Steve Kay - R.i.p. fella..................:-(

BTH said:
I was saddened to day to hear the news today that my old mate, Steve Kay, had finally succumbed to illness and had died yesterday. I last haw him in August in the car park at The Fernhurst, Blackburn. I knew he’d been ill but he assured me that he was feeling better and after a quick chat we said we’d speak soon. Alas, that didn’t happen; I didn’t realise how ill he was and he didn’t let on how ill he was…

I first made contact with Steve via MCIVTA over ten years ago. He was wondering if anyone in north Manchester drove to away games. My ex-girlfriend and I were wondering the same and so I emailed him to see if he’s had any success. No-one else had done though and Steve told me he didn’t mind driving to aways so long as he had a carload. Filling the car was no problem and a lasting friendship was born.

The first game we went to, I recall, was Ipswich away. I went to Portman Road a few times with Steve over the years, whether with a carload or just he and I. One time he insisted to listening to the commentary from the US Masters all the way home from Suffolk… golf on the radio… for five hours. That was Steve!

Steve hadn’t been to City as regularly as he’d wanted to as his job meant working Saturdays while he and wife Karen brought up their young family: Abigail and Ashley. He was a family man, but with their kids growing up quickly and finding their own interests (horse riding and Blackburn Rovers respectively) and a new job that didn’t involve working on Saturdays, Steve returned to the City fold on a regular basis until he’d clocked up an uninterrupted run of 100+ matches, home and away. He even managed to convert Ashley to the Blue cause in the process and he occasionally accompanied his dad and mates to away games.

Because he’d got out of the habit and time had moved on, Steve didn’t know too many City fans at first. Of course, he got to know a few through the rest of us in the ‘fanzine community’ and, before long, he knew quite an impressive number of Blues, including Nick Weaver’s parents, Alan and Diane. He did a few stints with me, writing and selling and once he’d earned his spurs, he forsook the glory of BTH and went to join Tom Ritchie’s CTIC, although he’s always help out with the odd picture and bit of info whenever I asked. Not long after he was named football fan of the year in a nationwide contest.

Steve’s penchant for networking was born out of his ritual of hanging about outside Maine Road’s players’ entrance as well as those at away grounds, taking photos of players arriving or asking them to autograph his union flag; I think everyone since Billy Meredith had autographed it! For a bloke who stood about 6’ 4” tall he made quite a sight standing among the schoolkids, but as he was usually the ‘wheels man,’ he didn’t spend as much time in the pub as some of the rest of us.

Still, he put his skills to good use and though we used to rib him mercilessly about DOSLA – mainly because none of us knew what it was, how it worked or even what it stood for – it became popular among MCIVTA’s geek community. Records and statistics were, of course, Steve’s forte and I understand that the website he founded with Ashley’s assistance is the highwater mark when it comes to City stats on the web.

Although Steve had the patience of a saint and was meticulous in his planning, the same couldn’t always be said for the rest of us. Halfway to Crewe on our way to London one day, I realised I’d left the match tickets at home. Steve didn’t so much as shrug. He simply turned the car round and drove back to my house to retrieve the tickets, which I’d left on the mantlepiece.

Having said that, for an intelligent fella, he could be as daft as a brush at times. Once, walking through that dodgy sink estate near White Hart Lane where away fans are jumped by home fans for fun, I had to insist that Steve covered up not the one City shirt with my coat, but two! More often that not, one City shirt was never enough for Steve, and so I was apprehensive when we went to The Den. Luckily, Steve had seen sense that day and had decided not to wear his entire City shirt collection.

My most memorable time with Steve came when we went to London for the weekend, together with Mike and Paul Billinge and my ex. Although we often went to London, this one was different: Wembley ’99 and City v Gillingham. Everyone knows what happened during the game but the night before we went on a pub crawl around the West End and, in a pub on The Strand, I asked a man why he’d brought an iron into the pub. He told me that he and his friends were on a Monopoly pub crawl, where they had to go into a pub on each of several Monopoly streets. Well, I couldn’t see anyone else but him with a Monopoly related object and so I asked him where the rest were. He pointed to his mate who he claimed had a dog, only it had run off. At this point a buxom lady came over and Steve asked: “And who’s she? The Community Chest?” Naturally, she had nothing to do with the Monopoly pub crawl, leaving her and Steve suitably embarrassed while the rest of us fell about laughing!

But that really was Steve: a daft bugger at times but with a heart of pure gold. He’d do anyone a favour and he was passionate about his family and Manchester City and do you know what? That’ll do for me.

Steve Kay will be sadly missed by many. Rest in peace, mate.

Below: Mike Billinge and Steve Kay (right) stop off at Maine Road on our way home from Wembley, 1999. Steve took this flag with him everywhere!

o6lhxw.jpg

RIP blue, gutted

ashley_kay said:
Hi Everyone,

It's Ash here, Steve's son. I'm overwhelmed by the response to this post. Obviously city was my dad's life (and has always been mine, as my newly converted girlfriend will vouch for) and it's amazing to see how many people have either spent some time with him, spoken to him during a game over the past 15 years, or have been touched by his labour of love, mcfcstats.com.

