Sunderland post match thread

Did I really see what I saw yesterday? Sunderland, Fat Sam's Sunderland, came to the Etihad and played four forwards and an open game? Bizarre, the most bizarre tactics I've seen considering who the manager was (remember that 1-1 against Blackburn when they had a free kick near our box in injury time and Pederson kicked it out for a throw in because they didn't want us counter-attaching them?).

Much more energy from us yesterday. de Bruyne and Silva were absolute class.
I said the same thing at the match, expected them to do the usual Sunderland defend like possessed men out of no where for 80 minutes then it's a toss up who wins 1-0 at the end; usually them. However within 5 minutes they had the ball in our half & with plenty of men forward looking to take the lead.

Obviously didn't turn out very well but I was appreciative all the same. Made for a great De Bruyne Silva Sterling show.

They kept getting Borini to stand about 5 yards offside initially. I guess the thinking was that Oto and Managala would forget about him and he could drift back onside.

It's the kind of thing a drunk would think of in the pub the night before the match and think it was genius. But that doesn't sound like Big Sam.

Did I really see what I saw yesterday? Sunderland, Fat Sam's Sunderland, came to the Etihad and played four forwards and an open game? Bizarre, the most bizarre tactics I've seen considering who the manager was (remember that 1-1 against Blackburn when they had a free kick near our box in injury time and Pederson kicked it out for a throw in because they didn't want us counter-attaching them?).

Much more energy from us yesterday. de Bruyne and Silva were absolute class.
We were talking in the car after the game about the side he put out. Why would you play Mannone, Johnson and Graham, who aren't regulars? Either he'd decided just to throw this game in order to concentrate on the ones where they're more likely to get something or he was putting those players in the shop window for January.

Wonder what happened to that great tactical master-plan he concocted last season to beat us at Upton Park?

This is what Sam said in the managers email:

Dear Xxxx,

I have to apologise to our fans who travelled today.

We all knew it was going to be difficult against Manchester City, but I did expect us to show a little bit more fight and determination.

Losing three goals in the space of nine minutes is something you cannot do; you can't afford to make the kind of mistakes we made.

Our play out of possession has to improve and that is where our problems lie at the moment.

We can look neat and tidy in possession, create a few chances, but when we lose the ball we are not defending correctly as a team at this moment in time. Too many teams are scoring against us.

It isn't a slow start, because the lads were doing okay. With the lapses in concentration and the way City scored it looks like a slow start, but it's individuals at that moment in time not doing their job correctly.

Younes Kaboul is out and we know the key strength of the side is down the middle. John O'Shea was limping at the end and that makes life more difficult.

If we lose John, Wes [Brown] has only just come back from a bit of an injury and of course he hasn't played that much.

The only way to go forward is to get clean sheets.

Sam is honest at least if not exactly tactically astute. The sixth paragraph about players not doing their job correctly was the thing that perhaps gives me most hope that he can give these 'individuals' the axe that is so overdue and deserved and put in the players, if any, that is actually any good and give them regular starts. He (Sam Allardyce) is just half the problem. The the other half is the players and certain ones who according to many up here, it seems, intent on waging a campaign of destabilization. They seem intent on destabilizing the club and dragging it down as far as they think we should go. But the days of us ever coming good and actually being the one to have the bragging rights over others for a change seem as distant as ever. It has been a long time since I was last able to metaphorically look an opposition fan in the face and say "We beat you because were the better ones and we are the better ones".

We were talking in the car after the game about the side he put out. Why would you play Mannone, Johnson and Graham, who aren't regulars? Either he'd decided just to throw this game in order to concentrate on the ones where they're more likely to get something or he was putting those players in the shop window for January.

Wonder what happened to that great tactical master-plan he concocted last season to beat us at Upton Park?

Compliments on the very necessary and very accurate reply to the Independent's unpleasant description of the transformation of our club.

extra few days for some, considering they have to play Wednesday/Saturday this week, and they have 2 home games (Pool & Villa)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.