Sunday football teams, now gone....

BlueBearBoots said:
Are the teams failing because lads don't want to play anymore?

lots of reasons, schools dont teach competitive sports, dont employ dedicated football coaches, playing fields sold off, councils charging sky high rent for pitches so they can sell off the sports grounds. No body wants to be a ref anymore [ abuse spectator interference]
The indoor 6aside leagues seem to be a better fit with modern living, now most pubs are history.
As an aside, Europe has never had the ''pub culture'' to sustain it's football development, sports clubs for youngsters with government funding and local involvement of councils.
We will never catch up, the will is simply not there.

bellbuzzer said:
BlueBearBoots said:
Are the teams failing because lads don't want to play anymore?

lots of reasons, schools dont teach competitive sports, dont employ dedicated football coaches, playing fields sold off, councils charging sky high rent for pitches so they can sell off the sports grounds. No body wants to be a ref anymore [ abuse spectator interference]
The indoor 6aside leagues seem to be a better fit with modern living, now most pubs are history.
As an aside, Europe has never had the ''pub culture'' to sustain it's football development, sports clubs for youngsters with government funding and local involvement of councils.
We will never catch up, the will is simply not there.

You have to be mad to ref....my lad did a game I was at once and some fat fcuker on the sidelines gave him severe grief until I went over and threatened to pull his fcuking head off.

My lad still wants to do it but the mate he did it with has dropped out.

blueju said:
Played for the corpy in guide bridge for years in tameside prem. our home pitch was oxford park (dogshit park)great pitch, massive, good crowd watching but covered in dogshit. We got there one morning and a bloke was dragging his Alsatian off the centre circle whilst it tried to snap one off , another time our striker slid full length right through one in front of me funny as fook.
Still playing in oz and the pitches out here are miles better and full every week

I scored on my debut against Corpy when I was 16 (mid-nineties) for the White House Denton on Broadoak Ashton. We was winning 5-0 and my dad decided to ease me in and I ended up scoring a volley from 30 yards. The Hyde Prem was a tough league in its heyday, I remember Grey Horse and the Royal Oak (Gorton) being strong opponents.

I debated making a comeback this season at the ripe old age of 38 after some serious weight loss but can't spare the time to be honest just going to play 5 a side. Played for the four in hand for years, the brewers in lady barn, ash lands in the altrincham league, the Nelson in didsbury and the Fletcher moss in the wythenshaw league Many happy days !!!

Tbilisi said:
Moved from Denton to Sheffield when I was quite young and when I left school played for a really good side and we won the league.

I didnt enjoy it as was all a bit serious so formed a team from my local pub,just mates,we would be in a club until 4ish then play at 10am pissed as farts.

Would be a bit hairy sometimes turning up to play against a team of fat hairy arsed steelworkers who had drunk 25 pints the night before I can tell you.

As someone said earlier local pubs drove this,such a shame its fading out now.

Due to my job I stopped playing at 25 but glad I did as fcuk knows what my knees would be like if I had played until my 30/40s.

I'm 50 mate and still playing 11 a side on a full size pitch :-)

I've been involved in amateur football for 35 years. I first played for PZ in the City of Manchester Sunday League. Games kicked off (in both senses of the phrase) in the afternoon, and most players had come straight from the pub. I remember playing Parrs Wood, who had a good player called Paul Kirby, who was a year or two above me in junior school. I scored within 10 seconds of the start of that game.

Shortly after, I started my first team - PTL. We played in the Altrincham League, and also the Manchester Saturday Morning League, which I helped to set up, and is still running. I recall Ben Arthurs (RIP) was one of our referees. His son was in Oasis. I started another team from the church I attended in Brooklands, so in my late teens I played Saturday morning and afternoon, and Sunday afternoon. I had a short spell with Whalley Range in the Lancs Amateur League as well, and also played for my works team in the Nalgo Cup.

I ended up as secretary for two teams simultaneously, as well as league secretary, and by the age of 30 I had started refereeing. I used to do my own league on Saturday mornings, plus the Manchester Amateur League, the Manchester League, the Manchester Wednesday League, the Lancs and Cheshire, and the Lancashire League. I eventually progressed to the Unibond League as a linesman. I remember one idiot in a game in Bury, being sent off for hitting an opponent. He ran back on the pitch 15 minutes later with a bottle, attacking the lad he had previously hit. During this time I assisted Jeff Winter, Uriah Rennie, was fourth official at Preston, Old Trafford, and the highlight was to run a line at Maine Road, where I met Francis Lee.

