Sunday football teams, now gone....

The death of Sunday league football goes hand in hand with the death of the local pub.

Most pubs were the hub of the local community with football, darts, crib, pool teams, all sadly now gone.

It didn't matter how good or how shit you were, if you wanted a game of football on a Sunday there was a team for you, turn up still pissed from the night before, puke your guts up chasing the ball, a few lethal tackles, then back to your pub too continue your weekend.

I remember Bowlee fields on a Sunday morning, shit changing rooms, even shittier pitches, games were never called off, fingers crossed that you'd have enough players turn up ( before the days of mobiles) locals off Langley searching for mushrooms.

tidyman said:
The highlight to the Sunday League season used to be The North West Champions of Champions Cup.

The semis used to be ( still are I think ) on Good Friday and Easter Monday and the final on the next bank holiday.

I first remember them been someone in North Manchester ( ICI ground? ) and then they moved to Kirkmanshulme Lane and later to Brantingham Road.

The crowds they used to get would be the envy of some fourth division league teams and the standard probably not far behind either.

There would always be some epic battles with Liverpool and Birkenhead teams along the way but the finals I remember seemed to usually be between a combination of The Royal Oak/ Lantern Wythenshawe) Astro ( Moss Side ) The Southern ( Chorlton ) and a North Manchester team, maybe Langley Rangers but not sure.

I remember Langley Rangers playing Astro (broosters) in the final on the ICI in Blackley, funny coz the day before I'd been on one of MW's coaches watching City in London with a few Astro players and supporters, the next facing them.
We played The Joiners from Salford in one final aswell, eventful day that was.

corky1970 said:
I played for flixton in the North West counties league , favourite memory was going up to Kendal to play in the final of the cup which we won.
Massive trophy, came back to the function room in flixton after a a great coach journey back and were treated like heroes
Was in the MEN soon after with a large team photo and me sat next to the cup in that footballers pose with my right bollock hanging out of my shorts....oh how I laughed...not
Thought I was going to make it as a footballer as I was better than Bell, Messi, Yaya and Silva put together, but my acne cleared up one month forever and some strange humans called women started to think I was attractive, with these luscious beauties came the beer .
Then the missed training sessions

Then more beer

More shagging

Fail

Regrets

Hate

Cunts
brilliant.

Its a shame.

My old local used to have 2 saturday teams and 3 sunday teams and the pub after was always buzzing.

At the end of the season we had Champions of Cheadle tourny at Cheadle Town fc and 16 teams from Cheadle entered every year, now I know of only 1 amatuer team left and they are struggling.

tidyman said:
The highlight to the Sunday League season used to be The North West Champions of Champions Cup.

The semis used to be ( still are I think ) on Good Friday and Easter Monday and the final on the next bank holiday.

I first remember them been someone in North Manchester ( ICI ground? ) and then they moved to Kirkmanshulme Lane and later to Brantingham Road.

The crowds they used to get would be the envy of some fourth division league teams and the standard probably not far behind either.

There would always be some epic battles with Liverpool and Birkenhead teams along the way but the finals I remember seemed to usually be between a combination of The Royal Oak/ Lantern Wythenshawe) Astro ( Moss Side ) The Southern ( Chorlton ) and a North Manchester team, maybe Langley Rangers but not sure.

Yes it was played at ICI Blackley.....

BlueBearBoots said:
Are the teams failing because lads don't want to play anymore?

Ironically live footy on tv has much to answer for.

When we had all our teams live games were rare,.

Rascal said:
BlueBearBoots said:
Are the teams failing because lads don't want to play anymore?

Ironically live footy on tv has much to answer for.

When we had all our teams live games were rare,.

My grandson can't half kick a ball and he's only 2 and a half going to get him into a team asap! Hope he ends up loving it as much as me :)

Played from 18 to 40 years old, Sunday morning football was brilliant loved it Longdendale League for St Peter & Paul league doesn't exist anymore, Birch Villa New Inn, Newboro, Tame Valley and a few others in Hyde and District League,Most of pubs still open but don't think any of them still have a team, sad really.

Moved from Denton to Sheffield when I was quite young and when I left school played for a really good side and we won the league.

I didnt enjoy it as was all a bit serious so formed a team from my local pub,just mates,we would be in a club until 4ish then play at 10am pissed as farts.

Would be a bit hairy sometimes turning up to play against a team of fat hairy arsed steelworkers who had drunk 25 pints the night before I can tell you.

As someone said earlier local pubs drove this,such a shame its fading out now.

Due to my job I stopped playing at 25 but glad I did as fcuk knows what my knees would be like if I had played until my 30/40s.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.