Talksport now (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
FIFA would let you wear a suit of shit as long as you could get the sponsors logo on it.

France wore skin tight tops around 2009/2010, don't know if they helped with jersey pulling, but they definitely made it harder for the refs to see handballs and offsides.

Pigeonho said:
stony said:
without a dream said:
I am surprised no-one has gone for a skin tight top would make defenders grabbing your shirt much more difficult, international teams have done it in Rugby for years. I would imagine it would reduce merchandise sales a bit though!

Commercial suicide. The vast majority of replica shirts are worn by men with beer bellies and big tits. They'd look like proper cunts in a skin tight top and would stick to wearing their old shirts.
Think the Spurs Kappa kits, circs 08/09

I thought I remembered Spurs going down this route but then I thought I must have dreamt it. I bet they didn't sell many shirts that season.

SPIDERBOY said:
SPIDERBOY said:
Pigeonho said:
It was an all in one kit, not a full suit like Pearce is suggesting, it was a like a half-onsie!

Maybe it's the one your on about,but also had no sleeves,I thought it was just a vest,but it was deffo Cameroon and it was a World Cup.

I just had a look for the one you mean,it's fuckin horrible....the vest I'm on about was banned at the japan World Cup,because no sleeves meant the fifa logo couldn't be on the arm.
Yeah it was fucked up mate.
Christ, was that the 02 world cup then? Fuck me that's flown by!

stony said:
Pigeonho said:
stony said:
Commercial suicide. The vast majority of replica shirts are worn by men with beer bellies and big tits. They'd look like proper cunts in a skin tight top and would stick to wearing their old shirts.
Think the Spurs Kappa kits, circs 08/09

I thought I remembered Spurs going down this route but then I thought I must have dreamt it. I bet they didn't sell many shirts that season.

1zxax46.png

Pigeonho said:
SPIDERBOY said:
SPIDERBOY said:
Maybe it's the one your on about,but also had no sleeves,I thought it was just a vest,but it was deffo Cameroon and it was a World Cup.

I just had a look for the one you mean,it's fuckin horrible....the vest I'm on about was banned at the japan World Cup,because no sleeves meant the fifa logo couldn't be on the arm.

Yes mate,they wore it for their first group game and fifa went ballistic,threatened to disqualify them....they only brought vests with them,ended up having to sew black cloth on them to make sleeves to accommodate the logo,and yes flew by.

SPIDERBOY said:
Pigeonho said:
SPIDERBOY said:

Yes mate,they wore it for their first group game and fifa went ballistic,threatened to disqualify them....they only brought vests with them,ended up having to sew black cloth on them to make sleeves to accommodate the logo,and yes flew by.
Sorry to be pedantic, but that's not quite how it happened. They wore them in the African Cup of Nations and FIFA told them several months before the World Cup that they wouldn't be allowed. Despite being given that much notice, you're right about how Puma rectified the problem.

The one when FIFA went ballistic was the skintight onesie. They wore it in the first group game of the African Cup of Nations and FIFA told them they'd have to wear a proper kit for the knockout stages. They ignored them and continued with the onesie anyway, and were docked 6 points from their next World Cup qualifying group as punishment.

Dubai Blue said:
SPIDERBOY said:
Pigeonho said:

Sorry to be pedantic, but that's not quite how it happened. They wore them in the African Cup of Nations and FIFA told them several months before the World Cup that they wouldn't be allowed. Despite being given that much notice, you're right about how Puma rectified the problem.

The one when FIFA went ballistic was the skintight onesie. They wore it in the first group game of the African Cup of Nations and FIFA told them they'd have to wear a proper kit for the knockout stages. They ignored them and continued with the onesie anyway, and were docked 6 points from their next World Cup qualifying group as punishment.

I just got it from here mate.

CAMEROON, ADIDAS, 2002 / 2004 – VESTS AND ONE PIECES

The turn of the 21st Century marked a mini golden age for Cameroonian football. Having won the Africa Cup of Nations in 2000, the Indomitable Lions claimed Olympic gold in that year’s summer games, and went on to win another ACN two years later.

Despite becoming the second team in history to defend an ACN title, the 2002 side is more often remembered for massively flustering FIFA by turning up to the World Cup in sleeveless shirts.

Cameroon, Puma, 2002

During that year’s ACN, the Confederation of African Football had seen nothing wrong with the shirt design. Patrick “Magic” M’Boma’s bare shoulders were on display as he tore through stadia across Mali, teaching a young Sam Eto’o a thing or two on the way to becoming tournament top scorer.

In South Korea and Japan, however, kit sponsor Puma’s exotic experiment did not go down well. Appalled that its logo was not on display on the arms of the Cameroonians, FIFA demanded new kits on pain of disqualification.

Black sleeves were sewn on to the shirts like tiny shrouds of mourning, and Cameroon crashed out at the group stage.

Incredibly, the best was yet to come. As if to goad FIFA, Puma had the Lions turn up to the 2004 ACN wearing…shirt-short one-pieces. Sleeves were present, yet shirts continued unbroken into shorts. Puma’s design was also unreasonably tight; nipples and six packs protruded more so than in the Burton/Schumacher Batsuit.

They've embellished it slightly; Cameroon were told well in advance that they couldn't wear the vests at the World Cup. Close enough though.

2002: <a class="postlink" href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/1862872.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 862872.stm</a>
2004: <a class="postlink" href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/3640851.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 640851.stm</a>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.