Stoke (merged)

Re: Stoke Fans - Forum

Some harsh comments on here!
I know a couple of Stokies, good lads, very knowledgeable however they are- by their own admision-a bit paranoid due to the shit press they get (sounds familier !) but they're just as passionate about their club as we are of ours and if the atmosphere created by both sets of fans over the weekend is anything to go by then the Final should be a classic.
As for the game itself, i think we set our standards on saturday against Utd and only a repeat performence will be good enough to get past Stoke! As for those who think stoke are a one trick pony (Delap throw-ins) look at their goals yesterday, all five on the deck! they've moved on from the long ball and now play with pace and width. If we win the cup, we're gonna have to earn it, a big effort from us fans and a repeat performence from the players will be needed!
I'm really looking forward to the day and i'd be more than happy to share a few beers with their fans before the match, two sets of passionate fans and two teams desperate to win the cup, its got all the makings of one of the greatest cup finals ever!...Come on City(Man)!!! :)

No, BOB. I don't think they do have the upper hand, but I also think that Pullis has done well at Stoke and they deserve their spot in the final. Well played to them. I thought Bolton would turn them over, but they never showed up and fair play to Stoke for taking advantage of it. As much as I hate Pennant, he and Etherington have been great signings. Hopefully they'll be shit on the 14th of May though.

As for what is Stoke famous for... Josiah Wedgewood?

MCFC BOB said:
Does anyone else think that Stoke have the upper hand? They're going into this game with nothing to lose, and their Premier League status will be more or less secure for another season by the time this game comes around. Our Champions League place certainly will not, and Mancini and the players will have an eye on the league fixture on the Tuesday after the final.

I know Stoke were fortunate to come up against a catastrophically poor Bolton side yesterday, who offered nothing in 90 minutes other than two wayward shots and some poor excuses for 'defending', along with a goalkeeper in a rapid decline from what he was, but Walters, Jones and Delap's long throw-ins will really test Kompany. Let's hope we practise with Richards taking long throws so that we know how to defend them for when we're facing the likes of Huth. They play an ugly style of football that reminds me of rugby - going for lineouts and throwing it in to the big men - but they have some players that are good on the ground (Pennant, Jones, Whelan). It's an effective formation that Pulis has slowly gathered together and it's working well for them. Their league position at the moment suggests that they've struggled, and is mainly the reason why a lot of City fans think that we will beat them when it comes to it. But Stoke are our bogey team of late, and a team we always struggle against.

Stoke showed yesterday that they can score without Delap's throw-ins. I don't think the throw-ins will be as much of a threat as they usually are on a pitch the size of Wembley's, but - unlike they were arguing on Oatcake (I think they just grabbed the wrong end of the stick) - that is the only thing that will limit their attacks, which is why we should be wary of their strikers in open play, but they're a huge team in terms of height and muscle and will offer a stern test - a test I don't think we'll overcome.

Also, it is extremely unlikely that Stoke will be at this stage again in the forseeable future (no disrespect to any Stoke fans reading this) so they will give it everything they've got. I think we'll lose the final, but batter them in the league 4 days later. However if Stoke are still hovering precariously above the relegation zone, the game may swing in our favour.

All i can say Bob is i will never have to ask you if your a pint half full or pint half empty man.

riggymcfc123 said:
I know a couple of Stokies, good lads, very knowledgeable however they are- by their own admision-a bit paranoid due to the shit press they get (sounds familier !) but they're just as passionate about their club as we are of ours and if the atmosphere created by both sets of fans over the weekend is anything to go by then the Final should be a classic.
As for the game itself, i think we set our standards on saturday against Utd and only a repeat performence will be good enough to get past Stoke! As for those who think stoke are a one trick pony (Delap throw-ins) look at their goals yesterday, all five on the deck! they've moved on from the long ball and now play with pace and width. If we win the cup, we're gonna have to earn it, a big effort from us fans and a repeat performence from the players will be needed!
I'm really looking forward to the day and i'd be more than happy to share a few beers with their fans before the match, two sets of passionate fans and two teams desperate to win the cup, its got all the makings of one of the greatest cup finals ever!...Come on City(Man)!!! :)

Well said that man. I know a few Stokies and they do get a bad reputation. Mainly good lads who like a laugh like us I've found.

gingerthai said:
MCFC BOB said:
Does anyone else think that Stoke have the upper hand? They're going into this game with nothing to lose, and their Premier League status will be more or less secure for another season by the time this game comes around. Our Champions League place certainly will not, and Mancini and the players will have an eye on the league fixture on the Tuesday after the final.

