Stalybridge

I grew up in stalybridge and did my training as an engineer in the middle of the town for 5 years.
I remember in the late 60s and early 70s it was a bustling little town with lots of shoppers and although you wouldn't go to stalybridge to buy clothes or shoes for example (you would go to Ashton or Manchester for things like that) it was quite lively then.
I seem to remember when the council started charging people to park their cars was the beginning of the death of Stalybridge.
This was in the 70s and the shopkeepers rallied against it as people would not pay to Park but preferably go to Ashton.
The council wouldn't back down though.
Then eventually in the 80s I think it was Tesco arrived and that was that for many small traders.
The last time I went probably about 6 years ago, half the shops on Melbourne Street, the main shopping street, were boarded up, it was pissing down, nobody about and felt very depressing.
When I was a school kid they spent a fortune putting the canal through a dirty great pipe in the centre of town... then 20 years later they spent another fortune re-establishing the canal as a feature of the town.
I will never forgive them though demolishing Stalybridge Town Hall.
When the old Stalybridge council became enveloped into Tameside council that was the end, so as to speak, for Stalybridge.

Last edited:
Seriously fellas/lasses, La Lupa opposite the “Cowd Feet Club” is an excellent restaurant, rustic Italian and the owner Renato has a photo of him and Bobby Manc on the wall, the food is great, reasonably priced pasta (about a cock and hen) to superb steaks and Fish dishes, (Halibut my fav), latter about par for good restaurants, around £80 for two, starters, mains, 2 to three drinks, quality.
I know Stalybridge is a bit behind the times but I didn't realise they still used bartering for payment :-) a big chicken for a plate of pasta seems a bit expensive. What can you get for a small ferret?

Fond(ling) memories of regoing to the cinema in the late 80s as a teenager with my first girlfriend (from the nice bit of Carrbrook).

I know Stalybridge is a bit behind the times but I didn't realise they still used bartering for payment :-) a big chicken for a plate of pasta seems a bit expensive. What can you get for a small ferret?
Fuckin' Radcliffe? : /

Last time i went there i saw guys walking around with woolly mammoth fur around there bollocks trying to club their woman with a wooden stick, pal; )

Fuckin' Radcliffe? : /

Last time i went there i saw guys walking around with woolly mammoth fur around there bollocks trying to club their woman with a wooden stick, pal; )
That's the posh part, full of stock up snobs who can afford mammoth fur!!

That's the posh part, full of stock up snobs who can afford mammoth fur!!

Genuine question and not to take the piss as when I ask I never get a proper answer but I have a couple of mates from bury, prestwich amd whitefield area and they refer to radcliffe as dog shit valley or DSV, is that just a local Bury jokey/insult thing between the buroughs of the area?

And why?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.