Steve Coppell

Michael_Frontzeck_2013_5.jpg

Reading between the lines of what's been written subsequently it seems pretty clear that his marriage was failing and he was suffering quite badly from stress and anxiety. The state the club was in at the time probably didn't help.
To be fair this will probably be the fairest answer on this thread. The rumours were probably all started because he’s a rag.

Reading between the lines of what's been written subsequently it seems pretty clear that his marriage was failing and he was suffering quite badly from stress and anxiety. The state the club was in at the time probably didn't help.
I'm glad somebody has had the decency to say this rather than perpetuate the shower rumours...

I’ll always remember that a gobby rag I was working with broke the news to me that Coppell had left.

Update: last time I spoke to my red mate he didn’t go any more. ‘Lost the buzz’ lol

I think that’s correct. We were in a terrible state, Coppell showed up having been sold a vision by Lee but the club simply didn’t have a pot to piss in, so it was an impossible job.

Story I heard was Lee suggested Coppell take a few weeks to decide the players we needed and he'd then try to get them. A few weeks later Lee had a list but no cash so Coppell walked.

I think that’s correct. We were in a terrible state, Coppell showed up having been sold a vision by Lee but the club simply didn’t have a pot to piss in, so it was an impossible job.

That sounds very plausible. Would also explain why the veil of secrecy around it. He may well have discovered the absolute state of the club from back to front and realised he had been sold a pup and asked to resign after some form of promise not to disclose the reasons.

Certainly sounds better than the ridiculous and defamatory reasons that abounded at the time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.