Suella Braverman - sacked as Home Secretary (p394)

Why the last 5-10 years? Surely that is just cherry picking the best time period to suit your argument? The overall facts strongly support the UK not being racist or anti immigration (or Nazi). The fairest way to assess is, I think, to look at the current population and ask how many are immigrants now, not from 1 year, 10 years but now!
I'm not so sure racism cuts the mustard anymore but xenophobia is still a big issue. That issue is primarily founded in post-war governments and events like the cold-war which have instilled suspiciousness.

Most people have some element of prejudice in them either way. For example if a Polish family move in next door then many would be prejudicially inclined to expect trouble and tut at immigrants coming here.

When you consider though the fact that Polish squadrons flew in the RAF or just the fact that virtually all of us have some inherent immigrant past then that's how stupid that prejudice is but it's all in us to a degree unfortunately.

For me I've tried to question that where I can and to embrace new cultures. Over the last 5-10 years we've had a sudden influx of Turkish population where I live for example. If people actually just went into a Turkish restaurant and met these people then they'll realise why there is nothing to fear and we should welcome them.

As I've said many times on this issue, is an Indian wedding as British as a cricket green? To me it is 100%.

I wasn't appointing blame on the uncontrolled immigration , just pointing out that it happened during our tenure in the EU.

I saw on the news yesterday that the majority of those currently coming over on boats are in fact from Albania.

It's reasonable to assume that the majority of these people are not refugees is it not? So it's reasonable to assume that once rejected they will continue to get in boats like they do now.

It's very hard to see how to stop this happening is the point I was making.
28% of the total for last year it says

Lineker is a virtue signallers poster boy. I saw a Jewish gentleman being interviewed on the news calling his comments 'crass'. We had all this nonsense during brexit where both sides accused the other of Nazi tactics. I totally agree that once you bring Nazis into your argument then you have drifted from rational debate into hysteria and have lost the argument.
Isn't that extreme in itself tho? You could almost be accused of whitewashing history. Don't mention the Nazi's!

Everyone knows what Lineker is saying.

If the Tories aren't signalling here, then I've wasted 46 years of having a brain. Everyone can see it except the signallees.

Lineker is a virtue signallers poster boy. I saw a Jewish gentleman being interviewed on the news calling his comments 'crass'. We had all this nonsense during brexit where both sides accused the other of Nazi tactics. I totally agree that once you bring Nazis into your argument then you have drifted from rational debate into hysteria and have lost the argument.

Lineker is many things but he can’t be accused of being a virtue signaller when he’s been housing refugees for years.

Some Jewish people might find him crass, others like the one who confronted Braverman in January will agree - Holocaust survivors are not a monolithic bloc that think as one.

You have only lost when its inappropriate . Doesnt matter who said it thats the wrong argument and a distraction.The question is was he right IMO yes he was
The idea that the tories are similar to Nazis is infantile beyond belief. Have a look at what the Nazis did. Lineker is entitled to his opinion but he has made a prat of himself.

Jews are like the rest of us. Some have a right-wing view of the world, others a left-wing one. To assume all Jews think alike is itself an anti-Semitic trope. No individual Jew speaks for all Jews just as no individual Christian speaks for all Christians.

Lineker is many things but he can’t be accused of being a virtue signaller when he’s been housing refugees for years.

Some Jewish people might find him crass, others like the one who confronted Braverman in January will agree - Holocaust survivors are not a monolithic bloc that think as one.
Surely the fact that he has made sure we know he has been housing refugees in his home is signalling his virtue?

Why the last 5-10 years? Surely that is just cherry picking the best time period to suit your argument? The overall facts strongly support the UK not being racist or anti immigration (or Nazi). The fairest way to assess is, I think, to look at the current population and ask how many are immigrants now, not from 1 year, 10 years but now!
I'm not cherry picking anything to make an argument - I'm not even especially trying to make an argument about how the UK compares to the rest of Europe. I think the government's migration policy is immoral and illegal in and of itself: what happens in other countries doesn't come in to it.

My point about stats is that if we are talking about current policy (which I thought we were - you might be talking about something else), then numbers of recent arrivals are much more relevant than statistics which reflect how many people migrated 40 years ago.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.