Suella Braverman - sacked as Home Secretary (p394)

Braverman should do what Italy used to do. Ignore the court ruling, send them back and take the fine. It’s cheaper than having to roll out the red carpet and five star hotels for these economic chancers.
Alternatively, implement the laws and conventions that we signed up to, and take economic advantage of the fact that some people want to make the UK their home.

Article on why Rwanda is presently not a safe place for refugees, including ones originally from Rwanda itself who might be contemplating returning. It’s actually authored by a Rwandan too.

Also worth bearing in mind that although the superb investigative journalist Sally Hayden describes ordinary Rwandans as ‘polite, civilised, welcoming and humble’, President Kagame’s attempts to crush opposition to his rule, have his opponents who live abroad assassinated, and severely restrict the freedom of the press, all call into question Braverman’s policy.

Last edited:
Just some info that i think might be food for thought.

My wife works in the NHS as a Mental Health Practitioner, specifically within a Carers project...ie she provides support etc to those who have to care for people with severe and enduring mental health problems.
She is currently working with a family who are asylum seekers...an older father and mother with a young adult son with severe anxiety and schizophrenia. They each witnessed the eldest son being killed in their own home back in Iraq. They all have PTSD from what happened there, as well as the months of travel overland to reach somewhere safe.

They left with the clothes on their back and what they could carry.

They have been here about a year.

They thankfully have been housed...its basic accommodation, but its somewhere they can sleep / exist

They get £40 each a week.

They have "bank accounts" however they have to use a card to pay for things...they cannot withdraw cash and cannot deposit into the accounts.

Whilst my wifes service is not specifically for asylum seekers, its for those who need help to support others with mental health problems, and to help prevent their own from suffering and becoming unwell.
Part of the support she can offer them is a one off Carers Allowance of £100 (i believe they can get this once a year, possibly twice...cant remember which, but its no more than twice). The caveat is that they receive this in a form of voucher, and it MUST be for something to help with the stresses of being a carer...ie hairdressers voucher, to go to the cinema etc. It cannot be used for essentials, food, clothes etc.

As i work in association with Social Services i have numerous examples of asylum seekers, refugees who are very much NOT living in 5 star hotels nor being given lots of money/benefits, phones, TVs etc etc.

When you know the true and real details of these poor peoples plight, it makes you feel sick, it makes you cry.

If you cant empathise with that, or think its not your/our problem...then fine. I think its a shame you have no feelings for other helpless human beings. But someone has to help them, and i guess the rest of us will try to do so, as best we can.

Oh, and you're a cnut.

Last edited:
Just some info that i think might be food for thought.

My wife works in the NHS as a Mental Health Practitioner, specifically within a Carers project...ie she provides support etc to those who have to care for people with severe and enduring mental health problems.
She is currently working with a family who are asylum seekers...an older father and mother with a young adult son with severe anxiety and schizophrenia. They each witnessed the eldest son being killed in their own home back in Iraq. They all have PTSD from what happened there, as well as the months of travel overland to reach somewhere safe.

They left with the clothes on their back and what they could carry.

They have been here about a year.

They thankfully have been housed...its basic accommodation, but its somewhere they can sleep / exist

They get £40 each a week.

They have "bank accounts" however they have to use a card to pay for things...they cannot withdraw cash and cannot deposit into the accounts.

Whilst my wifes service is not specifically for asylum seekers, its for those who need help to support others with mental health problems, and to help prevent their own from suffering and becoming unwell.
Part of the support she can offer them is a one off Carers Allowance of £100 (i believe they can get this once a year, possibly twice...cant remember which, but its no more than twice). The caveat is that they receive this in a form of voucher, and it MUST be for something to help with the stresses of being a carer...ie hairdressers voucher, to go to the cinema etc. It cannot be used for essentials, food, clothes etc.

As i work in association with Social Services i have numerous examples of asylum seekers, refugees who are very much NOT living in 5 star hotels nor being given lots of money/benefits, phones, TVs etc etc.

When you know the true and real details of these poor peoples plight, it makes you feel sick, it makes you cry.

If you cant empathise with that, or think its not your/our problem...then fine. I think its a shame you have no feelings for other helpless human beings. But someone has to help them, and i guess the rest of us will try to do so, as best we can.

Oh, and you're a cnut.
Excellent post that lifts the lid on what is really going on.

Lots of similar stories in this book, which is about refugees attempting to flee from countries like Eritrea (the North Korea of Africa), Sierra Leone, Gambia, Ethiopia and the Sudan.

It’s mainly about the Libya to Italy route. Along the way, torture, rape, slavery and malnutrition are all common experiences. They pay the traffickers who, once the refugees are in their clutches, renegotiate the price and torture them, post footage on social media, and try to extort money from the relatives back home, who will then sell all they have or run up massive debts to pay off the smugglers.

And if they do get as far as Libya, the Libyan coastguard are paid by the EU to intercept the boats. So they end up back in internment camps run by Libyan militias where the conditions are horrendous.

In principle they are being held there until either they are evacuated to Europe or repatriated back to where they came from by the UNHCR or the IOM, organisations that know very well what is happening and do almost fuck-all about it.

The nearest point of reference (which the author herself refers to at one point), are the Hunger Games movies, though in this instance the refugees willingly submit to the process because life back in their place of origin has nothing whatsoever to offer them, so much so that they are willing to risk death.

This is the book. For my money, Sally Hayden has inherited the mantle of journalists like Robert Fisk and Patrick Cockburn in her extraordinary reportage.

1688055426621.png

Braverman should do what Italy used to do. Ignore the court ruling, send them back and take the fine. It’s cheaper than having to roll out the red carpet and five star hotels for these economic chancers.

send them back where? you do realise that once they leave a host country that host will not be keen on having them back and unless we have agreements with that country they have no reason to accept their return and will largely talk about them in the same way you are.

How would you get returnee's to another host country? You can't land a plane without permission to do so. You can't dock a ship without permission either.

Thats the problem - loads of people talk bollocks about it like they did with "free" trade without having the first clue what they were going on about. Just because we are the UK/GB/England doesn't make us as exceptional as some think it does and more to the point as we dwindle in terms of international relevance and trade the more the rest of the world hear from us and go "who? wasn't that place once a thing? "

I do wonder why they are risking there lives
coming here when our country is falling apart.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.