Sterling - The Sun

For all those using skin colour for a reason don't worry it will be soon time for the usual jack Wiltshire stories ,and where do the kyle walker stories fit in this week ?

I think race is definitely a determining factor as to how they present their stories.

"This is an awkward subject to write about, but the language deserves to be called out. Lavish … flash … blinged-up … bragging … crystal-encrusted … brother … baby … the lights and shit … the big daddy Rangey … send him home … rename the national team. You could jump to some conclusions here couldn’t you? I’ve no doubt this isn’t intended as “racist”. It isn’t that extreme. But if I feel a little creeped out by its tone and texture there’s no doubt others must, too."

That's a quote I posted from the Guardian yesterday. The point is, I don't think you could accuse the Sun of racism for their careful choice of language. However, given the fact that a lot of the specific accusations they aim at Sterling are unfounded, I do believe that they are not only referencing stereotypes to add weight to a smear campaign lacking in facts but they are also perpetuating those views in doing so.

It shouldn't come as a surprise; it's hardly a forward thinking publication. Rather than committing to explicit racial slurs (which would be suicide given the inevitable public backlash as well as that of Sterling and his legal team), they're relying on their certain readership to fill in the blanks. As a publication, they are reflective of their audience and their audience is clearly more than happy to continue lapping this shit up.

Let's check the evidence, in the 12 months that Sterling has been at City has he ever done anything for us to question his attitude.

As far as I can remember he's played well in patches but missed a few sitters & which player hasn't. Apart from this made up story & absolute hatchet jobs on his performances what has he done wrong.

It's been that full on, that it got to him, the sections of his own supporters & every fan. He's 21 successful & the only issue is he's missed a few chances & the house he bought his mum has an unusual sink.

Wtf?

I think race is definitely a determining factor as to how they present their stories.

That's a quote I posted from the Guardian yesterday. The point is, I don't think you could accuse the Sun of racism for their careful choice of language. However, given the fact that a lot of the specific accusations they aim at Sterling are unfounded, I do believe that they are not only referencing stereotypes to add weight to a smear campaign lacking in facts but they are also perpetuating those views in doing so.

It shouldn't come as a surprise; it's hardly a forward thinking publication. Rather than committing to explicit racial slurs (which would be suicide given the inevitable public backlash as well as that of Sterling and his legal team), they're relying on their certain readership to fill in the blanks. As a publication, they are reflective of their audience and their audience is clearly more than happy to continue lapping this shit up.
Sorry don't agree at all grealish Wiltshire etc just think its more about young lads with far too much money than brain cells.
Instead of racism think more jealousy

Sorry don't agree at all grealish Wiltshire etc just think its more about young lads with far too much money than brain cells.
Instead of racism think more jealousy

I agree that's also a huge factor but I'd also say that one doesn't rule out the other.

Racism isn't something that just gets turned on and off when certain terms are used and I don't believe the pictures that their words paint of Raheem are in any way coincidental.

I can see your point of view and agree with the vast majority of it. Murdoch's empire is the leading purveyor of implied racist language and content across the globe; for example Fox News' agenda against Obama in USA. Where I would beg to disagree is that Murdoch follows an active agenda of influencing his audience to various right-wing thinking (is right-wing thinking an oxymoron?). Yes, they do reflect their audience, but they know that audience is malleable to their sloganeering. Shout a lie loud enough and often enough and people start to believe it.

I fucking hate Murdoch, I really do.

I can see your point of view and agree with the vast majority of it. Murdoch's empire is the leading purveyor of implied racist language and content across the globe; for example Fox News' agenda against Obama in USA. Where I would beg to disagree is that Murdoch follows an active agenda of influencing his audience to various right-wing thinking (is right-wing thinking an oxymoron?). Yes, they do reflect their audience, but they know that audience is malleable to their sloganeering. Shout a lie loud enough and often enough and people start to believe it.

I fucking hate Murdoch, I really do.

Haha, indeed. Maybe I am doing their team a disservice in saying they're simply handing the readers what they want, it would be naive to say they don't have an agenda and work hard towards it. I did, however, feel it was best for my cycnicism to be tempered somewhat as it's clearly a delicate subject for some out there.

Haha, indeed. Maybe I am doing their team a disservice in saying they're simply handing the readers what they want, it would be naive to say they don't have an agenda and work hard towards it. I did, however, feel it was best for my cycnicism to be tempered somewhat as it's clearly a delicate subject for some out there.
No cynicism required, it's the truth and it's happening now! Murdoch has vastly disproportionate influence, the regulators are impotent.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.