Stoke Fans

Ducky_ said:
Balloon Isle said:
Well said that man.

I have watched some absolute shite down the years at City... did I ever once think of packing it in just becasue it was crap? Not a chance.

You play with the hand you are dealt with.

Kenwye Jones cost £8 million and Stoke have a higher wage bill than most down there. The excuse of "they have no money" so they must play like that is utter rubbish.
Blackpool are proof that you don't have to play Rugby/Football to compete in the PL.

Rugby? You've been listening to Uncle Arsene's bedtime stories on DeludedGooners.com again, haven't you?

You're lucky Pennant only lasted 45 mins - our front four were taking the piss first half, and mainly on the deck. If Fuller had had his boots on the correct feet you'd have been dead and buried before the oranges had been quartered.

Signing off 'til we meet next year, tara' duck...

Balloon Isle said:
Ducky_ said:
Kenwye Jones cost £8 million and Stoke have a higher wage bill than most down there. The excuse of "they have no money" so they must play like that is utter rubbish.
Blackpool are proof that you don't have to play Rugby/Football to compete in the PL.

They aren't the worst team to watch in the Premiership.

We would have been more than happy to watch how Stoke play when Pearce was in charge... I think a few on here are getting a bit carried away with things.

We used to scream abuse at the way Bolton played... when they routinely finished above us.

It's up to us to prove we're better than the so-called poorer teams... but as has been shown with Stoke, Blackburn, Sunderland, Birmingham... we are not quite there yet. Do you seriously expect them to lay down and die for us..?

Not at all, but I expect them to play football against us and give it a go.

Wigan, Bolton, Blackpool, Fulham (under Hodgson) etc all play(ed) decent stuff and do more than ok, the excuse that they have to play that way out of necessity if ridiculous, that's the point I'm making, Stoke have paid good money and good wages to make them play like that while other teams have proven that you can survive playing football and spending less.<br /><br />-- Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:30 pm --<br /><br />
ruts66 said:
Rugby? You've been listening to Uncle Arsene's bedtime stories on DeludedGooners.com again, haven't you?

You're lucky Pennant only lasted 45 mins - our front four were taking the piss first half, and mainly on the deck. If Fuller had had his boots on the correct feet you'd have been dead and buried before the oranges had been quartered.

Signing off 'til we meet next year, tara' duck...

Yes rugby. Say what you want about Wenger, Arsenal play great football and spend relatively nothing compared to teams around them.

Delap's throw:

UP957552.jpg

Rugby Line out:

article-0-0252E2B3000005DC-461_468x303.jpg

I'd call them pretty similar.

Ducky_ said:
Balloon Isle said:
They aren't the worst team to watch in the Premiership.

We would have been more than happy to watch how Stoke play when Pearce was in charge... I think a few on here are getting a bit carried away with things.

We used to scream abuse at the way Bolton played... when they routinely finished above us.

It's up to us to prove we're better than the so-called poorer teams... but as has been shown with Stoke, Blackburn, Sunderland, Birmingham... we are not quite there yet. Do you seriously expect them to lay down and die for us..?

Wigan, Bolton, Blackpool, Fulham (under Hodgson) etc all play(ed) decent stuff and do more than ok, the excuse that they have to play that way out of necessity if ridiculous, that's the point I'm making, Stoke have paid good money and good wages to make them play like that while other teams have proven that you can survive playing football and spending less.

Well do you mind if I expand your argument here?

You state that Stoke paid £8m for a player, and have possibly the largest wage bill for the bottom-end teams... can't argue with that as I don't know the figures.

But if you expect Stoke to play "better" because of the money, then what about us? We have spent more than anyone else, we have possibly te largest wage bill in the Premiership.

Should we be playing "better" than Spurs? Than Arsenal? Than Chelsea? Than the rags?

If money is what determines your performance and achievements, then why have a pop at Stoke when we too seem to be punching below our weight.

When our money equates to us winning trophies, playing fabulous football, then by all means let's a have a laugh at Stoke and the others at the bottom of the league (just like the rags used to do with us if I remember correctly)... but until then I would be very careful of comparing the spending effectiveness of teams in the Premiership...

The style of football Stoke play is absolutely shocking, you could probably count the number of passes into feet on one hand, it is reminiscent of the Sunday league games I watch and often technically inferior. The reason it works is and in fairness it does is because they have big forwards who are good at winning it in the air and can actually finish the knock downs. Its a bit of a catch 22 situation really, if I was a Stoke fan I would be mightily frustrated watching that every week but at the same time how can you condemn something that works ?

