Sven Goran Eriksson | Passes away from cancer aged 76 (p 32)

What a classy, dignified, lovely thing to say. No wonder so many of us loved him.

Heard today that when England were abroad somewhere Gerard was up early and on a lounger by the pool. Sven rocks up and sits next to him and a waiter brings a tray with a bottle of champagne and two glasses on it. Sven pours and Gerard said

"what are we celebrating boss?"

Sven took a sip and said

" Life Stephan .... today we celebrate life"

Sven was my kinda guy - always glass half full never half empty - his parting message said that - not maudlin not full of self pity just positivity to the end.

Sad to hear this.

I met him once and had a chat, he was such a nice man.

R I P Sven.

Last edited:
RIP Sven, we beat the other lot in Manchester twice under your guidance that season , which gave me and all the City fans so much pleasure, Thank you

Had the privilege of meeting Sven once a few years after he’d been our manager.
Reminisced about his time at City and he had no bitterness at all about how it ended.
I was with my then 8 yr old daughter and he made a point of bending brown to her level to chat with her too.
He was utterly charming. A proper gentleman.
RIP Sven, the football world will be a poorer place now you’re gone.

Really sad news, albeit expected. He came over as a lovely man and the ultimate bon vivant. I still wonder what might have happened if he hadn't fallen out with Thaksin and been in place for the Sheikh's takeover a few months later.

And he'll always be remembered for 6 points v the rags, for the first time in many years.

Heard today that when England were abroad somewhere Gerard was up early and on a lounger by the pool. Sven rocks up and sits next to him and a waiter brings a tray with a bottle of champagne and two glasses on it. Sven pours and Gerard said

"what are we celebrating boss?"

Sven took a sip and said

" Life Stephan .... today we celebrate life"

Sven was my kinda guy - always glass half full never half empty - his parting message said that - not maudlin not full of self pity just positivity to the end.

It was actually Hamman who told the story but it must have been about Gerard - unless Hamman was a secret Englishman .......... why would he have been away with England ha ha ha

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.