I've been involved with the site from the start, but nowhere near the level of commitment as him, and will be continuing it in his memory. I'm hoping to completely overhaul the site to get it to a level my dad would be proud of (and a level I've been telling him I'd get to for years!). I don't think this can be done on my own and will take time - I can provide all design/and user experience development (that's my day job) but know of a project that's being developed by a few like minded statto's to build the ultimate stats site, so I'll be in touch with them to see if we can make this a community project... for the fans, by the fans... and secure my dad's legacy.

Obviously the true statto was my dad, he meticulously compiled and researched stats in most of his free time, with much help from friends and fellow statto's - in total I think there are over 1500+ hours of his free time spent building this resource... he never wanted the site to be a money maker, just wanted it to be a complete stats resource for blues everywhere...

He passed away peacefully and pain free at Oldham hospital in the early hours of Sunday morning with all his family around him. He'd battled with skin cancer for close to three years, with the illness only really affecting his ability to get to the games in the last few weeks... I guess that's ultimate dedication, and gives true meaning to the words we use all the time CTID... :)

The funeral isn't fully confirmed yet, but is likely to be next Tuesday morning. I know it's difficult to contact everyone who knew him, but through bluemoon and his own blog (blog.mcfcstats.com) hopefully those who want to be there will know. I'll post a note tomorrow when everything is confirmed... I know dad would've wanted everyone to be there.

Obviously for anyone who knew him, the funeral is at the stadium and will be a celebration of his life, family and passion for MCFC. It's a relaxed dress code, football shirts of any colour welcome ;-)... He's already got his 2001/2002 championship winning shirt on and will arrive in his city adorned carriage...

Thankyou all again for your kind words, I knew he was special and loved him a lot, but really didn't realise he'd touched so many people.

Love and of course... CTID,
Ash

so sorry for your loss fella....your dads legacy will live on

BTH said:
I was saddened to day to hear the news today that my old mate, Steve Kay, had finally succumbed to illness and had died yesterday. I last haw him in August in the car park at The Fernhurst, Blackburn. I knew he’d been ill but he assured me that he was feeling better and after a quick chat we said we’d speak soon. Alas, that didn’t happen; I didn’t realise how ill he was and he didn’t let on how ill he was…

I first made contact with Steve via MCIVTA over ten years ago. He was wondering if anyone in north Manchester drove to away games. My ex-girlfriend and I were wondering the same and so I emailed him to see if he’s had any success. No-one else had done though and Steve told me he didn’t mind driving to aways so long as he had a carload. Filling the car was no problem and a lasting friendship was born.

The first game we went to, I recall, was Ipswich away. I went to Portman Road a few times with Steve over the years, whether with a carload or just he and I. One time he insisted to listening to the commentary from the US Masters all the way home from Suffolk… golf on the radio… for five hours. That was Steve!

Steve hadn’t been to City as regularly as he’d wanted to as his job meant working Saturdays while he and wife Karen brought up their young family: Abigail and Ashley. He was a family man, but with their kids growing up quickly and finding their own interests (horse riding and Blackburn Rovers respectively) and a new job that didn’t involve working on Saturdays, Steve returned to the City fold on a regular basis until he’d clocked up an uninterrupted run of 100+ matches, home and away. He even managed to convert Ashley to the Blue cause in the process and he occasionally accompanied his dad and mates to away games.

Because he’d got out of the habit and time had moved on, Steve didn’t know too many City fans at first. Of course, he got to know a few through the rest of us in the ‘fanzine community’ and, before long, he knew quite an impressive number of Blues, including Nick Weaver’s parents, Alan and Diane. He did a few stints with me, writing and selling and once he’d earned his spurs, he forsook the glory of BTH and went to join Tom Ritchie’s CTIC, although he’s always help out with the odd picture and bit of info whenever I asked. Not long after he was named football fan of the year in a nationwide contest.

Steve’s penchant for networking was born out of his ritual of hanging about outside Maine Road’s players’ entrance as well as those at away grounds, taking photos of players arriving or asking them to autograph his union flag; I think everyone since Billy Meredith had autographed it! For a bloke who stood about 6’ 4” tall he made quite a sight standing among the schoolkids, but as he was usually the ‘wheels man,’ he didn’t spend as much time in the pub as some of the rest of us.

Still, he put his skills to good use and though we used to rib him mercilessly about DOSLA – mainly because none of us knew what it was, how it worked or even what it stood for – it became popular among MCIVTA’s geek community. Records and statistics were, of course, Steve’s forte and I understand that the website he founded with Ashley’s assistance is the highwater mark when it comes to City stats on the web.

Although Steve had the patience of a saint and was meticulous in his planning, the same couldn’t always be said for the rest of us. Halfway to Crewe on our way to London one day, I realised I’d left the match tickets at home. Steve didn’t so much as shrug. He simply turned the car round and drove back to my house to retrieve the tickets, which I’d left on the mantlepiece.

