Stupid little things that bug you

People who pronounce the letter H as "Haitch"
As an accountnat and attending lectures, there is one speaker that pronounces her H's as Haitch. Ok, but when it's a lecture about tax and she has to refer to HMRC throughout, it gets so irriating you end up waiting for it rather than listing to the the important facts!

I love how there are so many 'language experts' on this thread getting all wound up about what they believe is the incorrect pronunciation of the letter 'h' (i.e., the RP version - both versions are completely acceptable), yet probably think nothing of constantly dropping the 'h' from words when they speak, or the 'g' at the end of 'ing', or even overusing the glottal stop. I could go on with mispronouncing 'th' or using apostrophes incorrectly.
Most of the users on this forum are Mancs or from nearby. Are you all happy with your pronunciation of vowels?

I love how there are so many 'language experts' on this thread getting all wound up about what they believe is the incorrect pronunciation of the letter 'h' (i.e., the RP version - both versions are completely acceptable), yet probably think nothing of constantly dropping the 'h' from words when they speak, or the 'g' at the end of 'ing', or even overusing the glottal stop. I could go on with mispronouncing 'th' or using apostrophes .
Most of the users on this forum are Mancs or from nearby. Are you all happy with your pronunciation of vowels?
I like your use of the word "probably" in the middle of paragraph one.
Does this mean that you have not actually done research to back up your assertion?
My whinge is not about correct or incorrect usage. Those cockney accents on say EastEnders are a local variant and not wrong, but they grate on me nevertheless.

I love how there are so many 'language experts' on this thread getting all wound up about what they believe is the incorrect pronunciation of the letter 'h' (i.e., the RP version - both versions are completely acceptable), yet probably think nothing of constantly dropping the 'h' from words when they speak, or the 'g' at the end of 'ing', or even overusing the glottal stop. I could go on with mispronouncing 'th' or using apostrophes incorrectly.
Saying ‘haitch’ for the letter ‘h’ is the equivalent of singing ‘sometimes, all I need is the hair that I breathe and to love you’ to The Hollies’ song.

As an accountnat and attending lectures, there is one speaker that pronounces her H's as Haitch. Ok, but when it's a lecture about tax and she has to refer to HMRC throughout, it gets so irriating you end up waiting for it rather than listing to the the important facts!
What’s an accountnat?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.