much the soundtrack to my life.
I have seen some great gigs and some not so ( Glen at Bury Met a few years back was awful) last night was without doubt the finest I have seen.
The only song they didn’t do was This Summer. A bit of a disappointment as it was our first dance at our wedding reception. Slight gripe I would have preferred Vicky Verky off Argybargy rather than If I Didn’t Love You - but what do I know!

The audience last night was really engaged from start to finish and we came away on a high - quality entertainment from a very talented group of brilliant musicians.

Goodbye Girl is still one of them songs that punches me in the face every time!
We have also been to see Squeeze at The Apollo a number of times now, something like 1991,1993 ,1995 and possibly 1998 ( but not sure on the last date tbh). Obviously Gilson Lavis on drums each time and I think Chris Holland (Jools younger brother) on keyboards.
I bought " 45s and under " as one of my first CD compilation albums around 1990, and followed it up with
" A Round And A Bout " a few years later.
I love" Goodbye Girl" and also " Take Me I'm Yours" - great lyrics and rhythm on both songs.
I also love " Slap And Tickle" and it gave me the excuse to give the wife a little pat on her bum to remind her of our slap and tickle days. She was dancing and bopping about so was in a very good mood,and I got a little cheeky smile from her !!

It was advertised as sold out, but funnily enough the 2 seats directly in front of us were unoccupied,so it gave us a much better view of the stage than I expected.
So you weren't lumbered with 'Mr I'll stand up from the first song and fuck everyone else behind me' being in your line of vision? The only one in the whole of the stalls who was on his feet near enough the whole gig. Fair enough I know people like a bop but there's reading the room and there's being a prick, tbf he was scouse. Didn't bother me personally but the little bloke in front of me was well pissed off.

Great post pal, considering Glenn and Chris are pensioners,they put a lot of effort into their songs, they have another 2/3 weeks touring through October and well into November so they must find it tiring at their age.
I was impressed with the energy and enthusiasm that the younger members of the band had during the gig, and I particularly liked the young lady singer who Glenn introduced near the end, I couldn't quite catch her name above the noise of the audience,but she was really good.
They've been touring the States (with Boy George) just prior to the UK tour so been a busy time.

I first saw them on their farewell tour around 1982 at Birmingham Odeon and after that it was Glen solo a few times. Then I saw them at Radio City, New York in 2008 (with James as support) and last year at a festival in LA - only Chris Difford wasn't present.

Difford & Tilbrook are my 2nd fave songwriters after M&M. No one else comes near, including the Scouse chancers Lemon and Muckartney.

Thankfully I swerved Badly Drawn Boy, really strange choice of support imo, I'm sure he has his own followers but I doubt there'll be many fans of Squeeze amongst them.
Was he on his own or with a band?
I really like BDB on his recordings. Live he is very...... let's say he can be challenging. Likes to waffle a lot and piss the audience off by simply not shutting the fuck up and playing the big songs..... he doesn't play the game as the audience would like him to do.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.