Talksport now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pigeonho said:
moomba said:
I don't get the attitude that it's ok for the media to print and say anything about us as we can simply not read or listen to it.

I'm sure the club doesn't have that attitude, and neither should we as supporters. There have been plenty of crap spoken about the club, and repeated almost to the extent it's treated as fact.

That damages the club and we should be able to discuss that on here without the snide digs and the anti-agenda police telling us that we should just change the channel.

FWIW I haven't listened to Talksport today and didn't hear the call being referred to.
There's plenty of crap spoken/printed about every club.
Also, how does it 'damage' the club? Whatever it is Irani did or didn't do this morning, how has it damaged the club? How does anything anyone says about any club ever damage it? You're being too sensitive about it all. If I go out and launch a campaign on my neighbour and call him a paedo, that will damage him. If Ronald Irani says something silly about City, Chelsea or any other club on the radio, it won't damage that particular club. If Irani goes on the show tomorrow and says City, Chelsea or any other club have paedo's working for them, it will damage the club but they don't say that do they? They talk about the nonsense world that is football and anyone knows to just laugh it off and take it for what it is - nonsense.

I don't listen to Talkshite any more because it is too annoying but if you think publicity is unimportant, you are not living in the real world. Publicity is one of the main reasons City were bought up by Abu Dhabi & there are people all over the world specifically employed to create a good image for businesses.

We spend fortunes on creating a good image at City because it matters. People in the media who don't like us, spend time getting accross any small point that puts us in a bad light, because when you put all the little bits together it creates the image of City which they prefer to project.

moomba said:
Pigeonho said:

So what?

Also, how does it 'damage' the club? Whatever it is Irani did or didn't do this morning, how has it damaged the club? How does anything anyone says about any club ever damage it? You're being too sensitive about it all. If I go out and launch a campaign on my neighbour and call him a paedo, that will damage him. If Ronald Irani says something silly about City, Chelsea or any other club on the radio, it won't damage that particular club. If Irani goes on the show tomorrow and says City, Chelsea or any other club have paedo's working for them, it will damage the club but they don't say that do they? They talk about the nonsense world that is football and anyone knows to just laugh it off and take it for what it is - nonsense.

I'm not sure how to answer this. If you think you mentioning paedo's is the only way to damage a club I'm not sure we're ever going to agree. Personally I think the influence of the media on football is enormous, from supporters, to sponsorships, to FA disciplinary proceedings. Clubs nowadays spend a fair bit on PR including monitoring the media and I wonder why they would do that if there wasn't the potential for the actions of the press to affect the club.

Fucking hell, Moomba. Pige isn't saying that the media branding X, Y or Z from the City squad as Paedo's is the only way to harm City on a public scale.

He's basically saying Ronnie Irani talking shit on Talksport isn't harming City.

Which it isn't.

Neville Kneville said:
Pigeonho said:
moomba said:
I don't get the attitude that it's ok for the media to print and say anything about us as we can simply not read or listen to it.

I'm sure the club doesn't have that attitude, and neither should we as supporters. There have been plenty of crap spoken about the club, and repeated almost to the extent it's treated as fact.

That damages the club and we should be able to discuss that on here without the snide digs and the anti-agenda police telling us that we should just change the channel.

FWIW I haven't listened to Talksport today and didn't hear the call being referred to.

I don't listen to Talkshite any more because it is too annoying but if you think publicity is unimportant, you are not living in the real world. Publicity is one of the main reasons City were bought up by Abu Dhabi & there are people all over the world specifically employed to create a good image for businesses.

