Sunderland post match thread

After the kind of preseason that was forced on the club I was relieved by, and satisfied with the win. There were some very pleasing features. In particular our lads worked much harder and ran further than last season and this removed a long standing grievance. The tactical innovations were very positive and we were able to move forward as a unit, but, as yet, we can't move the ball anywhere near quickly enough to make Pep moderately satisfied and the lads will have to work hard on the training ground on this. Maybe as some of our lads get up to match sharpness this will improve and with some of our new lads coming in (notably Gundogan) this will improve anyway. It was this which meant we played in front of their back line too much and rarely brought Sergio into the game: the winner came from one of the few attacks when we got behind them.

So, ther will be more difficult tests than Sunderland but if we are up there after ten games I think the prospects for the rest of the season will be very bright indeed.
Yep. This. Good post.

Good result main thing was we got the win. Great character to come and get the winning goal late on. If we want to win the title this year we have to make sure our home record is top notch.

I thought the same mate (tactically)... It's been shoe horned a little as it was only little old Sunderland...

I saw nothing yesterday to dispel the notion that Pep is way ahead of the pack in terms of taking the game forward.

I adore possession football: I hate it when our opponents have the ball. I was also delighted though when Kolarov knew the best option was to clear the ball high and long forward.

Obviously possession has to have a purpose beyond keeping the ball away from the opposition but I do enjoy the weaving of pretty patterns as the team works its way into position for the next assault on the opposition's goal. The team does need to be creating more attempts on goal but I fear even if we top those charts, again, some are going to complain of boredom if we average 70% plus possession.

I saw nothing yesterday to dispel the notion that Pep is way ahead of the pack in terms of taking the game forward.

I adore possession football: I hate it when our opponents have the ball. I was also delighted though when Kolarov knew the best option was to clear the ball high and long forward.

Obviously possession has to have a purpose beyond keeping the ball away from the opposition but I do enjoy the weaving of pretty patterns as the team works its way into position for the next assault on the opposition's goal. The team does need to be creating more attempts on goal but I fear even if we top those charts, again, some are going to complain of boredom if we average 70% plus possession.[/QUOTE]

I'll take the 70% possession but to create sod all on the back of it is a poor show. Its early days but this must improve as Sunderland showed how easy it was for a while to make it all count for nothing until that late fluke. Not impressed but not going to make snap judgements either.

I didn't think we were that great yesterday bar the first 20 minutes. Still shuddering from the fact kolarov played CB at at times sagna and clichy tucked into centre midfielders!?! Against a better team yesterday we would have been beaten imo but we also obviously have some first team starters out injured at the minute and when they come back hopefully we can play people in their right positions

Interesting take by the whole press corps that we were lucky to win when in fact Sunderland got away with it somewhat.

Obviously possession has to have a purpose beyond keeping the ball away from the opposition but I do enjoy the weaving of pretty patterns as the team works its way into position for the next assault on the opposition's goal. The team does need to be creating more attempts on goal but I fear even if we top those charts, again, some are going to complain of boredom if we average 70% plus possession.

It was certainly an innovative set up, and a complete departure from some of the ill-judged team selections and formations we saw last season under Pellers, and if the performances of Stones and Kolarov were anything to go by then Pep's certainly got superb instincts. Sane and Gundogan should also benefit the team immensely. I won't join the wankathon just yet though. We had 81% possession yesterday, yet created the sum total of fuck all against one of the 3 worst teams in the division. We're going to faced parked buses every week from here on in and I'm not convinced the diddyman attacking quintet will find it easy to break down such barriers or that we won't be exposed repeatedly on the counterattack against sides with better, quicker midfield players than O'Shea, Watmore and Rodwell.
I was pleased to see Sterling look far more the part than at any time under Pellegrini, and Stones was so cool I'm not sure we'll see much of Kompany even if/when he does get fit. Not convinced - on admittedly scant evidence - that Nolito offers a great deal or that we'll get the most out of KDB if blanket defences are to be the order of the day, but Spanish Dave seemed to enjoy the additional space. Looks like an interesting season ahead then, but not one anyone with a dicky ticker might relish!

It was certainly an innovative set up, and a complete departure from some of the ill-judged team selections and formations we saw last season under Pellers, and if the performances of Stones and Kolarov were anything to go by then Pep's certainly got superb instincts. Sane and Gundogan should also benefit the team immensely. I won't join the wankathon just yet though. We had 81% possession yesterday, yet created the sum total of fuck all against one of the 3 worst teams in the division. We're going to faced parked buses every week from here on in and I'm not convinced the diddyman attacking quintet will find it easy to break down such barriers or that we won't be exposed repeatedly on the counterattack against sides with better, quicker midfield players than O'Shea, Watmore and Rodwell.
I was pleased to see Sterling look far more the part than at any time under Pellegrini, and Stones was so cool I'm not sure we'll see much of Kompany even if/when he does get fit. Not convinced - on admittedly scant evidence - that Nolito offers a great deal or that we'll get the most out of KDB if blanket defences are to be the order of the day, but Spanish Dave seemed to enjoy the additional space. Looks like an interesting season ahead then, but not one anyone with a dicky ticker might relish!
Agree about our attack,Aguero was well off the pace,either he is unfit or he hasn't yet taken on board what is expected.I think a fit Kompany easily regains his place,alongside Stones i dont see a better partnership.Sane and Gundogan will be definite upgrades on Noilto and Silva imo.

Add the new keeper to the mix and i cant wait till we're in full flow.

I think we need to be careful that we don't judge our performance on completely false assumptions. The common belief appears to be that Sunderland are one of the poorest three teams in the division. They may be over a season, or they may not be, but yesterday they defended deep and in numbers and certainly don't look any worse than three of the teams I've watched on the tele today. They were one of the form teams of the division for the last six or so games of last season, admittedly with a different manager. We may have beaten a team which is not just simple relegation fodder.

The second point concerns the belief that "good" teams would beat us because the two full backs play as virtual CMs and this leaves us wide open down the flanks. I think this is nonsense. Firstly, our two wide men - Stirling and Nolito yesterday - are to drop back and this gives us four, but actually five, in midfield meaning we go forward in numbers and with support. Sterling is exceptionally quick and Sané apparently devastatingly so, which makes going back (or forwards!) potentially much more effective. When we have the ball other teams will have to drop back or risk exposure to the pace of Aguero and the two named above. KdB is hardly slow. With five in midfield our press can be quicker and higher if we lose the ball. Guess what - Guardiola is not stupid!

Clearly, yesterday we did not see the fully matured version of how Guardiola wants City to play - and I'll wager he has a good few pleasant surprises for us - but at least we did see some green shoots of new growth. In particular there was no collective huddle of resignation when the equaliser went in. I have to be optimistic that we'll be much better in two and three months than we were yesterday.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.