Talksport

Discussion in 'General football forum' started by manimanc, 3 Nov 2014.

1. Salford_Blue

Salford_Blue

Closely followed by the guy from Coral, telling everyone that the website was down, so we must all get down to the shops to get your bets on.

Lupo likes this.
  2. crazyg

crazyg

I think players such as Dixie Dean may disagree with that statement. And that's off the top of my head.

Vienna_70 and spider blue like this.
  3. johnevans

johnevans

Absolutely the best, as you say.. Statistics alone show Greaves way ahead of everyone else in the history of the English game. What they don't show is the fear he struck into every opposing team/set of fans in the build up to the game when due to play against him, for the best part of a decade. He was that good. He was almost unstoppable for at least 6-7 seasons from 1959-68 and took Chelsea and then Spurs, when he returned from Milan, both to different levels of attacking threat.

I know there are arguments regarding different eras of the game which show that things have 'improved' over time (including levels of fitness, technical skills and tactics) But Greaves was a sublime goalscorer and his spatial awareness alone would see him thrive in today's game (if he could be arsed to turn in for training, that is!) I'm glad I saw him live, several times, along with the likes of his team mate John ('The Ghost') White and others such as Alex ('The Golden Vision') Young at Everton, 'Slim' Jim Baxter (Sunderland and Forest), Bobby Moore (West Ham) and so on. The modern obsession, especially among media-johnnies, with 'all things Premiership' means that these true greats of the game have their achievements diminished/eroded by the obsession with whoever is the latest flavour of the month according to those very media types, who are only concerned with chasing click-bait..

4. The Light Was Yellow Sir

The Light Was Yellow Sir

Brian Clough was none too shabby either.

5. Ric

Ric

Dixie Dean wasn't bad either.

6. domalino

domalino

It's really pointless to compare them.

When Jimmy Greaves was playing, there was on average 4 goals a game. Now there's about 2.7. He was playing 42 game league seasons but only playing once a week.

With Dixie Dean, things like the offside rule don't even exist, the quality of the football is incomparable, and most defensive tactics haven't even been invented yet.

Imagine how many Sergio or Shearer would get if he only had to play once a week, and every game had nearly 2x as many goals because defending was so much worse?

The reason people use "Premier League" stats is because 1992 is a pretty good marker for the beginning of this modern era of football. The offside rule gets close to its modern iteration, the pass back rule comes in, the European Cup becomes the CL and the PL is created which creates this huge influx of money at the top. The Bosman rule changes up transfers across Europe as well and everyone (except germany) settles on 38 games a season.

It's a good bookend for modern football, and comparing across the era's is an exercise in futility IMO.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2020 at 3:52 PM
  7. GAZZA

GAZZA

I've learnt a lot about the old days from this thank you, the main thing being that they had crap nick-names back then ;-)

johnevans likes this.
  8. ganganvince

ganganvince

Bit like them police reality shows none of them nicknames are at all imaginative.

9. domalino

domalino

Kane is further behind Aguero in terms of goals scored now then he was when he made his debut.

He's nowhere near the conversation between Aguero/Shearer/Henry at the moment.

Lupo likes this.
  10. Chris in London

Chris in London

Chopper Harris didn't. Neither did Banksy.

(Nobby Stiles, I'll grant you.)