We spend fortunes on creating a good image at City because it matters. People in the media who don't like us, spend time getting accross any small point that puts us in a bad light, because when you put all the little bits together it creates the image of City which they prefer to project.
The image to who? Fans of other clubs? Who cares if some Arsenal fan forms an opinion of us because the papers have spoken some bollocks? Who cares if some Arsenal fan forms a positive opinion of us because the papers have printed something good? It doesn't change how you feel about the club. Not one person cared about what the media said pre-take over, and I doubt the word 'agenda' was ever used, or rarely at least. It's as though people have this desire for all stories to be positive and that because we're now in the limelight instead of being an average club, people want everyone else to like us. It just doesn't matter what anyone thinks of the club other than how you see it, and if people are that easily swayed by the press, well who cares?

sjk2008 said:
Fucking hell, Moomba. Pige isn't saying that the media branding X, Y or Z from the City squad as Paedo's is the only way to harm City on a public scale.

He's basically saying Ronnie Irani talking shit on Talksport isn't harming City.

Which it isn't.

I wonder why the club employ people to monitor the media if "talking shit" doesn't have the capacity to cause damage to the club.

But you don't think it does and that's fair enough.

sjk2008 said:
moomba said:
Pigeonho said:

So what?

I'm not sure how to answer this. If you think you mentioning paedo's is the only way to damage a club I'm not sure we're ever going to agree. Personally I think the influence of the media on football is enormous, from supporters, to sponsorships, to FA disciplinary proceedings. Clubs nowadays spend a fair bit on PR including monitoring the media and I wonder why they would do that if there wasn't the potential for the actions of the press to affect the club.

Which it isn't.

I'd play a tape of his remarks this morning to our players before every remaining game. We can't control what the scum do but we can make sure we're in a position to capitalise if, much like last year, the scum's results start matching their performances.

Ronnie Irani on TS is amusing radio. He is such a clueless twat it is laughable. So many times Brazil has to correct him. Or there is 'dead' air following his pronouncements and you just know everyone in the studio is looking at him thinking "WTF is this c**t on about?".

Why people get annoyed at him is beyond me. He is car-crash radio. It's brilliant. He is the Joey Deacon of broadcasting.

moomba said:
sjk2008 said:

Which it isn't.

I wonder why the club employ people to monitor the media if "talking shit" doesn't have the capacity to cause damage to the club.

But you don't think it does and that's fair enough.

They employ people to monitor the media so that if anything has been said that does warrant further action, they have the people in place to do so.

I would take a guess that when Ronnie Irani opens his mouth, unless he labels Aguero a rapist or tells the world that Sheikh Mansour has commited mass genocide, I don't think people take much notice of him. His opinions on footballing matters are about has sensible and valid as those of Eamonn Holmes' and I don't think I'm the only one who holds that opinion.

There is nothing wrong with some robust criticism of City..they deserve it after the Saints performance. But the problem here is about factual accuracy. Radio Stations like Talksport and the tabloids repeat lies about City constantly especially about our spending in relation to huge-spenders like United and Chelsea. Eventually these innacuracies become accepted as so-called "truth" by most of the public. This is potentially very damaging to our brand and image. The most notorious example of this is the way Liverpool fans were destroyed by years of innaccurate stories (not just the Sun either)
The Hillsborough coverage is an extreme example but it makes the point that the "drip drip" affect of innaccurate journalism can be hugely damaging. I don't believe there is an anti-City agenda at work but the club must be strong in the way it rebutts these sort of slurs. I sometimes think our PR team is a bit too soft( I am not suggesting a return to the days of Paul Tyrell either as confrontation can be counter-productive)

Classic lines this morning. 2 messages sent into the station, one from John 'The City Fan' from Stockport read out by Stubbs and the very next was Paul 'The United Fan' from Manchester which Irani read out. St Ron was very gleeful with his 'Manchesterrrrrrrr' impression.

The Flash said:
Ronnie Irani on TS is amusing radio. He is such a clueless twat it is laughable. So many times Brazil has to correct him. Or there is 'dead' air following his pronouncements and you just know everyone in the studio is looking at him thinking "WTF is this c**t on about?".

Why people get annoyed at him is beyond me. He is car-crash radio. It's brilliant. He is the Joey Deacon of broadcasting.

PMSL - you're showing your age with that one, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.