Sun Jihai - your memories

johnny on the spot said:
He twatted Matthew Etherington (West Ham) in the FA Cup quarter final under Pearce.

I had high hopes for that cup run.

I think woman-slapped would be more accurate

Prestwich_Blue said:
After we scored the 4th in the 4-3 at Spurs. You can see him saying to himself "Unbelievable. Fucking hell."

Exactly what I was going to say! He was in as much shock as the rest of us and he was playing in it!

danburge82 said:
He was immense against Chelsea at home. Can't remember the year, might have been 2005. We ended up losing (was it?) 1-0 to a Gudjonsen winner. Sun was the best player on the pitch.

Was about the post this myself! I seem to remember we played Arsenal at home a couple of weeks later and Sun was once again having an absolute stormer in midfield before he had to go off with an injury. He was genuinely brilliant on both occasions.

My favourite Sun Jihai memory is from the Maine Road days when the players would park their cars behind the Platt Lane Stand and sign autographs as they walked towards the player's entrance. On this occasion, Sun must've rocked up a good 20-30 minutes after everyone else and started a brisk walk from his car. I just so happened to have been stood in his way and when I politely asked for his autograph he said "No, solly*, I must go to work now!" and sprinted off.

It's also worth mentioning that he was driving a Vauxhall Corsa at the time.

*Definitely not racist

When he made his debut at Maine road, no idea against who, but I'm sure he was a sub. He very quickly made a challenge which was more of a Kung fu kick. Everyone laughed and chanted 'sun jihai' in a style which seemed somehow apt, which would have suited doing karate chops in the air.

I also remember seeing small groups of Chinese people at the stadium every week. Wasn't there a game against everton, who also had a Chinese player, which was rumoured to have massive viewing figures over there?

I also remember that he changed his name from sun jihai to jihai sun, but it was far too late.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.