Sven interview on his time at City

Prestwich_Blue said:
mammutly said:
It amazes me that some people still blame Sven for the 8-1 at boro. The real surprise is that he held the team together until then with all the shit that was going on behind the scenes.

Not wanting to revive what is thankfully now an old debate, but anyone who has any real idea of what was happening at City in those days knows that the manager, the board and the players were working under ridiculous conditions.
Talking about this with Bernard Halford the other night. He didn't tell me this but I know that there was a meeting late on in the season involving Thaksin and his aide, Sven, Mackintosh and a couple of others.

Thaksin started off saying to Sven "Why did we finish below Aston Villa. We should be above them." Sven replied quite calmly that they'd spent more but, more importantly, O'Neill had a season longer to work with them and this was important.

Thaksin didn't accept this and shouted that for all the money we'd spent (i.e. borrowed) that we should be finishing above teams like Villa. Mackintosh then talked about their spending compared to ours but Thaksin didn't want to hear that and went off on one, picking up and throwing a vase in the general direction of Sven. This was our owner.

Bernard was fairly diplomatic about the 29 managers he'd worked with but it was clear Sven was one of his favourites and he made a big impression on everyone at the club. Wish he'd stayed with us (no disrespect intended to Hughes or Mancini).
I find that distressing to read, how Thaksin could treat a manager of such experience and one who the fans had taken to with such disrespect.

Svens season was my favouritw of the 23 years watching city
After the awful season before and as a blue i had become dissolutioned in going to the match Sven brought excitment back to the club he made me feel proud to be a city fan again he was an absolute gent.
The first half of the season was some of the best football I have seen from city
The second half of the season was some of the most memorable as a fan.
I was just a little too young for the Swailes out capaigns of the early 90s I was at the protest's and had a the home shirt with 9 lee on the back but really I didnt know what was going on
The SAVE OUR SVEN campaign I was more involved in From Liverpool away being filmed outside ground by sky singing 'we dont need no phil scolari song' to being at the 8-1 match with my banana and the save our sven poster stuck to it and be part of one the moat sureal away ends ever to the march round the stadium and my dog with a city scarf getting on telly all this was because of Sven and because of Sven he made me love going to the match again and made realise why I chose city as a kid when my brother and mates were reds and for that Sven will always make me smile and grateful for the 10 months he was our boss.
Thanks Sven but please can you have another 8-1 defeat for your team for old times sake on sunday

noely said:
Svens season was my favouritw of the 23 years watching city
I'm a bit older than you but that was a great season. I was living in London and went to West Ham for the first game, not knowing what to expect with so many new players in the team. It was a great day and a fantastic performance. No one could believe what they'd seen.

I enjoyed Sven's team until that thumping from Boro. It was a disgrace. Not surprised at Frank's lack of football understanding. A shrewd businessman he was, an excellent politician he is, A football hardcore he was not. Mind you that he was at that time, and still is on the run today. He could have A LOT on his mind then. Sven can't be that much high on his priority list.

Sven was a legend - such a nice bloke! "We were unlackeeee"

As far as Dr. T goes - I always thought he was a funny bastard, but my opinion of him changed recently when someone ITK said that he is the only person he would wish death upon!

Have I ever said before that Thaksin was a **** and the very worst person to ever be involved with this club, by a country mile?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.