Taiwan.

No, I disagree. Taiwan elected this current government primarily because of its anti reunification stance.
Edit: But back to why this thread started. Couldn't Pelosi just have held back instead of visiting. One thing is for certain, if an invasion happens she won't be the one getting killed.
Pelosi has behaved recklessly I think. She has challenged Chinese authority.
Pelosi could have visited Taiwan and met with whoever she needed to, without resort to using the means of entry that she did.

Hong Kong was leased by the British from China for 150 years directly as a result of the Opium wars. Bit shit that we didn't introduce a democratic system for administration until it was nearly time to hand back.

The Chinese nationalists KMT were ousted by Zedong's Communists after the civil war of 1949 and fled to Taiwan. The island of Taiwan and been inhabited cy the Chinese for at least hundreds of years, probably longer, it's only 100 miles off the mainland. I think right up until the 70s the international community recognised the Nationalists government as be the "true" government of China, hence why for decades they didn't compete at the Olympics.

Like I say that changed in the 70s and Peking was acknowledged. Particularly since the 80s Taiwan has become much more democratic and the influence of the KMT who favour reunification has waned. In the last decade Taiwan has become much more independently minded. At the same time they've invested over £1.5 billion in the mainland.

Pelosi who's due to retire soon has provoked this crisis. Both the Chinese and Taiwanese were happy to have a rather nebulous, deliberately ambiguous relationship, with the understanding that the "rebel province" would eventually rejoin. Find it very strange that people seem to be talking a new "domino" theory with Taiwan being the lynchpin. China is flexing it's considerable muscles, as it sees the west as both weak and provocative. Hopefully by Sunday once their exercise has finished, both parties can settle down again.

Pelosi has behaved recklessly I think. She has challenged Chinese authority.
Pelosi could have visited Taiwan and met with whoever she needed to, without resort to using the means of entry that she did.
Agreed, she and the yanks are well over the line with this one, China say no, so what do the yanks do .....land a plane plastered with united States of America right in front of the world's press

Wonder if the US has salvaged their F35 that went down in the South China Sea, right next to China's territorial waters!

Edit see it was salvaged in March, but have they left any technological crumbs for the Chinese.

Just to amplify my point about Taiwan not being another domino, for the Chinese why provoke World War III by seizing eg Taiwan or South Korea or the Philippines for their natural resources?!?!

They don't need to do this as they have huge influence all over Africa and very lucrative contracts for minerals to power their way through the century. The 19th century belonged to the British, the 20th to the US, I fear the 21st belongs to the Chinese. The only consolation is it als belongs to City!

Yes it was dumb but I can't help feeling the Chinese are being a bit thin skinned over this.
The US is like Britain before it, in decline. It's how these things work.
China doesn't need to show it's power. Everybody knows where the balance of power is moving. Let's just get there without the drama of WW3.

Hong Kong was leased by the British from China for 150 years directly as a result of the Opium wars. Bit shit that we didn't introduce a democratic system for administration until it was nearly time to hand back.

The Chinese nationalists KMT were ousted by Zedong's Communists after the civil war of 1949 and fled to Taiwan. The island of Taiwan and been inhabited cy the Chinese for at least hundreds of years, probably longer, it's only 100 miles off the mainland. I think right up until the 70s the international community recognised the Nationalists government as be the "true" government of China, hence why for decades they didn't compete at the Olympics.

Like I say that changed in the 70s and Peking was acknowledged. Particularly since the 80s Taiwan has become much more democratic and the influence of the KMT who favour reunification has waned. In the last decade Taiwan has become much more independently minded. At the same time they've invested over £1.5 billion in the mainland.

Pelosi who's due to retire soon has provoked this crisis. Both the Chinese and Taiwanese were happy to have a rather nebulous, deliberately ambiguous relationship, with the understanding that the "rebel province" would eventually rejoin. Find it very strange that people seem to be talking a new "domino" theory with Taiwan being the lynchpin. China is flexing it's considerable muscles, as it sees the west as both weak and provocative. Hopefully by Sunday once their exercise has finished, both parties can settle down again.
Slight correction. The lease for Hong Kong was 99 years.

I think the Chinese government are a bunch of horrible cunts but Pelosi has needlessly overstepped her brief here. The world is unstable as it is, we don’t need her rocking the boat on the other side of the planet for the sake of it.
Well summed up.

I think the Chinese government are a bunch of horrible cunts but Pelosi has needlessly overstepped her brief here. The world is unstable as it is, we don’t need her rocking the boat on the other side of the planet for the sake of it.
Agree ^
She's always had a beef with China, like her Tiananmen square protest years ago. I mean yeah, they're cunts but she's deliberately antagonizing them without presidential approval.

Agree ^
She's always had a beef with China, like her Tiananmen square protest years ago. I mean yeah, they're cunts but she's deliberately antagonizing them without presidential approval.
I had a quick Google of her and I agree with her politics and stance on most things. She actually seems genuinely principled and prepared to stand for what she believes - opposing Iraq invasion in post 19/11 USA took some balls I'd have thought. She does seem to pour petrol on the fire and antagonise though. Her post trump witch hunt for example - while just, was probably not what a deeply divided nation needed just at that moment, and this visit seems similarly lacking in emotional intelligence to say the least.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.