Tactical analysis & discussion season 2022-23

Need to play with someone in the 10 role behind Haaland to slip him in at a closer range rather than from a distance.

On players that are fit

Gk- Ederson

Rb- Lewis (inverted, helps with build in central areas double pivot next to Rodri)

RCB- Dias (No need to get too involved attacking wise just find the RW or Lewis, Stones probably best at this role. Main role is defend right channel from counters)

LCB- Laporte (Key in the build up, stays central and dictates wether we go left or right, looks to release over opposition back line on occasion, like a quarterback in NFL in many way)

LB- Ake (There to support the LW, occasional overlap but infrequently, defends left channel from counters)

DM- Rodri (Floats and looks to receive off the LB and LCB to start attacks on the left a diagonal to the RW)

RCM- KDB (Pushes up to get closer to Haaland, looks to either feed him through or supports the RW)

LCM- Foden (Really want to see him and Grealish linking up, overlap like a full back when the LW cuts in or dart into the box to score)

RW- Mahrez (High and hug the touchline, take on the full back as often as possible or look for the RCM overlap for a cross.

LW- Grealish (Constantly interchange positioning with LCM either going inside to create space for the LCM or LB to overlap or going to the byline)

ST- Haaland (Stretch the channels, get in behind them and make them work, don’t come towards the ball and limit the space for the CMs to work in.)

Simple as that

I think there's now a case for giving Ortega a run in the side. Also, what's the obsession with inverted FBs? It leaves us so vulnerable when we lose the ball, there will always be an easy option for the opposition down that channel. Needs binning completely and go back to a proper back four who all know their jobs.

It absolutely boils my blood when we have a line of attackers high up the pitch and defenders coming out on the ball trying to find a pass and nothing in central midfield…. I have no idea what it’s supposed to achieve and all it does is render Haaland, Grealish and Mahrez isolated out of the game… if someone understands why we do this, please
Explain
like I explained our 8s are playing high up like 10s and hence we are getting outnumbered. even if they come down the opponent follow them and leaving the wingers alone because they are not afraid of our winger getting behind as we lack pace. quite literally they don't have to worry about our wide areas causing them trouble.

I am not sure what Pep is watching this season.

I am sure he watches all our games back on Television afterwards and sees what we all see.

Our passing just for the sake of passing is absolutely killing us.This is what we are doing regardless of which system we play these days.Everybody is doing it,players passing to each other then back towards Goal.And start again

We work a good opening to opponents Box,we mostly stop dead,pass,pass,pass, across the edge of the Box to the side to the back.Creating nothing

The players are like Robots,their first instinct is to keep possession at all costs,and pass the Ball.They lose the Ball they grimace.

I think it part of the reason no one dares with through Balls to Haaland.

We literally only have KDB/Gundogan who are capable of a defense splitting long Pass.And both were benched today in an important game.3 Team Captains sat on the Bench in Dias,KDB,Gundogan.

Pep has watched this all season with us.

I think the players have had enough of him and his crazy tactics.

And if i am being honest i can not be watching much more of this dull insipid shit.It is not "Tiki Taka" it is franken Football.11 players confused with what they are being asked to do by a megalomaniac seemingly on a power trip week in,week out..

We should have started our best 11 today,in our best system.

Instead he benches all the best players and makes it all about him.He is obviously sending message etc.

What about the Greater good of the Team,The Club and our Title challenge.

He is not above criticizem. He has a face like a slapped arse,has started popping off at the fans again.And allegedly he is unraveling on players in the dressing room.
He doesn't seem to have a goid no 2. We also have a shit recruitment team. All in all its on Pep anfd ge is goosed. I think this is a subliminal message to the board..perhaps a sub conscious get me out of here..Bayern style

When you think about it we must be that far ahead of anybody that we are having a nightmare season we’re most players are off the boil and the manager is struggling but it’s taking an unprecedented arsenal attack which will probably burn them out and a major man Utd challenge and we are still up there . Look what we have done to Liverpool.

