Sterling racially abused by Chelsea fan?

SANE: It is sad this happens still. We are on @sterling7's side. He’s a strong guy, a good guy, he knows how to handle it. He is still focused, wants to play good football and he is focused on the game tomorrow. That’s the most important thing.

PEP: I saw @sterling7 the day before and he made a statement on Instagram - it was quite clear his stance.

PEP: Racism is everywhere. Today with immigrants, refugees, how we treat them… even though our grandfathers were refugees... it’s everywhere. We have to fight every day. I appreciate what Chelsea did and it it happened in my club we would do the same.

The details of this depressing event are detracting from the bigger picture. Sadly, we now live in a culture of hate, born from a previous culture of fear and blame. Identify what makes you unhappy, select a clear and obvious (and usually easy) target, aim your blame, and fire with with extreme prejudice. Everybody is culpable in this. Whether it is the tabloid-buying, web bait-clicking general public subscribing to the lazy narratives that the media project or the extremist political campaigns that result in a dishonest sociopath occupying the White House, there is culpability all around.

Sterling appears to embody two identities for the dissenters:

1. A young, talented, and ambitious player that disrespectfully left the hallowed turf of Anfield to join a 'new-money' club like City
2. A young, precocious, arrogant black man whose only objective is to bank as much money as humanly possible

The two identities are interchangeable. They serve the purpose of the dissenters according to what their agenda is for that day. Ask yourself this: beyond a tribalism that compels football 'fans' to verbal challenge opposition players, what exactly possessed that individual at Stamford Bridge to abuse Sterling with such eye-bulging vehemence? Because he is a City player? Because he had just tussled with Luiz (who appeared to come off worse from the clash)? Because he is a threat to a positive result for the home side?

Or is it because that individual has absorbed the lazy, malicious media narratives about Sterling. Whichever narrative he subscribed to, the Chelsea supporter used it to fuel his hate and justify his violent verbal abuse towards Sterling. I have no idea if this man is even racist. This isn't relevant. I do know that his emotional intelligence is such that he needs only the briefest of prompts from a tabloid headline to serve his agenda.

The media has a huge responsibility to assume here. Former players have a huge responsibility too. Ex-Liverpool players expressing their disappointment at Sterling leaving Anfield need to consider how they are contributing to the agenda (consciously or not). When the tabloids publish a headline that highlights Sterling's visit to a Greggs or buying his mother an affluent home, they must take responsibility for the social, racial, and prejudicial stereotypes that they are subliminally poking.

We all get emotional at the game. We all probably shout too loudly or swear too much or question the professional referee's competence with an over-zealous enthusiasm.

However, if I shout racist abuse towards a player in the heat of the game, my emotion does not excuse my behaviour. Nor does it disguise my prejudice (surface or deeper rooted).

Sterling's situation is a worrying indictment of the society that we currently live in. Racism exists. As long as people need a target to blame, it always will. Sadly, the discourse of hate has now become acceptable in the face of a rising extremism.

All we can do is challenge it. Whether at home, at work, at play, at the match... wherever and whenever.

Yes, but with an article immediately after what has happened it's not a good idea to do the same thing concerning highlighting the money angle. It wasn't necessary information and not a clever thing to write, especially considering the circumstances.
Over sensitive.
For some reason I remember an interview with Chris Evans in his hey day on channel 4. It was with NME it some trendy shite mag from the 90’s. It said something like ‘Chris stands here, 6 foot in his timberland boots’.

They didn’t need to say what boots he could afford. It just fills more lines of the article though. Same with this with the car. Lewis was right, we can’t start being offended by everything and linking it to racism. Snowflake society at its finest.

To be fair, his statement does show both remorse and regret...
Rubbish,and no,lets not be fair to the cvnt as he doesn't deserve it.

Committing the act in the first place is bad enough but then to lie about what you really said proves he regrets fuck all and that he's an even bigger shit house coward than originally thought.

It’s up to us to deal with abusive fans who cross the line.

At anfield in the CL last season this drunken oldish Irish blue in front of me in the queue racially abused a black steward. Poor kid didn’t know what to do and just moved on. I said to this blue “there’s no need for that”. He turned round and got a bit aggressive but I let it lie as I wanted to make sure I got in. Inside I followed him and as he was too old to hit I bitchslapped him. His mate didn’t fancy it and led him away giving it the big one and they weren’t one bit remorseful but at least they knew they’d suffered consequences for what they’d done and as decent people that’s the least we can do. Call em out, hit em, humiliate them, tell a steward, just do what you can but don’t let it pass

What a fucking prick,not an ounce of remorse or regret.He's only served to reinforce to the world the fact he's a liar,a bigot and a racist cvnt.
Ok, not to beba dick here but if he did say "Manc' as opposd to 'Black' then I'm sorry, but I'll have to disagree. And say that the labeling of this man as a racist is unjustied.

Hurling abuse at players is wrong. But labeling a guy a racist for abusing an opponent's superstar, will frankly make 60% of fans racist. As cursing at opposing Superstars (terrible as it might be) is common practice.

Last edited:
Mr C Wing to C-Wing at this rate.

Imagine if a captain of Chelsea had ever done similar...
tenor.gif

What he doesn't seem to understand is whether he called him a black c**t or manc c**t it is still racism.
No! It's not. Calling him a 'black' will be. Calling him a 'Manc' wouldn't.

I'm sorry, those who can't see this are a part of a bigger problem.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.