Sven

r.soleofsalford said:
remoh said:
He bought the best players that he could, given the lack of time. (and then, in january, the lack of money.)

Have you forgotten already how his cobbled-together team took the league by storm in the first half-season. That, and our eventual position, were a credit to him, under the circumstances.

How soon we forget!

its just the usual arrogance

Who's arrogant? I thought he was a poor manager of England and likewise of City. He spent £50 million + in his season here and we looked shocking for the last 2/3rds of the season he was in charge. We just had a flukey good start, was great for a few weeks then not so great from then on. Also the prices weren't so high for his season compared to how they are at the moment.

Don't forget Hull last season, or Reading when they punched above their weight. Any team can have a galloping start it's your form as the season pans out which shows the real team. This is why Villa eventually ended up 6th last season and Hull finished fighting for their lives. They just weren't good enough. Neither were City under Sven. We are now though and we were for the second half of last season once Hughes had addressed some of the problems.

Sven is an OK manager but no good if you have ambitions of achieving any more than mediocre. His teams always seem to shine brightly for brief periods and then die like ducks.

My impression of Sven was always that he has fantastic contacts and respect form Other clubs and Managers, But i always felt players could walk over him, His training wasn't hard enough [Which is why i think we became very unfit in the later half of the season] If we were tonked you just couldnt imagine him bollocking the players, which never comforted me when we were down at half time. Then his subsitutions didnt exactly set the games alight.

I Wouldn't swap him for Hughes.

This is clearly a ridiculous thread. But how anyone can say Sven is a poor manager having twice reached the Champions League (European Cup) final with different teams, winning it once, and various league titles to his name. Compared to Hughes, who has won fuck all.

Hughes may end up being a great manager - I hope he will prove so. But Sven has nothing to prove.

I "couldnt imagine <Bobby Robson> bollocking the players" either, but that doesn't mean he was a bad manager.

Chippy_boy said:
This is clearly a ridiculous thread. But how anyone can say Sven is a poor manager having twice reached the Champions League (European Cup) final with different teams, winning it once, and various league titles to his name. Compared to Hughes, who has won fuck all.

Hughes may end up being a great manager - I hope he will prove so. But Sven has nothing to prove.

I "couldnt imagine <Bobby Robson> bollocking the players" either, but that doesn't mean he was a bad manager.

Robson had a fearsome reputation with his players back in the day. Public appearances can certainly be deceptive.

I agree that Sven was a fantastic manager, but I think the all-out determination and desire to be the best, that hunger, had left him in recent years. Whereas I feel that, as a club, we really need a manager who will leave no stone unturned and has a desperate hunger to succeed. Whether that is Hughes or not, we'll see, but it certainly wasn't the Sven of recent years.

Chippy_boy said:

That's absolutely true.Sven's the 5th most decorated manager in the history of football.
And to underestimate that "galloping start" that lasted for 10 home games with players like Petrov,Geovanni and Elano after we'd just watched the most horrendous record-setting anti-football shite the season before is ridiculous.

I defy any manager to do what Sven did and attract the calibre of player he did to our club in four weeks.
Fuck what happened later in the season,the guy worked a minor miracle to take a club ON IT'S FUCKING ARSE THE SEASON BEFORE into the top four.....make no mistake,without Sven and Frank this club we love would've been looking at almost certain relegation.

We wouldn't be where we are now without him-show some class ffs.

PoolHustler said:
remoh said:
He bought the best players that he could, given the lack of time. (and then, in january, the lack of money.)

Have you forgotten already how his cobbled-together team took the league by storm in the first half-season. That, and our eventual position, were a credit to him, under the circumstances.

How soon we forget!

I disagree mate, we played maybe 4/5 good games under Sven and the rest was like watching paint dry.
Let's face it even if he had the money we still would've been shit to watch, after all look at the kind of football he played with England's so called golden age!
He's not for me mate, I like to be entertained, I'm glad we got rid.
sven > hughes.

he finnished higher up the table with a much worse squad, he kept everyone happy and we got into uefa with him (fair play but it still counts, we didnt get in this year because hughes is a 'get your foot in' type manager.

the players loved him, when we lost 8-1 to borough the reason was obviously that the players were upset at thick-shit shittawatra sacking sven.

anyway, when you say that we played 4/5 good games under sven, a) well we obviously did better that season because 9th > 10th and b) you could say the same about hughes, a couple of big wins at the start of the season, then we struggled against everyone.

and we did the double over a stronger united team with sven.

i actually cant belive that some supposed 'city fans' are slagging him off after what he did for us.

im not saying that i hate hughes or want him out, im just saying that sven is a better manager from what ive seen.

and i dont agree with people saying he would sign shit players, just look at the players he signed for us when he took over with not much time of the transfer window left, plus, sven would have had a bigger appeal than hughes to players coming in, and we wouldve have a bigger chance at getting them because of that.

and sven was the one that developed joe hart into a keeper that could play for most teams around the world, whilst, at the same time, keeping schmeichel happy.

keemcfc said:
PoolHustler said:
I disagree mate, we played maybe 4/5 good games under Sven and the rest was like watching paint dry.
Let's face it even if he had the money we still would've been shit to watch, after all look at the kind of football he played with England's so called golden age!
He's not for me mate, I like to be entertained, I'm glad we got rid.
sven > hughes.

he finnished higher up the table with a much worse squad, he kept everyone happy and we got into uefa with him (fair play but it still counts, we didnt get in this year because hughes is a 'get your foot in' type manager.

the players loved him, when we lost 8-1 to borough the reason was obviously that the players were upset at thick-shit shittawatra sacking sven.

anyway, when you say that we played 4/5 good games under sven, a) well we obviously did better that season because 9th > 10th and b) you could say the same about hughes, a couple of big wins at the start of the season, then we struggled against everyone.

and we did the double over a stronger united team with sven.

i actually cant belive that some supposed 'city fans' are slagging him off after what he did for us.

im not saying that i hate hughes or want him out, im just saying that sven is a better manager from what ive seen.

and i dont agree with people saying he would sign shit players, just look at the players he signed for us when he took over with not much time of the transfer window left, plus, sven would have had a bigger appeal than hughes to players coming in, and we wouldve have a bigger chance at getting them because of that.

and sven was the one that developed joe hart into a keeper that could play for most teams around the world, whilst, at the same time, keeping schmeichel happy.

THIS.

Hughes, will, of course, beat Sven's 9th place finish this season, but it will have taken 200m to do it. Sven had us in the top 4 for the first half of the season with a team he threw together in a month. After that, the lack of squad depth and Thaksin sacking him took its toll. Hughes has got a very long way to go before he can match Sven's managerial achievements.

crystal_mais said:
Sven was an OK manager. He got the golden generation at the right time. He was good with his team, but sometimes was not somebody who could control his players. I felt he lacked technically. He isn't somebody who develops teams.
He spent alot of money to achieve success at the sides he previously managed, but never invested in the future, hence the clubs are slightly stuggling now..
Hughes know what is needed for the PL, Sven having watch the PL for all the years he was manager of England, still struggled once the team was found out.
Not entirely true. He won the UEFA Cup with a bankrupt Swedish amateur team in 1982. He was then twelve years younger than "the best young British manager" is now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.