Stupid little things that bug you

But it's not just Macunians, PC, it's everywhere. Particularly in London.
Over the years, I've known many people or seen/heard them in the media, all with varying levels of intelligence, who have problems "rolling their Rs", or speaking with a lisp, etc. It's life.
However, I've NEVER heard any person with what would be called above average intelligence say
fick, fink, fanks, Fursday etc
You've only to listen to the likes of Ferdinand or Ian Wright.
It's almost like they're using it as a "badge of honour".
That’s true. And the incessant dropping of ‘ly’ in ‘ly’ words, has become rife across the country.

And ‘done’ for ‘did’!

It’s not posh. Dropping ‘h’s and ‘g’s and glottal stopping ‘t’s and ‘tt’s is fine... but replacing ‘th’s with ‘f’s and ‘d’s really does sound unintelligent.

And using the right words stops you sounding vacant in the head cavity.

For example, these Mancunian sentences are perfectly alright;
“will yer stop mitherin’ me with all yer skrikin’, yer doin’ me’ed in, buʔʔin’ in all the time!”

“snot my fault yer taʔer ‘ash is ‘angin’, a waʔ summeʔ else!”

But these two are not;
“av yer saw Dave?”
“Yeah a seen Dave frow dat fing dat went frough de window!”

There’s a difference between local accent and colloquialisms, and sounding like a thick ****.

There are exceptions :)

Beth Rigby on Sky News is obviously an intelligent woman and is a good reporter/interviewer but her slovenly use of English gets on my nerves to the point where I just can't listen to her any more and have to switch to another news channel. She drops the 'g' on every word with 'ing' in it, Thinkin, discussin, testin, waitin, meaninful, etc. I can just about put up with her saying things like battew (battle) and hospitaw but not dropping g like that.

Last edited:
Beth Rigby on Sky News is obviously an intelligent woman and is a good reporter/interviewer but her slovenly use of English gets on my nerves to the point where I just can't listen to her any more and have to switch to another news channel. She drops the 'g' on every word with 'ing' in it, Thinkin, discussing, testin, waitin, meaninful, etc. I can just about put up with her saying things like battew (battle) and hospitaw but not dropping g like that.
Even as a common man with a colloquial accent, I don’t like my news readers to speak with laziness or colloquialisms. I want someone well spoken reading the news.

Don’t know why, just the way I like it.

People walking around having a conversation on facetime, with the other party on speaker! So inconsiderate, rude and unnecessary!
If I was the guy on the other end Id hang up. Cant stand being on speaker, ive hung up mid sentance with family members before, as soon as I realised I was on speaker. Now they know better.

Beth Rigby on Sky News is obviously an intelligent woman and is a good reporter/interviewer but her slovenly use of English gets on my nerves to the point where I just can't listen to her any more and have to switch to another news channel. She drops the 'g' on every word with 'ing' in it, Thinkin, discussin, testin, waitin, meaninful, etc. I can just about put up with her saying things like battew (battle) and hospitaw but not dropping g like that.

Ha ha ! My girlfriend can't stand her for exactly thst reason. I can't watch her because she looks like a bloke.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.