I know Stoke were fortunate to come up against a catastrophically poor Bolton side yesterday, who offered nothing in 90 minutes other than two wayward shots and some poor excuses for 'defending', along with a goalkeeper in a rapid decline from what he was, but Walters, Jones and Delap's long throw-ins will really test Kompany. Let's hope we practise with Richards taking long throws so that we know how to defend them for when we're facing the likes of Huth. They play an ugly style of football that reminds me of rugby - going for lineouts and throwing it in to the big men - but they have some players that are good on the ground (Pennant, Jones, Whelan). It's an effective formation that Pulis has slowly gathered together and it's working well for them. Their league position at the moment suggests that they've struggled, and is mainly the reason why a lot of City fans think that we will beat them when it comes to it. But Stoke are our bogey team of late, and a team we always struggle against.

Stoke showed yesterday that they can score without Delap's throw-ins. I don't think the throw-ins will be as much of a threat as they usually are on a pitch the size of Wembley's, but - unlike they were arguing on Oatcake (I think they just grabbed the wrong end of the stick) - that is the only thing that will limit their attacks, which is why we should be wary of their strikers in open play, but they're a huge team in terms of height and muscle and will offer a stern test - a test I don't think we'll overcome.

Also, it is extremely unlikely that Stoke will be at this stage again in the forseeable future (no disrespect to any Stoke fans reading this) so they will give it everything they've got. I think we'll lose the final, but batter them in the league 4 days later. However if Stoke are still hovering precariously above the relegation zone, the game may swing in our favour.

All i can say Bob is i will never have to ask you if your a pint half full or pint half empty man.
I'm half empty. It eases the pain.

riggymcfc123 said:

I looked at their goals yesterday and what i saw was a Bolton side who didnt turn up and didnt close them down, add to that a couple of questionable Jussi attempts at saves. Basically Bolton made them look a lot better than what they are, not to take away from their win but 11 oaps with zimmerframes would have put at least 3 past Bolton yesterday.

lionheart said:
Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
Port Vale play in Burslam.
Stoke City play in Stoke.
Burslem and Stoke are just two of the five towns forming the potteries. Not 100% sure but I guess that Longton, Hanley and Newcastle-u-Lyme might be the others. It has no real centre and hardly classifies as a city either. Having graduated from their local university (Keele), where I spent three happy years back in the late-70s, I am glad to see Poke (as we students called them) enjoying some success, but they will be no match for Manchester City. If we can handle the long throw-ins, we will win by two clear goals. Playing them a few days later in the league should also be an advantage to us, as we have a much better/bigger squad than them and their players will be knackered. My only concern is that we play Spurs a few days earlier and I fear that some of our divas may hold back in that game and cost us a CL place. Hopefully, Roberto will use the squad rotation system correctly to avoid any disappointments.

Newcastle is not in stoke on trent the two you are missing are Fenton and Tunstall

Everyone goes on about Stoke's "loyal" fans yet they used to get about 11,000 a week in the Championship before they were promoted?, it's our time to end the pain for all those years of loyal service through the thin and thiner.

I agree with an earlier poster who said we need to consider and compare Stoke's motivation and City's

City are now a team that are always pushing at the top end of the table. We got to the semi-finals of the league cup last season, and are in the final of the FA cup this season. We also don't do too bad in Europe. Bottom line? City are a force, and on an ongoing basis are going to be challenging for and winning trophies for seasons to come. City's players know this.

By contrast look at Stoke. Their squad is full of journeymen average players, who know this is the best chance they will have in their careers to win anything. As a club, Stoke will never challenge for honours on an onging basis, this is their moment of truth. Thus, they will treat this game differently.

OnlyOneUweRosler said:
I agree with an earlier poster who said we need to consider and compare Stoke's motivation and City's

City are now a team that are always pushing at the top end of the table. We got to the semi-finals of the league cup last season, and are in the final of the FA cup this season. We also don't do too bad in Europe. Bottom line? City are a force, and on an ongoing basis are going to be challenging for and winning trophies for seasons to come. City's players know this.

By contrast look at Stoke. Their squad is full of journeymen average players, who know this is the best chance they will have in their careers to win anything. As a club, Stoke will never challenge for honours on an onging basis, this is their moment of truth. Thus, they will treat this game differently.

And our players won't be thinking this is their moment of truth, some of them in their first season with us, to make some history at a club that hasn't won anything for 35 years? Bollocks, the motivation, in my opinion, is in our favour.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.