Stoke post match

I hope the players aren't going to take anything for granted. They need to work very hard in every game.

The Sunderland game was so-so. Understandably. The next two games have been a serious step up. Steaua was against a team who were shell-shocked and did not know what to do to stop us. But Stoke are different. That was the first real test, and we passed.

I hope the players aren't going to take anything for granted. They need to work very hard in every game.

The Sunderland game was so-so. Understandably. The next two games have been a serious step up. Steaua was against a team who were shell-shocked and did not know what to do to stop us. But Stoke are different. That was the first real test, and we passed.

We seemed to fade around the 60 minute mark and soaked up some Stoke pressure then get a second wind with the subs. Some of the passing could be improved and taking chances in front of goal. Apart from that you really couldn't have asked for anything more from the opening three games. New system being bedded in, Sterling looks like a new player. Nolito looks like he could nick a lot of goals being the extra man over. Kolorov looks like the second coming of Beckenbauer, the club captain coming back to fitness, still one of the best midfielders in Europe to bed in. Not to forget the best young talent in Brazil and Germany to come in. I also forgot Barcelona's goal keeper being on the verge of signing too.

Carlton Pogba, boy did you back the wrong horse.

Great result. Any win is a bonus in a period where we still need to work on how Te manager wants his players to act.
Strong 1st half with decisions not the most clever ones. Clear foul on Otamendi grabbing his arm and shirt. Stoke should've had a clear penalty themselves.

2nd half poor up until Iheanacho came on. And Nolito a bit later. Fantastic vision by the former that created both goals. Pity Sterling gave ref a chance to make up and give Stoke a penalty. Was harmless yet totally unnecessary. It was tough from than on and gave the ball away too easily. Still Stoke didn't create loads. Far from it.

Imo it looks good and we've only just started.

Great result. Any win is a bonus in a period where we still need to work on how Te manager wants his players to act.
+1
I'm delighted and quite surprised - TBH - with how well we've started the season. With so many players out, with a goalie who does not yet distribute the ball nearly as well as Pep would like, with such a radical departure in tactics over last year demanding 100% concentration, positional awareness, skill on the ball, counter pressing and attendant fitness level, etc... - in short, I thought we'd struggle mightily for at least a month or so.

We fortunately have a man at the helm who understands that better than everyone. A common thread in Pep confidential is how much he wants his players to run. Last season we ran less than everyone and relied on individual brilliance to pull us through. This season we're going to combine the same individual brilliance whilst running further than everyone else. Yes you don't get points for running far, but we frequently see talent beaten out by athleticism. We're going to combine both.

Steaua was much more interesting and we looked much further along than we probably are; I don't think Steaua had any clue what to do with us which lead to us looking particularly good. Stoke weren't going to be such a pushover and it showed in the game IMO. However it can't be stressed enough how early days it still is. We're 3 competitive games in. Come back when it's 30 and see us then!

Pity Sterling gave ref a chance to make up and give Stoke a penalty. Was harmless yet totally unnecessary. It was tough from than on and gave the ball away too easily. Still Stoke didn't create loads. Far from it.

Imo it looks good and we've only just started.
I don't agree about harmless, Shawcross against Sterling at the back post is too big a mismatch and other sides will be looking at that as a possible weakness

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.