Steve Coppell

i was against Mark Hughes at our club at first but he wasnt doing that bad if im honest.

Obviously the way he was outed from the club wasn't nice.
While Hughes played for the rags was not United through and through had some of his best years at Chelsea and abroad. Thought he did a fair job and deserved more time. Above all he signed Vinny.

As someone once wrote

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.”

Reading between the lines of what's been written subsequently it seems pretty clear that his marriage was failing and he was suffering quite badly from stress and anxiety. The state the club was in at the time probably didn't help.
Manchester City, ruining marriages since 1996.

Hughes spent a fair amount on new defenders and a new keeper but we proceeded to concede 3 goals to Burnley, Bolton, Sunderland and Spurs in a very short time. Other than Spurs these clubs were crap at the time. The performance against Spurs was spineless. He had to go.
Nevertheless, some of his purchases proved to be excellent in the hands of Bobbymanc e.g. Lescott, VK, Zabba.

I knew where you got your info from before l replied. It might be right but l prefer to believe my own source who is someone literally ITK at the club.
No matter who is right or wrong there was no need to finish your first reply with a smart arsed remark and my main point that Francis Lee was stupid enough to at least offer a significant amount of money at a time City were deep in debt and a laughing stock still stands.
I could copy you and finish with another 'unless you..... ......whatever' type of remark but its all a bit silly.

Just listened to the Francis Lee interview on the 'Official Man City Podcast' - he says he offered Coppell 'some compensation' but that he refused to accept it.

definitely wasn't that bad
It was, we won 2 out of 12 PL games from late September until he was sacked on Dec 19th.

28 September 2008 6Wigan Athletic2–1Manchester City

5 October 2008 7Manchester City2–3Liverpool

20 October 2008 8Newcastle United2–2Manchester City

26 October 2008 9Manchester City3–0Stoke City

29 October 2008 10Middlesbrough2–0Manchester City

2 November 2008 11Bolton Wanderers2–0Manchester City

9 November 2008 12Manchester City1–2Tottenham Hotspur

16 November 2008 13Hull City2–2Manchester City

22 November 2008 14Manchester City3–0Arsenal

30 November 2008 15Manchester City0–1Manchester United

6 December 2008 16Fulham1–1Manchester City

13 December 2008 17Manchester City0–1Everton

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.