Surreal Moments at City Games

Fancy dress is a tradition for last match / last away amongst a few clubs. Hartlepool were well organised with smurfs, clowns, mine artists etc.

Can't remember which game it was, but there was a Fox at the back of the Colin Bell Stand. Poor thing was really scared, wasn't helped when we scored again.

Can't remember which game it was, but there was a Fox at the back of the Colin Bell Stand. Poor thing was really scared, wasn't helped when we scored again.
Ruel ?

Oxford away during the miners strike. Think we lost 3-0.
Came out of the away end onto a very narrow passage leading to the coaches.

The other side of the narrow passageway was the grounds of a hospital separated by a wire fence.
The local plod lined up the other side of the fence in full riot gear, truncheon raised in one hand and shield in the other.
City fans piling out from the terrace simply stood there laughing at them.
What the fuck were they expecting?

The other side of the narrow passageway was the grounds of a hospital separated by a wire fence.
The local plod lined up the other side of the fence in full riot gear, truncheon raised in one hand and shield in the other.
I was a the game. Wagged school for the day out. We won 5-2 I think.

There's a bit of doom and gloom around the world at the moment so let's try and lighten things here (for a few moments at least). I saw the thread about the Chicken Man (see: https://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/an-audience-with-the-frozen-chicken-man.322795/ ) and it got me thinking about other surreal moments at City. I'm thinking about odd things that have happened which have lightened the mood or been a bit of a distraction from negativity. Obviously, there's the banana craze and fancy dress games but what about other moments that maybe some of us remember and others think 'surely that didn't happen?'

I'll start with one: Norman Wisdom on the pitch in full City kit plus flat cap (and yes, those of us on the Kippax did genuinely think it was Peter Reid wearing a flat cap for some reason when he first came out!). Norman was promoting a golf competition and he basically larked around on the pitch for a bit. He took a penalty and of course fell over.

20 years ago when I was writing Farewell To Maine Road an elderly fan told me about a character she called Hoppy. The nickname is not very PC BUT the story is that 'Hoppy' had one leg and before many home games in the inter-war period he used to hop around the pitch. He'd do a full lap of the pitch and be cheered all the way around it. She thought that he'd lost his leg in WW1 and thinks he may have been doing it to raise money for a charity, but apart from her memory I've never managed to find any other evidence of Hoppy.

So, go on, what other surreal or odd moments can we think of?
IMG_3386.jpeg

Yeah, had forgotten about that. There had been a few Blues on the pitch during the game, and some stuff thrown on the pitch.

A bit like PSG when we drew 2-2 about eight years ago. It was a few months after the Bataclan attacks and the riot police were tooled up and ready for trouble. They looked like they were expecting old style English hooligans but instead got two thousand good-natured drunks.

Not going through 19 pages so may have been said.

Niall Quinn saving a penalty from Dean ‘I can drink and drive and still get a gig at Talksport with all the other drink drivers’ Saunders.

It was a Saturday!
So it was, I must have had Fri off to empty my bank acc on 'The Height' The ground was in Headington way out of Oxford. Taxi to ground and back to the station. Won 5-2 with goals from Law x 2 Summerbee x 2 and 1 from Marsh. Was it you and that mob scrapping in their end?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.