I still play the occasional 7-a-side game at work, and I play every week 11-a-side on an outdoor 3G pitch. I dropped refereeing, but have been secretary of my local junior club for the last 10 years, and I am one of the fixtures secretaries for the Warrington Junior League, which is the largest league in the country, with around 80 clubs and probably more than 700 teams. I tried to relinquish the secretary job at our recent AGM, but nobody stepped forward to take over, so I am still fulfilling this role. It is quite an onerous job running a club with 20 teams and unfortunately, there seems to be fewer and fewer administrators willing to help out in these essential roles. Our job is not made any easier by the FA, who insist each team must have a qualified coach and qualified medic all trained by them. We have a couple of doctors helping out with our teams, but their qualifications do not permit them to oversee their teams unless they have been on the FA course.

The FA blueprint for the future of our game sees teams progress from Under 7s for 2 years at each format of 5v5, then 7v7, then 9v9, and from Under 13s 11-a-side. This has closed many clubs down as they cannot afford to buy extra equipment for all these formats, and cannot attract or afford the extra coaches required following the downsizing of the squads at the lower ages.

Yes, adult football is declining. Junior football is flourishing though, despite the difficulties.

Played for a Sunday team called Marlboro

Our goal keeper had polio, so they put the ball past his dodgy leg

UUBlue said:
I've been involved in amateur football for 35 years. I first played for PZ in the City of Manchester Sunday League. Games kicked off (in both senses of the phrase) in the afternoon, and most players had come straight from the pub. I remember playing Parrs Wood, who had a good player called Paul Kirby, who was a year or two above me in junior school. I scored within 10 seconds of the start of that game.

Shortly after, I started my first team - PTL. We played in the Altrincham League, and also the Manchester Saturday Morning League, which I helped to set up, and is still running. I recall Ben Arthurs (RIP) was one of our referees. His son was in Oasis. I started another team from the church I attended in Brooklands, so in my late teens I played Saturday morning and afternoon, and Sunday afternoon. I had a short spell with Whalley Range in the Lancs Amateur League as well, and also played for my works team in the Nalgo Cup.

I ended up as secretary for two teams simultaneously, as well as league secretary, and by the age of 30 I had started refereeing. I used to do my own league on Saturday mornings, plus the Manchester Amateur League, the Manchester League, the Manchester Wednesday League, the Lancs and Cheshire, and the Lancashire League. I eventually progressed to the Unibond League as a linesman. I remember one idiot in a game in Bury, being sent off for hitting an opponent. He ran back on the pitch 15 minutes later with a bottle, attacking the lad he had previously hit. During this time I assisted Jeff Winter, Uriah Rennie, was fourth official at Preston, Old Trafford, and the highlight was to run a line at Maine Road, where I met Francis Lee.

I still play the occasional 7-a-side game at work, and I play every week 11-a-side on an outdoor 3G pitch. I dropped refereeing, but have been secretary of my local junior club for the last 10 years, and I am one of the fixtures secretaries for the Warrington Junior League, which is the largest league in the country, with around 80 clubs and probably more than 700 teams. I tried to relinquish the secretary job at our recent AGM, but nobody stepped forward to take over, so I am still fulfilling this role. It is quite an onerous job running a club with 20 teams and unfortunately, there seems to be fewer and fewer administrators willing to help out in these essential roles. Our job is not made any easier by the FA, who insist each team must have a qualified coach and qualified medic all trained by them. We have a couple of doctors helping out with our teams, but their qualifications do not permit them to oversee their teams unless they have been on the FA course.

The FA blueprint for the future of our game sees teams progress from Under 7s for 2 years at each format of 5v5, then 7v7, then 9v9, and from Under 13s 11-a-side. This has closed many clubs down as they cannot afford to buy extra equipment for all these formats, and cannot attract or afford the extra coaches required following the downsizing of the squads at the lower ages.

Yes, adult football is declining. Junior football is flourishing though, despite the difficulties.

Talk about dedication. Kudos to you mate
The FA is not fit to run football, and while they do we shall remain a laughing stock.

Hollywood Blue said:
I played for a team in Oldham called Westwood and The Woodman in Middleton, it was a great laugh, but fucking brutal at times, as anyone who ever played against the Moston Miners will testify.

Some of the tackling was bordering on assault, you cannot tackle from behind now but in them days they just went straight through you!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.