I think they actually have the players at Stoke to play premier league football as it should be played and not just long ball after long ball. The reason they don't and I've said this many times before is that as long as I've got a hole in my arse Tony Pulis is never a premier league manager and wouldn't have a clue how to beat teams without his poor lower league tactics. Plus the fact the Stoke as a place is probably only second to Baghdad to places I hate to go as a visitor and can't wait to leave (felt like an eternity sat on that bus outside the ground on Saturday) adds to the fear factor some clubs have of visiting the Britannia and the players knowing that they are going to have a bitterly cold Saturday afternoon stood staring into the heavens waiting for a ball to drop drown while fending off a barrage of opposition elbows to the face has some teams already beaten.

Balloon Isle said:
Ducky_ said:

Wigan, Bolton, Blackpool, Fulham (under Hodgson) etc all play(ed) decent stuff and do more than ok, the excuse that they have to play that way out of necessity if ridiculous, that's the point I'm making, Stoke have paid good money and good wages to make them play like that while other teams have proven that you can survive playing football and spending less.

You state that Stoke paid £8m for a player, and have possibly the largest wage bill for the bottom-end teams... can't argue with that as I don't know the figures.

But if you expect Stoke to play "better" because of the money, then what about us? We have spent more than anyone else, we have possibly te largest wage bill in the Premiership.

Should we be playing "better" than Spurs? Than Arsenal? Than Chelsea? Than the rags?

If money is what determines your performance and achievements, then why have a pop at Stoke when we too seem to be punching below our weight.

When our money equates to us winning trophies, playing fabulous football, then by all means let's a have a laugh at Stoke and the others at the bottom of the league (just like the rags used to do with us if I remember correctly)... but until then I would be very careful of comparing the spending effectiveness of teams in the Premiership...

Excellent post . We can hardly talk with that logic if we struggle against Birmingham, wolves, Blackburn and Stoke themselves.

Balloon Isle said:

We play football on the deck but I don't claim that we play like Brazil (pre Dunga era). We could even benefit from Stoke's aerial threat as we haven't scored a headed goal this season bar Ade's iirc. But Stoke take it way too far.

We should be in the top 4 at the end of the season but we also have a lot of new players and a newish manager so we need time to be successful.

ruts66 said:
Ducky_ said:
Rubbish, you have spent more than most down there and play joint worst football in the league. Take Blackpool for example, they have done well and they have spent a percentage of what you have and play some great stuff.

Pulis spends (relatively) a lot of money on players to help you play the way you do. I would rather watch cricket than watch Stoke (and that's saying something!).

Ducky, as a Stoke fan I watch and enjoy what is put in front of me. It's fast, direct and effective. If you're telling me that Tuncay's reverse pass to Ethers was any less skilfull than Richards' dummy you're kidding yourself.

I have no choice of how the team I support plays even if it was poor. Listening to some of you lot saying 'I don't know how you can watch that crap', it's not like we have a choice - long suffering Stoke fans do not change colours (aka gloryhunt) because we don't perform like Barca. Proud Manchester City fans (pre-money) should identify with this but you're so desperate to emulate Manchester United you've started behaving like them, deriding everything and everbody else as lesser mortals.

If you can't see this then you're already too far gone...

The only people we're having a go at are fans on OUR site taking the piss - if you don't like it fuck off and stay on your own site

Stoke belong in Rugby Union End of, Tony Pulis needs too open his fucking eyes and stop crying too the media, getting them on his side

If everybody played the game like Manchester City, football would be dead within 2 years. It's boring, tear-inducing nonsense that's enough to turn you off the game forever. Again, I refer you to my list of people who actually 'enjoy' tippy-tappy. Firstly, supporters blindly praising everything their team does, secondly people who don't actually have to watch that sort of muck, thirdly pretentious idiots who aren't worth paying attention to and finally journalists more interested in dining at the same restaurants as the best paid players than actually watching football. I can only assume that those criticising Stoke's style of play have never actually watched us and certainly didn't pay any attention to the first half of Saturday's game. Or the Football first highlights, for that matter. Or the Match of the Day highlights. Or any of our home games against you since our promotion.

Watching Stoke play is a breath of fresh air. A typical Stoke match is like the final minute or so of the 1812 overture, rejoicing as prima donnas from across the world find out how football was supposed to be played, leaving the Britannia Stadium pitch battered, bruised and all the better for having experienced footballing utopia.

By the way, the chap going on about Man City always being better than Stoke throughout all time: Stoke City are one of the 12 most important football clubs in the world. Well, I say twelve, there's only eleven of us left now because the FA shamefully allowed Accrington FC to go out of business. Don't pretend that money buys you our kind of history.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.