Having said that, for an intelligent fella, he could be as daft as a brush at times. Once, walking through that dodgy sink estate near White Hart Lane where away fans are jumped by home fans for fun, I had to insist that Steve covered up not the one City shirt with my coat, but two! More often that not, one City shirt was never enough for Steve, and so I was apprehensive when we went to The Den. Luckily, Steve had seen sense that day and had decided not to wear his entire City shirt collection.

My most memorable time with Steve came when we went to London for the weekend, together with Mike and Paul Billinge and my ex. Although we often went to London, this one was different: Wembley ’99 and City v Gillingham. Everyone knows what happened during the game but the night before we went on a pub crawl around the West End and, in a pub on The Strand, I asked a man why he’d brought an iron into the pub. He told me that he and his friends were on a Monopoly pub crawl, where they had to go into a pub on each of several Monopoly streets. Well, I couldn’t see anyone else but him with a Monopoly related object and so I asked him where the rest were. He pointed to his mate who he claimed had a dog, only it had run off. At this point a buxom lady came over and Steve asked: “And who’s she? The Community Chest?” Naturally, she had nothing to do with the Monopoly pub crawl, leaving her and Steve suitably embarrassed while the rest of us fell about laughing!

But that really was Steve: a daft bugger at times but with a heart of pure gold. He’d do anyone a favour and he was passionate about his family and Manchester City and do you know what? That’ll do for me.

Steve Kay will be sadly missed by many. Rest in peace, mate.

Below: Mike Billinge and Steve Kay (right) stop off at Maine Road on our way home from Wembley, 1999. Steve took this flag with him everywhere!

o6lhxw.jpg

Really nice words Noel.

I still can't take it in.

He will be sadly missed by so many City fans.

Without his help I would not have carried on for as long as I did.

Hope you are well too.

ashley_kay said:
Hi Everyone,

It's Ash here, Steve's son. I'm overwhelmed by the response to this post. Obviously city was my dad's life (and has always been mine, as my newly converted girlfriend will vouch for) and it's amazing to see how many people have either spent some time with him, spoken to him during a game over the past 15 years, or have been touched by his labour of love, mcfcstats.com.

I've been involved with the site from the start, but nowhere near the level of commitment as him, and will be continuing it in his memory. I'm hoping to completely overhaul the site to get it to a level my dad would be proud of (and a level I've been telling him I'd get to for years!). I don't think this can be done on my own and will take time - I can provide all design/and user experience development (that's my day job) but know of a project that's being developed by a few like minded statto's to build the ultimate stats site, so I'll be in touch with them to see if we can make this a community project... for the fans, by the fans... and secure my dad's legacy.

Obviously the true statto was my dad, he meticulously compiled and researched stats in most of his free time, with much help from friends and fellow statto's - in total I think there are over 1500+ hours of his free time spent building this resource... he never wanted the site to be a money maker, just wanted it to be a complete stats resource for blues everywhere...

He passed away peacefully and pain free at Oldham hospital in the early hours of Sunday morning with all his family around him. He'd battled with skin cancer for close to three years, with the illness only really affecting his ability to get to the games in the last few weeks... I guess that's ultimate dedication, and gives true meaning to the words we use all the time CTID... :)

The funeral isn't fully confirmed yet, but is likely to be next Tuesday morning. I know it's difficult to contact everyone who knew him, but through bluemoon and his own blog (blog.mcfcstats.com) hopefully those who want to be there will know. I'll post a note tomorrow when everything is confirmed... I know dad would've wanted everyone to be there.

Obviously for anyone who knew him, the funeral is at the stadium and will be a celebration of his life, family and passion for MCFC. It's a relaxed dress code, football shirts of any colour welcome ;-)... He's already got his 2001/2002 championship winning shirt on and will arrive in his city adorned carriage...

Thankyou all again for your kind words, I knew he was special and loved him a lot, but really didn't realise he'd touched so many people.

Love and of course... CTID,
Ash
Sorry to hear of your loss mate, I didn't know your dad but judging by the posts on this thread he was a really top bloke. RIP.

Soulboy said:
BTH said:
Really nice words Noel.

I still can't take it in.

He will be sadly missed by so many City fans.

Without his help I would not have carried on for as long as I did.

Hope you are well too.

Thank you; just had to make a few edits to typos, but words alone cannot do justice to the kind of bloke Steve was. He really was a gentle giant and a good, reliable friend.

I'm particularly proud of Ashley; he was a young lad when I first met him and even though he's a young man now he's done exceptionally well to come on here tonight.

Lovely tribute BTH and well done to Ashley for coming on. Your Dad can be really proud of you.

R.I.P.

Very sad news for his family and friends, RIP Steve.

I didn't know him personally but I've been on his Stats site and couldn't believe how much info. he had on it. I hope he knew how much we appreciate the dedication he put into it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.