Suella Braverman - sacked as Home Secretary (p394)

I know that, but he’s not going to be the only one in an hotel for a year, is he? There’s a suggestion that we’re currently paying almost £7M A DAY on these hotels which would actually pay for at least 1 or 2 civil servants, surely?
Your error, if I may say so, is that you assume somebody stands back and looks at the bigger picture.

They don't. They fight little turf wars where every attempt to erode a particular budget is met with the response 'we don't need X, their budget can be cut instead.'

Also, the cost would be frontloaded. So you have a doubling of costs because until the new intake has to be trained up before they are ready to start making quite major decisions about people's lives. (They did in fact recruit a load of new civil servants into the Immigration & Asylum teams 12/18 months ago, who have not exactly sorted it all out.) So there would be a doubling of cost in the short term while they are (a) paying for the status quo and (b) employing the new intake that isn't yet able to make inroads into the backlog.

I completely agree that anybody actually standing back and looking at the bigger picture would surely come to the same conclusion you have. But they don't. The head honcho says 'deliver me savings,' down the food chain people look at the figures and say 'X can be cut/not increased,' and people further still down the food chain say 'you can't cut my section because...'

We all know tomorrow will be painful. We will all pay more tax and get less back for it in terms of our public services. The government/civil service is hugely into cost cutting measures now. I was in a publicly funded building last week where there was a notice by the lift asking whether users really need to use the lifts, could they take the stairs instead. Every little helps.

In that environment I just don't see anyone saying 'this will cost us X in the short term but will be cost neutral in the longer term.'

Yes. As you know, it isn't illegal to enter the country on a dinghy (say) provided you are here to apply for asylum and provided you do so at the first reasonable opportunity. Once your application (and any appeal) has been dismissed you no longer have a valid reason for being here.

The reason, I am told, for this policy of simply letting them loose is that the Home Office simply do not have the resources to hold the failed asylum applicants pending deportation. So they basically do what they need to do to make it someone else's problem.

So I suppose another way of explaining your 75% figure is that it is Home Office policy for the other 25% to become part of the black economy.
These people are Illegal Entrants and are served documentation stating this when an asylum screening is conducted, for example it can be as an Illegal Entrant: Clandestine or Entry Without Leave (EWOL) this is recorded on a Notice of Liability and served to person concerned. Whether they are applying for asylum or not still makes them illegal entrants due to the nature of their arrival in the UK for example not via a Central Control Point (CPC) or without the required visa etc. The claim of asylum is a barrier to removal whilst the application is considered/processed. Deportation is for an extensive criminal history which is calculated by totting up custodial sentences etc. FAS’s (Failed Asylum Seekers) can be removed not Deported. There is a huge difference between Deportation and Administrative Removal from the UK.

Last edited:
Nah, it’s all coming out of the foreign aid budget. You know, the money given in aid to foreign countries to improve their lives so that they don’t need to get into boats to come over here.
Which we made huge cuts to and now spend much of it on ourselves.

Our influence in the world is diminished, we no longer have a say.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.