Sunday football teams, now gone....

doots said:
Wythenshawe Sunday league, those were the days.
Still pissed from the night before, scratching round half an hour before kick off to muster a starting eleven til the rest of the 'squad' turned up.Scrapping against the Portway or Firbank, or both. Winning fuck all but loved every minute of it.

Changing rooms in Wythenshawe park getting turned over, Hollyhedge park games cancelled because a burnt-out car on the centre circle. The pitch in Northenden that flooded and the pavilion ended up across the field. Royal Oak, Gladeside, Red Rose the Newall and many others, great times.

Markt85 said:
Sunday league is massive down south. I play for Bexley Town and we reached final last season and got promoted ... Now I've had a couple months break the thought of returning is a killer, especially as I'm 30 next year and the standard is going to be better ... I've always said to myself I'll never give it up so will continue to play until I physically can't

30!!!! You're a baby!!! :-)

Started a team with a mate in about 1988, played in the blackley league first, went through every division, won all the cups they had to offer.

Left that league and took the team into the middleton league. Did the same there with more or less the same lads.

Stopped when legs gave way about 7 years ago.

The middleton league used to have 4 good divisions but now it has gone. Some good teams like Langley rangers, Albion, Celtic, hebers, Langley labour club.

I think what was left may have amalgamated with the bury league

Why Always Ste said:
One post saying the kids leagues are as strong as ever, with 10 divisions and another post saying kids don't wanna play the sport anymore... :s

Love playing football but I wouldn't know where to look these days.

Kids I meant 18 upwards....:-)

bellbuzzer said:
doots said:
Wythenshawe Sunday league, those were the days.
Still pissed from the night before, scratching round half an hour before kick off to muster a starting eleven til the rest of the 'squad' turned up.Scrapping against the Portway or Firbank, or both. Winning fuck all but loved every minute of it.

Changing rooms in Wythenshawe park getting turned over, Hollyhedge park games cancelled because a burnt-out car on the centre circle. The pitch in Northenden that flooded and the pavilion ended up across the field. Royal Oak, Gladeside, Red Rose the Newall and many others, great times.
And you wonder why it doesn't exist anymore. Christ...

;-)

Bellbuzzer, pm being composed. Would love to hear some stories you've alluded to tbh

tidyman said:
I played for loads of sides, mainly in Wythenshawe and Moss Side in the 80's, 90's and 00's.

The City of Manchester Sunday League. Was always a shit league but had about 10 divisions. Long gone.

Wythenshawe Sunday League. Had four strong divisions not that long ago. Struggling to get enough teams to even keep going next year.

Altrincham Sunday League. Pretty much same story as above.

Terrible shame really. But even when I was running teams 20 years ago, you could see the gradual decline in interest just from one season to the next.

Interestingly though, junior football seems to be as strong as it's ever been. Timperley Junior League has about 10 divisions for every age group.

I probably played against U then, I played for Brooklands 88, from the start on sundays( obviously 1988) for 15 years or so, in the Altrincham sundays, but played for Old York Victoria, for about the same time on Saturdays, a Moss side team but played in the Alty league! I think junior football strong cos the parents see it as social event for themselves so push them TBH!

Used to play for the Hop Pole and the Gardeners Arms in Waterloo;we played in the Hyde and District.
Blocksages,King George's,Richmond St. playing fields,both pubs gone and one of the pitches.
Going to Hattersley would bring on a injury crisis before the game and definitely after,one team in Glossop (Charlestown) had a pitch with a slope so big it could have been used for a toboggan course.
It's a shame but when I played in Australia a company I worked frowned on staff playing contact sport at the weekends,due to the sickies staff were taking on Monday.

corky1970 said:
I played for flixton in the North West counties league , favourite memory was going up to Kendal to play in the final of the cup which we won.
Massive trophy, came back to the function room in flixton after a a great coach journey back and were treated like heroes
Was in the MEN soon after with a large team photo and me sat next to the cup in that footballers pose with my right bollock hanging out of my shorts....oh how I laughed...not
Thought I was going to make it as a footballer as I was better than Bell, Messi, Yaya and Silva put together, but my acne cleared up one month forever and some strange humans called women started to think I was attractive, with these luscious beauties came the beer .
Then the missed training sessions

Then more beer

More shagging

Fail

Regrets

Hate

Cunts

So you are blaming your landlady for this?

pride in battle said:
Anyone on here used to play Sunday football in the era of great teams, great leagues?
I used to play for the Joiners Libs, early 80's in the Salford Sunday League....6 divisions, now all gone...some really good players played at that level on some really shitty pitches, ie Littleton Rd, anyway any memories? Apart from the football there was some real characters, incidents...remember a guy once coming on the pitch with a sawn off shotgun!!!

Not sure if it was the same incident with the gun but was it the game between the Joiners or it might of been the Welly and the Windsor Bridge ( known as The Weigher ) the game was played on Bolton road playing fields and my old man was playing for The Weigher. I was watching the game and it all kicked off on the pitch and one player ran to his car and came back with the gun. As you say some great players and some characters :) . The Salford league had 6 divisions and a Premier and the Weigher, the Welly and the Joiners usually fought it out for the Premier title . Great days as a kid watching that every Sunday :)

The highlight to the Sunday League season used to be The North West Champions of Champions Cup.

The semis used to be ( still are I think ) on Good Friday and Easter Monday and the final on the next bank holiday.

I first remember them been someone in North Manchester ( ICI ground? ) and then they moved to Kirkmanshulme Lane and later to Brantingham Road.

The crowds they used to get would be the envy of some fourth division league teams and the standard probably not far behind either.

There would always be some epic battles with Liverpool and Birkenhead teams along the way but the finals I remember seemed to usually be between a combination of The Royal Oak/ Lantern Wythenshawe) Astro ( Moss Side ) The Southern ( Chorlton ) and a North Manchester team, maybe Langley Rangers but not sure.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.