The tactics are now predictable, I'd like grealish in the inside left position with foden outside him, dynamic and interchangeable. I'd like Bernie wide right with keV inside him, he edges Mahrez because he can contribute more in passing and movement. Pep has to recognise when Rodri needs a rest, he looked tired yesterday including their goal, if that means kalvin or gundo stepping in then fine, can't have one of the defenders in their, they don't have the speed of thought or feet to play midfield and that includes stones, we tried that and he looked lost

Time to go back to the drawing board because

(a) It isn’t working
(b) It is completely isolating Haaland
(c) It is fucking boring

Admittedly, a tactical overhaul will require some sort of ceasefire between Pep and the various players who are allegedly on the naughty step.

I think while attack has been bit off , the reason we are in this position is for stupid mistakes at the back . 1 point against Liverpool , 2 against United , 2 today have made huge difference . In past when we have not been our fluent best to score , we had found ways to grind opposition down and score winner at 60 th -70 th minute but have been strong at back. These recent mistake are costing us mentally as a team. The focus should be on being perfect defensively and grinding out results till we get back to our attacking best .

I genuinely think 5 mad minutes away to Madrid has had a ridiculous effect on Pep. Everything is about slowing play down, trying to avoid being caught on transitions and building incredibly carefully. Instead of preventing counter attacks it’s encouraging them as we’re effectively 3 at the back so we often end up 3 on 3. More than that one error can effectively cost us the game, think Stones against Everton, the ref against united or Rodri today.

Worse than the effect on our defence is we’ve stripped out so much of what made us dangerous, we had lightening passes and clever movement. Instead it’s slow and hoping for overloads. We’re far too easy to play against. We have a monster number 9 but we rarely feed him. Neville had one thing right today, if we tried to play Haaland in more often it would change how team’s defend against us. It would definitely create space elsewhere.

I can’t see us really challenging arsenal as we simply don’t have any clear pattern of play, we don’t look anyway solid at the back and we look too predictable in attack. It’s very hard to see us out a sustained run together. I think we’re looking at a repeat of 2016/17, no trophy and in need of big investment and restructuring.
Spot on, i thought those 5 mins would have far reaching repercussions. I also think he is sending a message to our shit recruitment team by having a pop at Phillips. He has been used as his scapegoat for his concerns over lack of quality in backroom team i suspect

I think we don’t have the personnel at the minute

It’s the most competitive league in the world with teams spending hundreds of millions to get to the top of. Granted we are one of those who have spent big, but I looked at our defence today and you have no divine right to win a tough away game with Ake, Akanji and Lewis starting. All good players in their own right on any given day, but you get what I’m saying. They aren’t invincible

You will find it hard to continue to progress in this league when your transfer activity in a year sees you make record profits, also.

We’re slow and laboured, sold two of our three fastest players in the summer in Sterling and Jesus.

We’ve got rid of two left backs in the last 6 months and not adequately replaced either. Again, when you do this you can’t expect to continue to hit 90+ points and win titles.

I’m writing off the league and CL this season tbh, I don’t think we’ll get near either. A small consolation will be if we finish ahead of the scum this year.
Will enjoy the remainder of the season hopefully and hope to see some improvement in our style of player ahead of a vital summer for the club
I agree with you to an extent but Pep had two better players on the bench yesterday that could’ve played cb and Ake at LB. He made the decision and keeps picking Akanji ahead of everyone it’s bizarre now.

That said I prefer us being written off a bit and maybe the season will throw up some surprises yet.

If nothing else though I’d love to see us play with fullbacks again not this ridiculous system which leaves us exposed and overcrowds the midfield.

Spot on, i thought those 5 mins would have far reaching repercussions. I also think he is sending a message to our shit recruitment team by having a pop at Phillips. He has been used as his scapegoat for his concerns over lack of quality in backroom team i suspect
Do you honestly believe that Phillips at £50m is being used to make a point? Crazy talk.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.